Blender, My LX450/FZJ80 + FJ45esk + GM + Land Rover crazy concoction

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Looks great Brennan.

What's your question? I have the sliding uppers for my Rover if you need pics or some measurements.

Pics would be great for ideas.

I am basically looking for the 'source' for the parts that these style of windows are made out of. Stuff like the extruded aluminum channels, slider felts, latches, etc. That stuff has to be out there.....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
After MUCH morning google-**** this is where I ended up....

This is a window system by CR Laurence that basically does what I want. It basically just snaps into a hole. The cost doesn't seem too bad. It should work on all 4 windows that I will need ( fronts and split rears) with common parts.

The unanswered questions so far....

-Where to get glass cut/made? Tempered?....or just use lexan?
-I need some kind of latch for the inside. I haven't been able to find that yet
-The gasket is only rated for use up to a 0.140 thick flange. That throws a bit of a wrench in my plans for the construction of the door.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Anyone out there know anything about sliding windows and how they are made?

For your door windows, you might check on the size of other windows that are currently available to see if they might fit your application. For example, here's a link to a kit for retrofitting JK half door uppers with sliders, perhaps they would fit your application: http://www.retrofitoffroad.com/shop...retrofit-half-door-slider-kit-jeep-jk-2-door/. I have some here (I designed them for the company in the link) so I could measure them if that interest you.

Custom slider windows can cost $250 each or more, depending on the size and complexity of the window. One place you can have them made is Motion Windows (https://www.motionwindows.com/). They have a quote request process you can use to get a price, it starts with this form: http://www.rvwindows.com//wp-content/uploads/2015/12/New-Order-Summary-Worksheet-RV6.pdf

Rectangular slider windows are easier to come by, they are often available on eBay. I buy windows at RV Surplus outlets in the Elkhart, Indiana area (Elkhart is the Detroit of the RV industry). For example, the slider windows in my current trailer project came from a surplus outlet; they were about $25 each.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The unanswered questions so far....

-Where to get glass cut/made? Tempered?....or just use lexan?
You'll be disappointed with Lexan before too long.

Lest year I had tempered glass windows made for my custom hardtop project. I called around to automotive and other glass companies in the area and found one that could cut the glass and send it out for tempering. The resulting windows are excellent, and the price for all 7 windows including the powered vent windows which each require 3 holes in the glass for the hardware was a little over $500.

FlatFendersFinal12_zpsi3ddv9fj.jpg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
For your door windows, you might check on the size of other windows that are currently available to see if they might fit your application. For example, here's a link to a kit for retrofitting JK half door uppers with sliders, perhaps they would fit your application: http://www.retrofitoffroad.com/shop...retrofit-half-door-slider-kit-jeep-jk-2-door/. I have some here (I designed them for the company in the link) so I could measure them if that interest you.

Custom slider windows can cost $250 each or more, depending on the size and complexity of the window. One place you can have them made is Motion Windows (https://www.motionwindows.com/). They have a quote request process you can use to get a price, it starts with this form: http://www.rvwindows.com//wp-content/uploads/2015/12/New-Order-Summary-Worksheet-RV6.pdf

Rectangular slider windows are easier to come by, they are often available on eBay. I buy windows at RV Surplus outlets in the Elkhart, Indiana area (Elkhart is the Detroit of the RV industry). For example, the slider windows in my current trailer project came from a surplus outlet; they were about $25 each.

Thank you so much for peaking in over here to impart some wisdom. I have spent a fair bit of the day re-reading some of your top threads.

At this point, I would pay $250 each for a window happily. Some of the quotes I have been getting back have been north of $1100 EACH.

I have been talking with Motion Windows a bit, they are out of the office for the holidays however. It looks like I will need to see what they say for sure.

I'd like to keep the window in front as large as I can, the rear panels can have smaller windows. Devil is in the details.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Given your mad skill with sheetmetal, you could forego the rubber & just fabricate a channel what the felted slider channel is bedded into. Leave out rubber can increase overall opening about 2”.
The fixed glass can simply bed into suitable isolation such as urethane sealant.

Laminated glass is nice that you can diy, but I suggest tempered. Any good glass shop can make them. Its not all that expensive.

As far as locking.
My camper using a similar window uses a simple flipper block what flips into place, blocks the slider channel.

While I appreciate your faith in my fab skills, making all this stuff from scratch isn't on the top of my list for time management.

I am waiting on a few more quotes on having some window assemblies made for me. If I can get the cost down I will just go that way. I need to pick some battles if I ever want to finish this thing.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Todays mini-project.....

I finally made some fill in panels for the gap behind the fender. Overall, I am really happy with the improved look with that area filled in. They are just flanged to the inside and will bolt to the fender. This should let me dial in the position during final assembly....and let me change my mind later if I don't like it.

Some of the process....

It all usually starts with a template made of chipboard.

Transfer to some aluminum scrap. I feel bad for keeping stuff like this around sometimes, but I always seem to find a use for them somewhere in the build.

You can never have too many clamps can you? I drilled and tapped my welding table years back with a 6x6 pattern in 3/8-16. That has been VERY handy over the years for jigging up projects. In this case I used some small sections of 2" angle to set the parts at 90 deg for the welding process.

I TIG welded the parts together with some 1" stitch welds and let it cool in the jig. Sometimes it is tough to know when to stop welding. The more you weld the more the parts will pull. Since this is only an aesthetic part it didn't need to much.....but I did need the flange to be at 90 to the outer valance. In the end it worked well with only a slight trim and tweak for the final fit.

Bonus.....

I found some hose clamps for the air compressor tank mount. Win.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
CR Lawrence makes top notch glass components, but are usually very expensive. I use a lot of their stuff. I would also suggest you use tempered glass. Lexan sucks. For just single glazed tempered in an automotive thickness, you should be paying around $10-$12 per square foot at most. You could also have it done in tinted glass too.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
CR Lawrence makes top notch glass components, but are usually very expensive. I use a lot of their stuff. I would also suggest you use tempered glass. Lexan sucks. For just single glazed tempered in an automotive thickness, you should be paying around $10-$12 per square foot at most. You could also have it done in tinted glass too.

Please tell me more!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I've mostly used CRLs residential stuff. Most of my automotive type glass work is rv related. Have you considered premade rv type sliders? I've linked a couple below. They come in a ton of different sizes and shapes. If they don't float your boat, I can put you in touch with one of my journeyman glazier guys. He is just finishing a Hilux “expo-crawler” so would probably be keen to help a fellow Toyota guy get his build completed. He has done every aspect of glass before and will have 10x the insight I do.

https://www.amazon.com/C-R-LAURENCE...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FNP5Q0WRHVX1BWB7M6MH

https://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Tech...rd_wg=bSsts&psc=1&refRID=FNP5Q0WRHVX1BWB7M6MH

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I've mostly used CRLs residential stuff. Most of my automotive type glass work is rv related. Have you considered premade rv type sliders? I've linked a couple below. They come in a ton of different sizes and shapes. If they don't float your boat, I can put you in touch with one of my journeyman glazier guys. He is just finishing a Hilux “expo-crawler” so would probably be keen to help a fellow Toyota guy get his build completed. He has done every aspect of glass before and will have 10x the insight I do.

https://www.amazon.com/C-R-LAURENCE...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FNP5Q0WRHVX1BWB7M6MH

https://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Tech...rd_wg=bSsts&psc=1&refRID=FNP5Q0WRHVX1BWB7M6MH

Using RV/boat windows is high on my list. I am waiting on some more info and a quote from Motion Windows. They seem to be the go to place for custom windows. I have had quotes all over the place however from other places....1100....600....etc.

The shape of the window is also a big factor. I don't really want a square/rectangle side window. I want it to look nice. I am willing to spend a bit of extra money for that.

The rear windows ( I have a split rear window panel design ) can be anything. I just need to find the right size window. I'll look through the links to those RV places on amazon.

mtnkid85

Adventurer
Wow, just finished the thread. Great job.

I enjoy seeing your work and picking up your little tidbits here and there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94