Canadian Disco 2 Build

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Just to carry on the discussion, not that I'm really considering it but it's happening anyway. ;) The NV4500 weighs 195lbs, vs. the 100-110 for the R380. It's designed for a 1/2-3/4 ton American truck. Where would the shifter end up coming out? And this still doesn't mate it to the engine, or are we talking about a new engine here too? ;)

As to those complaining about the R380, have you considered the improvements made with the L-suffix?

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I'd never install an NV4500 in any vehicle of mine. Talk about a sloppy shifting transmission. Ever driven one of the big U-Haul trucks with a manual transmission? That's what it feels like. Sux

What other options for manual transmission besides the R380 are there? (Just to kick the can around)

Oilburner

Adventurer
Is your truck one of the silly ones with no dipstick that are impossible to flush properly without a LR scan tool?

Since you can't check the fluid and the vent is lower than the high water mark on that thing...

I would be buying a pan and dipstick from Dom and changing the fluid and the filter. It's gonna be apart for a month while you find a tranny, do it just for kicks.

That looks like mud and water, not burnt fluid and clutch material. I'd bet the filter is plugged but that it moves just fine afterwards. Does the fluid smell burnt?

Last edited:

Yorker

Adventurer
Just to carry on the discussion, not that I'm really considering it but it's happening anyway. ;) The NV4500 weighs 195lbs, vs. the 100-110 for the R380. It's designed for a 1/2-3/4 ton American truck. Where would the shifter end up coming out? And this still doesn't mate it to the engine, or are we talking about a new engine here too? ;)

I figured that was the point- new engine to avoid the issues the Rover V8 is known to have and new tranny to replace your screwed up slush box? Sure the NV4500 would be overbuilt for a Disco but - why not? Better overbuilt and under stressed truck components than marginal bits sourced from cars.

Land Rover made a business out of more or less making trucks from car components, that doesn't mean you have to do the same.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I'd never install an NV4500 in any vehicle of mine. Talk about a sloppy shifting transmission. Ever driven one of the big U-Haul trucks with a manual transmission? That's what it feels like. Sux

What other options for manual transmission besides the R380 are there? (Just to kick the can around)

Good point too. It's what I mean when I say I just don't want to do all these conversions. To one person, the shifting of the NV4500 is no big deal, considering the increased strength. But myself not knowing, I'd get the job done and say "******?" as it wouldn't be acceptable to me either.

Other options, I've seen conversions to put a Borg Warner T5 behind a Rover V8. Now that I might be interested in, as I've lived with a T5 and know what to expect. Of course, everybody complains about those boxes too. I'd consider that swap, but have no idea how to mate the T5 to an LT230.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Is your truck one of the silly ones with no dipstick that are impossible to flush properly without a LR scan tool?

Since you can't check the fluid and the vent is lower than the high water mark on that thing...

I would be buying a pan and dipstick from Dom and changing the fluid and the filter. It's gonna be apart for a month while you find a tranny, do it just for kicks.

That looks like mud and water, not burnt fluid and clutch material. I'd bet the filter is plugged but that it moves just fine afterwards. Does the fluid smell burnt?

Yes, no dipstick. Not sure about flushing with Testbook... All autos are hard to flush. I flushed it by doing like 5 oil changes. It was running clear when I was done.

I don't think it came in the vent, it probably happened as Muskyman said, through the front labyrinth seal.

I really don't think it's mud, at least not this time. I flushed it really thoroughly, then parked it for the winter, and haven't had it in any water since. So whatever it is, was already in the trans (clutch material ;) ) The bulk of the stuff in the filter is clutch material, I recognize it. No burnt smell at all.

I don't doubt it'll move fine. For a while. But this thing is done-for.

I wonder if there is any chance this has to do with the ZF 4HP22/24 design flaw. If you rev the engine in P or N to 2000, the forward clutch pressurizes and burns it out. It ends up looking a lot like this... and I had an emissions check done just before I noticed the problem... I read they fixed this issue at some point, but I don't know.

I figured that was the point- new engine to avoid the issues the Rover V8 is known to have and new tranny to replace your screwed up slush box? Sure the NV4500 would be overbuilt for a Disco but - why not? Better overbuilt and under stressed truck components than marginal bits sourced from cars.

Yeah, I guess. But if I wanted to drive an American truck, I'd just buy one. I'm trying to find the middle ground between the completely unservicable, no-dipstick-having, electro-hydraulic whizbangery 4HP24, and a truck transmission.

Yorker

Adventurer
Other options, I've seen conversions to put a Borg Warner T5 behind a Rover V8. Now that I might be interested in, as I've lived with a T5 and know what to expect. Of course, everybody complains about those boxes too. I'd consider that swap, but have no idea how to mate the T5 to an LT230.

Get a T5 from a Jeep CJ- that was hooked to a Dana 300, then use the AA adapter whenever that appears upon the scene(I'm just seeing series LR adapters on their websie at the moment).

I don't know why you'd want a T5 though.

muskyman

Explorer
Who said it would be equal money? Replacing same with same should be less time, less effort, and less money for the tranny to begin with. If you want to use this as an excuse to switch to a manual fine but I doubt the two will be equal in price.

You are 100% correct

rebuild kit is $180
torque convertor is $167

boom done

I doubt the swap to a stick will be under $2500

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Had a T5 in my CJ8. Meh. I think the WC versions might be better than the normal T5 from a shifter perspective. Just looking at a T5 I don't think it is up to moving your tank over the long term.

Other options:

Toyota AX15 5 speed (Toyota and Jeep donors)
NV3550 (Jeep, Chevy and Dodge donors)
Mercedes NSG370 6 speed (Jeep donor)

Novak has a bunch of informational web pages on their site:

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmission_gateway.htm

I wouldn't consider any of the other transmissions if you like shifter feel. Depends on what you are trying to build of course. I don't begrudge anyone that puts a NV4500 in a quarter ton Jeep but it isn't for me.

From what I've read here if it were me I'd go one of two routes: either rebuild and modify to be better the original driveline or swap in a LSx/4L6xE combo. My preference would lean heavily to staying stock but I'd research/entertain the LSx to see what is required.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
You are 100% correct

rebuild kit is $180
torque convertor is $167

boom done

Your prices maybe. I'm looking at $400 for just the rebuild kit, plus shipping, it'll be $500 at least. Then I'd be undertaking a rebuild of by far the most complex component on the vehicle, which I've never done before, and without even an overhaul manual.

You're also assuming the valve body is fine, which it probably is not, as that's where my acute failure occurred. The clutches aren't totally gone YET. I lost drive because something in the valve body puked. This trans cannot be fixed for less than the cost of that used one.

It already has an American based V8 and a ZF tranny, I fail to see what the big identity crisis is with swapping them out.

I don't care about identity. I care about drivability. If I wanted to row a big box of rocks, I'd buy an F250. I hate driving American trucks, that's why I didn't buy one. If I was going to accept it now, I'd be better off selling this, and buying an F250. It's not what I want. Case closed.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Just go buy a used transmission, slap it in and be done with it. They can be had for $500-$600 all day long. Pick one up this afternoon and you can be back on the road by Sunday. Please don't make us agonize over eight months of posts about what manual transmission you're going to attempt to install.

And Lefebvre, make sure you get the transmission oil cooler and lines from the junkyard while you are there....Yours are going to be full of the same crud that's in your tranny and impossible to flush out.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Just don't read this thread then.

The only agonizing going on it is other people talking about other trans. I already know what I want to do, and this is my thread.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior