Colorado Camper Van Review (CCV)- Buyer Beware

Drizzt

Free Sarcasm Available
I always recommend SMB for pop tops, haven't seen any visible quality benefit to CCV.

For me and I think a lot of others, the big reason for looking at CCV is the high top pop-top. If SMB started offering one I bet people would be all over it, I know I would be. However, when I've talked to SMB they don't seem much interested in the E-Series these days which I guess isn't surprising as they seem to have a huge demand for Sprinter work. Opt Overland is another high top option, but there appears to be little to no real world feedback on them. The MG pop-top talk seems to have disappeared. Are there even any other options out there for the E-Series?

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
^This. Fine if you stay on asphalt, but the way the top is attached around the perimeter will cause cracks and leaks as the chassis flexes off-road (especially during my hamfisted off-roading forays). The flex is felt in a properly designed lifting rigging when installed as a pop top.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I’ve always heard a fixed high top would mostly crack with the body flexing associated with off-roading.

Let’s face it... you’re cutting the roof structure out of what is basically a big box. There’s going to be flex no matter what. Flex in the top, flex in the van body and flex in whatever structure is in between connecting the two. How your suspension is setup will play a big roll in how much is transferred to the body. I’ve seen multiple examples of crooked pop tops, but I don’t recall anyone posting that their fixed top is cracking.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Fixed tops are fiberglass. They sorta suck from the start so who cares. If it cracks it can be fixed.

another_mike

Adventurer
Let's face it... you're cutting the roof structure out of what is basically a big box. There's going to be flex no matter what. Flex in the top, flex in the van body and flex in whatever structure is in between connecting the two. How your suspension is setup will play a big roll in how much is transferred to the body. I've seen multiple examples of crooked pop tops, but I don't recall anyone posting that their fixed top is cracking.

Fixed tops are fiberglass. They sorta suck from the start so who cares. If it cracks it can be fixed.
Yes, there will be flex no matter what... but won't a fiberglass fixed top be more prone to water leaks compared to a pop top that doesn't require that solid seal?

Jsweezy

Explorer
Yes, there will be flex no matter what... but won't a fiberglass fixed top be more prone to water leaks compared to a pop top that doesn't require that solid seal?

Not sure how others are sealed but mine has 2 different adhesives all around the base of the top attaching it to the roof of the van and then has sealent on top of that. If any water gets in my van it will be from the thru hull fitting from my solar panel or the fan.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Yes, there will be flex no matter what... but won’t a fiberglass fixed top be more prone to water leaks compared to a pop top that doesn’t require that solid seal?

Canvas still requires sealant. Look at how the sealant has split on the OP’s newly installed top. (Page 1). The pop top relies on a pressure fit bulb seal to keep out the weather when down and a seal where the canvas meets the sheet metal roof. Both are prone to leaks over time or in wind driven rain while driving.

For the record: I don’t even like factory sunroofs because of water intrusion, so I am totally biased. If I was going to do another van, it would be a factory mid or high top Transit.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
i don't have sealant between my canvas and van body. have only seen it leak once and it was when i was doing 75-80mph on the freeway during a torrential downpour. even then, it was very little moisture that made it into the cab. one square of paper towel was more than enough to dry it up. i do plan on putting a bead between van and canvas, but haven't got that far yet. i cant say with other chassis' but with the econoline, the way the roof is shaped makes it pretty hard to leak inside under the canvas (unless its wind driven or forced under the canvas somehow). all areas where canvas is affixed to van roof aim downward from canvas so it just runs off naturally to the rain gutters.

interesting about the fixed tops and flexing. had never really given that much thought, but seems like a valid issue. has anyone personally seen a fixed top stress crack from chassis flex? i know the van flexes quite a bit. when are out in rougher country ive seen our dome lights come on quite a bit which means the chassis is flexing enough to move the doors far enough away from the switch that tells the dope scope to go off when doors are shut. seems like a pop top would be a better match for someone really getting out in the sticks and flexing the chassis a lot since it just basically floats up on top and can move around as needed.

another_mike

Adventurer
interesting about the fixed tops and flexing. had never really given that much thought, but seems like a valid issue. has anyone personally seen a fixed top stress crack from chassis flex? i know the van flexes quite a bit. when are out in rougher country ive seen our dome lights come on quite a bit which means the chassis is flexing enough to move the doors far enough away from the switch that tells the dope scope to go off when doors are shut. seems like a pop top would be a better match for someone really getting out in the sticks and flexing the chassis a lot since it just basically floats up on top and can move around as needed.

I not only have the dome light come on, but the top latch on the side 40 door unlatched. But I'm probably one of the few that take the van where 90% of others wouldn't

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
^^^ i haven't had that happen with the 40 door...at least i don't think, lol. i have reached a few camps after less than desirable roads and found those doors not all the way shut, so maybe?? i always blamed it on the wife not getting that door completely shut. either way theres a lot of people out there with fixed tops. youd think we would have heard about tops getting damaged from chassis flex before now if it was a common issue.

Drizzt

Free Sarcasm Available
I’ve always heard a fixed high top would mostly crack with the body flexing associated with off-roading.

^This. Fine if you stay on asphalt, but the way the top is attached around the perimeter will cause cracks and leaks as the chassis flexes off-road (especially during my hamfisted off-roading forays). The flex is felt in a properly designed lifting rigging when installed as a pop top.

So this is the first I've heard anybody say this about fixed high tops. Are these real world experiences or just opinions/conjecture? Asking because I've been holding my money in my pocket for close to two years waiting for a warm fuzzy on a CCV or for another option to appear but since neither of those has happened I have recently started researching fixed high tops because I'm getting REALLY tired of being hunched over in the van and not being able to finish the interior. But as I tend to wander off into places I probably shouldn't in my van, do I now need to consider that a fixed top may actually break on me?

Jsweezy

Explorer
Personally with my top from 5280 fabrication (MSD on the sportsmobile forum) my top flexes quite a bit and i cant imagine it would have any issues dealing with any flexing from the body. I also dont drive my van like a jeep either.

another_mike

Adventurer
Personally with my top from 5280 fabrication (MSD on the sportsmobile forum) my top flexes quite a bit and i cant imagine it would have any issues dealing with any flexing from the body. I also dont drive my van like a jeep either.

saw that 5280fab is working for CCV now....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles