2013 F450 Lance Camper Utility Bed Build

duals are squirrly. sic

im the leading expert on what cannot be accomplished with duals. for i have tried all combinations of earth surface beneath my duallies

top of the list of unaccomplishables is:
is going off road
most of my adult life i have been the pilot of a dual rear wheeled truck. much of that time off road and overloaded.
clumsy beasts, they will get u stuck on any surface, and of course the overloaded truck is impossible to unstick. jerk it with a chain ,push it with a track hoe or dozer they skid along merrily plowing through the mud jamming up between the duals and squeezing into the brakes. so now you have , in good weather 100 pounds of tire and wheel on each end of the axle jammed with goo, weighing 200 pounds, and your posi unit is burning up trying to spin both of these globs at once. i learned to go with open diff as they will last forever. and of course are useless when stuck.

mud, is the worst, unless u count sand, or snow. Stay home if its icy, and on bloomin' wet pavement they aint so smiley either. and they tend to bust posi units out quickly, and brakes get hot.
but they tow nicely ;if you have drum brakes they slack off

i promise u that you will find roads your srw took ,are impassable with duals.

tip: buy, or after a severe snow storm, gather up big truck tire chains thrown off passing trucks; 3 railers they are called , jack up your rig and put them on then measure and cut them down to size to fit your rig. 3 railers have 3 longitudinal chains wth the cross ribs between for traction. learn to put these on laying on your back in a puddle of sweat and melted snow, do it b4 u need them, as putting them on after u need them is impossible.

having shot my mouth off i can say that the only trucks i own are duallies-fords mostly.

so they are good for something, like cross winds and stock trailers, thats about all they are good for

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
duals are squirrly. sic

im the leading expert on what cannot be accomplished with duals. for i have tried all combinations of earth surface beneath my duallies

top of the list of unaccomplishables is:
is going off road
most of my adult life i have been the pilot of a dual rear wheeled truck. much of that time off road and overloaded.
clumsy beasts, they will get u stuck on any surface, and of course the overloaded truck is impossible to unstick. jerk it with a chain ,push it with a track hoe or dozer they skid along merrily plowing through the mud jamming up between the duals and squeezing into the brakes. so now you have , in good weather 100 pounds of tire and wheel on each end of the axle jammed with goo, weighing 200 pounds, and your posi unit is burning up trying to spin both of these globs at once. i learned to go with open diff as they will last forever. and of course are useless when stuck.

mud, is the worst, unless u count sand, or snow. Stay home if its icy, and on bloomin' wet pavement they aint so smiley either. and they tend to bust posi units out quickly, and brakes get hot.
but they tow nicely ;if you have drum brakes they slack off

i promise u that you will find roads your srw took ,are impassable with duals.

tip: buy, or after a severe snow storm, gather up big truck tire chains thrown off passing trucks; 3 railers they are called , jack up your rig and put them on then measure and cut them down to size to fit your rig. 3 railers have 3 longitudinal chains wth the cross ribs between for traction. learn to put these on laying on your back in a puddle of sweat and melted snow, do it b4 u need them, as putting them on after u need them is impossible.

having shot my mouth off i can say that the only trucks i own are duallies-fords mostly.

so they are good for something, like cross winds and stock trailers, thats about all they are good for

racer3822

Observer
41" Goodyear G275's

A few months ago I tried to do an update through my phone and thought it went through, but apparently it didn't! In any case I have been busy the last 6 months, mostly with life and getting married and not as much building truck. However I finally did get the tires on.

Went with the Goodyear G275 41" tires. In order to accommodate them I had to do a few things.

1) Took advice from another board member S2DM and went with Double Designs fiberglass fenders. They mated up pretty well, with these fenders and some clearancing/welding they were able to fit the 41" tires without a lift which was the goal to keep COG down.

Tires with stock fenders removed.
0516171219a (Medium).jpg

Like S2DM, I cut off the front support, but I welded in a tube bracket to support it higher up were I think he reused the stock cut off. With the tube bracket it didn't interfere with the headlight and didn't rub the tire when turning and flexing.

20170522_200911 (Medium).jpg

20170522_165931 (Medium).jpg

2) I had to move the bumper forward 4" for now. I used longer bolts and these spacers to do it.
90264A222p1-b01-digital@1x_635935794115401870 (1).png

3) Already had my tires on order from Stazworks. They do good work but it took 3 months to get them! I opted to go with the beadlock donuts and at the spacing they are completely rotatable to any corner.

4) I re-geared with 5.38 ring & pinion. When regearing I added a limited slip in the rear Dana 110, with an Eaton "True Trac". Added an Auburn gear e-locker for the front. I'm hoping this helps in snow conditions!

Immediately following the gearing I installed the tires. Final Product:
IMG_20170707_185905 (Medium).jpg

0621170913a (Medium).jpg

20170629_192331 (Medium).jpg

The Stazworks tires I ordered with balancing beeds. To make sure they don't get past the donut he installs 2 air filters into the holes in the beadlock donuts. Stazworks came up with that solution. When I opened up my Stazworks wheels, which are split with the plastic beadlock inside, I had absolutely no beads that got past the beadlock. Most of them were stuck to the tire where they should be actually. I ended up vacuuming them all out because I was getting a really bad shimmy at high speeds and pursued another form of balancing. When driving 10 hours a day it gets on your nerves!
0909171213 (Medium).jpg

My end solution to help the balancing was to vacuum out all of the beads and take them to a Goodyear truck service center who had a large enough balancer for my tires. I also was concerned about the inner beadlock donut, and was considering splitting the rim and removing it for balancing and then reinstalling marking where the tire and rim was, but I figure that in itself will cause more problems moving things around so I would just balance with them in place and hope they are negligible in how they affect the balancing.

After balancing I also added the centramatics and they seem to do well at nipping the final balancing of the tire. Perhaps they compensate for any movement of the donut?

In the end it still has a little bit of a shimmy at 65mph, but nothing like it used to! I do yearn for the days of 35" completely smooth ride tires at times, but the trade off is worth it now.

racer3822

Observer
Toolbox

I forgot to add that I also managed to get my onboard toolbox organized and figured out a way to keep all the sockets from bouncing around. I bought a regular plastic tool chest from Sears and cut it all up and added a hinged acrylic lid over them! I know, fancy, but it works... Also was able to set the other half of the socket set on top and they all stay pretty much where they should.

0910171609_HDR (Medium).jpg

0910171620_HDR (Medium).jpg

racer3822

Observer
Dude that's so sick. Love the big diesel

Thank you!

How does the truck with those tires and heavy camper handle on the highway and around town?

It handles great actually. I was really worried about the higher COG and larger sidewall but it handles very well.

Tracking - It seems to track very well. It doesn't seem to jump back and forth between the lines in the pavement as much as the stock dually tires.

Noise - It is louder than the stock, but its a low rumble instead of a high pitch wine.

Wind - It still handles the wind fairly well. I am a little higher up and the COG is higher, and there's nothing I can do to mitigate that, but perhaps the wider stance in the front helps? This is the biggest thing that I was worried about actually and so far I'm happy with how it's been performing.

Cornering - At speed, on highway mountain driving with sharper windy turns I do feel I have to slow down more. Again, higher center of gravity. For in town type of turns or coming out of driveways I haven't changed my driving habits at all.

Ride - It is a much smoother ride under 55 MPH. You don't feel the bumps as much. Right now I am having a balancing issue that I believe is caused by the inner bead lock donuts, as it comes and goes which I think is the donut moving around. I feel after I fix this, or just give up on having an internal bead lock, the ride will improve above 55 MPH compared to the stock tires too.

MPG - This has suffered, but I'm not sure by how much. I'm guessing 1.5 MPG or so. The odometer is no longer accurate, even though I installed a module to make the speedometer accurate it doesn't seem to fix the odometer. I need to use a GPS to monitor miles exactly and discover by what percentage they are off to calculate what I'm really doing.

In the end I would still do it, even though I need to fix the balancing issue ASAP as its driving me nuts. I just drove 11 hours to Moab and by the end of each drive the shaking was getting under my skin.

ripperj

Explorer
Slick build, I love the bed and I would not sweat the $20k bed, that thing will last many trucks. Even if you buy a new chassis cab work truck and throw the $20k bed on it, you are still less than the stock bed King Ranch loaded, and that has $30k of crap that nobody needs.
My situation is similar to your original story, Ram 2500 that meets my immediate needs, but I need more truck to haul a motorcycle and other toys. Next truck will get a custom bed like yours, I may bug you for details:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

racer3822

Observer
Slick build, I love the bed and I would not sweat the $20k bed, that thing will last many trucks. Even if you buy a new chassis cab work truck and throw the $20k bed on it, you are still less than the stock bed King Ranch loaded, and that has $30k of crap that nobody needs.
My situation is similar to your original story, Ram 2500 that meets my immediate needs, but I need more truck to haul a motorcycle and other toys. Next truck will get a custom bed like yours, I may bug you for details:)

Thank you! I don't have any regrets anymore. Buying the truck at auction with no bed saved me half of what a new one was and you are right, I'm still under the new price substantially or if I had to buy another chassis cab I would be too. After reading some other build threads whenever you are doing a custom build there is going to be money spent, most just don't talk about how much. Hell, I just read someone else spend quite more than I did on a bed system and it ended up as "yard art". To each their own, people will have their opinions.

Dude I just had to go back and look, 7 2” receivers! That's got to be an Expo record

That's funny because I hear that ALOT! It's always a funny topic. Trust me, each one of those receivers was put there for a specific purpose, and besides who doesn't love the versatility a 2" receiver allows for future things not thought of? Hopefully in the next year I'll get a chance to weld together some of what I'm envisioning for them. First will be the fold down spare tire holder to the left of the camper door.

ripperj

Explorer
I wasn’t being critical it’s very practical,, I’m going to put two on the front and two more on the rear of my Ram, mostly for bike racks and my genny, maybe a keg :)

racer3822

Observer
I wasn't being critical it's very practical,, I'm going to put two on the front and two more on the rear of my Ram, mostly for bike racks and my genny, maybe a keg :)

Its all good, I didn't think you were being critical at all! Just recalling how I think its funny when people notice them

racer3822

Observer
Started a project to get my spare tire swing down done. Goal is to be able to fold down the tire either to remove it for use, ortake the camper on and off with it folded down. Can't do a swing out jeep style or it would hit the jack when pulling the camper off.

Made it with a stop at the top and another when you fold it down. After this I'm probably going to add a bike rack to the top.

3/7 Slide hitches now used :LOL:

20180411_175407.jpg
videotogif_2018.04.18_17.45.51.gif
videotogif_2018.04.18_17.54.15.gif

java

Expedition Leader
Awesome build, not sure how i missed it!

So is your track width equal front to rear? I have a set of hutchinson 19.5's I am going to run, was thinking about running just the outer in the rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles