HOLY CRAPOLY! Badlands 12000lb Winch on Sale for $290 !!!

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Let me quickly apply Herbie's Harbor Freight "Should I trust this?" litmus test:

Q) Will failure of this tool cause me injury or death?

A) Failure mode of this tool is likely that it will fail to winch. Catastrophic/explosive failure seems unlikely and is mitigated by standard safety procedures.

Result: This item passes. If I needed a winch, I'd put this on the list.

(For reference, items that Fail Herbie's HF Litmus test: Spring Compressors, Jack Stands, overhead lifting tools, fasteners used in any load-bearing application)

I always think about my Harbor freight jacks and stands when I'm under my truck. I try and use extras, and even some big wood blocks for back up.

goatherder

no trepidation
Oh ... my ... gosh. Really? How about this: Buy a brand new Warn 9000 lb. winch and get a way better product all the way around for about $100 more....

You must learn how to rig. I can rig my 9000 lb. Warn to lift as much as that 12,000 lb. badlands with proper rigging....

My advice: Go for a decent quality winch and learn how to rig properly.

Oh...my...gosh. Yew must be purty smart. Only a genius could figure out how to put a snatch block on a winch line. I got news for you Einstein, it won't make your 9K Chinese Warn winch pull like a 12K Badlands which.

Nope, you add a snatch block and hook the line back to your bumper and you have now doubled the pulling power of your winch. So if you ever manage to stall out that winch when it's rigged that way, each of your winch lines will have 9000 pounds on them, and your snatch block & tree strap will have 18k.

Hope you're not using a Chinese snatch block along with your Chinese winch. I've seen a lot of those fail. Mine are made in Denmark.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Oh ... my ... gosh. Really? How about this: Buy a brand new Warn 9000 lb. winch and get a way better product all the way around for about $100 more. (You can find them on-sale for $499 - $100 discount if you look) The speed, overall rating, and quality of the components makes a difference. Check out where the Badlands winches are made. China. Caveat: You must learn how to rig. I can rig my 9000 lb. Warn to lift as much as that 12,000 lb. badlands with proper rigging. Safety is a high priority, and I've seen some incredibly stupid rigging in my life. I've stopped a person or two before they killed or injured someone with a bad rigging job.

My advice: Go for a decent quality winch and learn how to rig properly.

Hate to say it but those warns that are less than $1000 are made in china.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader
Badland's are not moisture protected/sealed.
Search XRC8 Smittybilt it's your best buy.

Got a source for that?

Better yet, got a source that says Warns are any better?

http://offroaders.com/reviewbox/showproduct.php?product=859

IP Rating IP 66 - Winch and Controls
(except remote control switch,
resistant to powerful water jets)

-----

http://www.budind.com/blog/2014/02/the-mysteries-of-ip-rated-enclosures-explained/

IP66 Enclosures
Able to protect against powerful water jets Water projected in powerful jets (12.5 mm nozzle) against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects. Test duration: at least 3 minutes
Water volume: 100 litres per minute
Pressure: 100 kPa at distance of 3 m

homeguy

Observer
I've had warn winches as long as I've been wheeling. I've only had one break down on me. Other than that every time I would go to use it it worked. Got me out of some pretty bad situations. Parts are easy to get and it doesn't matter how old it is. Dependability is what I'm concerned with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

another_mike

Adventurer
It would be interesting to see their motor & geartrain construction.
Electric winches are no different than a Skilsaw or moms vibrator. Details of construction rules.
Despite many H.F. Power tools perform remarkably good for their pricetag, but open them up & its obvious they skimp on details what assure long life & reliability.
Do a YouTube search. There are videos of guys that disassemble them.

rayra

Expedition Leader
This 12k Badlands winch is marked down to $280 in their upcoming 'parking lot sale', Oct 13-15
BUT their ubiquitous 20% coupons exclude their use on 'Parking Lot Sale' items. And the parking lot sale price is more than 20% off their 'regular' pricing ($379) anyway.

I've noticed that these winches cycle thru 'sale' pricing every several weeks. Much like Mossberg shotguns at Big5. If you can't afford it now, wait a bit and it will be on sale again soon enough.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
@gotherder ... Are you confusing me? So I guess you are a big fan of poorly made winches and poor rigging? With my several degrees, I can't quite understand your point. My recommendation is still 100% that he should buy a decent winch and learn to rig properly instead of buying a cheaply made winch and relying on it 100% to make up for poor rigging (which is what many people do - and btw, just using a snatch block does not make proper rigging. Case in point.). Please don't troll my posts. I didn't slam you just for fun, so why do you feel the need to slam others because they have all that edumacation?

How could anybody NOT troll your arrogant posts? You barged right in here and took a steaming dump on anybody who'd deign to consider anything but a Warn. And YOU want people not to troll YOUR posts. Just ludicrous.

I say this as one professional a**hole to another, ease off a bit, brother.

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
This 12k Badlands winch is marked down to $280 in their upcoming 'parking lot sale', Oct 13-15
BUT their ubiquitous 20% coupons exclude their use on 'Parking Lot Sale' items. And the parking lot sale price is more than 20% off their 'regular' pricing ($379) anyway.

I've noticed that these winches cycle thru 'sale' pricing every several weeks. Much like Mossberg shotguns at Big5. If you can't afford it now, wait a bit and it will be on sale again soon enough.

The coupon posted earlier in the thread ($289) is valid until 11/21/17. Not sure if you can double up with the added 20% off general coupon thou.

badlands.JPG

rayra

Expedition Leader
@rayra - ******? Are you a complete illiterate? Or are you just another troll on what is usually a pretty good website? My original post stated my advice was, "My advice: Go for a decent quality winch and learn how to rig properly." I didn't demand obedience to Warn. The point being that proper winching and proper rigging can make a decent quality winch that has a smaller capacity every bit as good as a heavier capacity winch that is poorly made and won't last long. Sounds like horrible advice ... and I'm not your brother. Man, some people can be totally stupid when they troll.

well so much for that. All bile and no funny bone. Goodbye.

E.J.

Explorer
Woah relax, I was just finding it humorous that you specifically pointed out that badlands winches are made in China in the same breath that you were suggesting another Chinese made winch. Irony.
FWIW I've got a Chinese made Superwinch waiting to get mounted to my truck, Warn VR was up for consideration but the Superwinch was a better deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior