Who does a timing belt at 70k miles?

FJOE

Regular Dude
I just called my guy for waterpump/timing belt replacement.
OEM belt/generic pump
$450

Just in case someone was wondering what it should cost.
Not $1100 in 2007 (that equals $1300 in today's money in case you were wondering)

Yeah but it was done at the dealer. They are going to use the Aisin pump and all other Toyota parts.

Last edited:

zimm

Expedition Leader
i did mine at 130000 and 10 years old. the belt was pristine.

dont get your panties in a wad, those intervals are set so there are zero failures out of 1,000,000 engines at that point.

relax, shop around, quit assuming, and use oem parts. all is well in the world.

Deshet

Adventurer
Keep in mind that those that buy Land Cruisers new have deeper pockets than those that buy them used. I have bought a few vehicles from people that provided the dealerships with basically a blank check.

Not to start a war but the 6 year period is a joke.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Keep in mind that those that buy Land Cruisers new have deeper pockets than those that buy them used. I have bought a few vehicles from people that provided the dealerships with basically a blank check.

Not to start a war but the 6 year period is a joke.

the truck doesnt know that, and it still wants premium parts, and more of them.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
i did mine at 130000 and 10 years old. the belt was pristine.

dont get your panties in a wad, those intervals are set so there are zero failures out of 1,000,000 engines at that point.

relax, shop around, quit assuming, and use oem parts. all is well in the world.

I'm 28,000 past the 90,000 interval on mine and it somehow hasn't spontaneously combusted yet. I don't know if I'll push it to 40,000 past and join the 130,000 mile club, but you never know;)

I do have the complete Aisin kit including water pump sitting in the shop. What I don't have is time. Must get my cloning machine back online.

Deshet

Adventurer
the truck doesnt know that, and it still wants premium parts, and more of them.

I was talking about the original topic, nothing to do with aftermarket parts. The owner probably just did what ever the dealer recommended and didn't pay attention to dates or intervals

zimm

Expedition Leader
has anyone here ever heard of anyone popping a timing belt before or near the 90k interval?

i never have, but thats really good question for one of the shop guys on mud. ask kurt at cruiser outfitters, or beno.

nuclearlemon

Adventurer
sorry, closest i can come to the o.p.s complaint is that i have to swap out a cam gear at 56 years as preventative maintenance. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles