UJOR Build Thread

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I created this thread for the smaller projects I have going on, hopefully I'll have some good content to fill it up! So here's what's happening right now---

Working on an axle going to Puerto Rico. I'll be sending everything needed for a Vanaconda clone. This axle is a stage 2 with crossover steering.

167149_1776024718952_1189359345_32054618_1625380_n.jpg

This 99 Ranger has been in the family since new, and it's been a great truck. It just needs a little TLC, so I'm going to give it a new lease on life UJOR style. Here's the plan: Full mechanical tune up including a clutch, upper & lower ball joints, steering, sway bar links & driveshaft u-joints. To fit the new BFG 265/75/16's, I'll be bolting up some new fiberglass fenders & ditching the bed. It has some damage from an accident several years ago, so I think a nice flat bed will work better :) Fresh paint of course, and a simple front bumper will finish it up. ---- I'll post pics

600_ranger1.JPG

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
Can't wait to see the Vanaconda clone. Ranger with a flatbed also sounds interesting.
So when are you going to post info about the Vanaconda bumper kit? :coffeedrink:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Can't wait to see the Vanaconda clone. Ranger with a flatbed also sounds interesting.
So when are you going to post info about the Vanaconda bumper kit? :coffeedrink:

asap...... gotta have a new tube bender for the Ranger bumper so..... you know what that means ;)

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Stage 1 of the Ranger build is complete. New clutch, brakes, ball joints, steering, plugs/wires, filters and u-joints have all been installed. The new tires fit without any rubbing too! Next step is paint prep & bed removal....

168958_1781218768800_1189359345_32065749_5995144_n.jpg

wheels5150

Observer
Chris - you have issues out there with DMV considering a flatbed a commercial vehicle? A guy out here on the left coast started getting tickets for not pulling into weigh stations.

BTW - like the videos you have posted on your web site - good stuff.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Haven't seen or heard of any issues..... and I've seen some pretty sloppy flat beds around here.

Thanks, I hope the videos help!

crazy

Adventurer
Chris - you have issues out there with DMV considering a flatbed a commercial vehicle? A guy out here on the left coast started getting tickets for not pulling into weigh stations.

BTW - like the videos you have posted on your web site - good stuff.

In the central valley, the CHP have been giving tickets to people with flatbeds and utility beds. As soon as you take the pickup bed off, it is no longer a pickup. At that point, you need a CA number. That stands for two things, Carrier Authority and Pain In The ***. If you are in California and want to remove you bed, think long and hard if you want to deal with the hassle. I doubt you will have as much trouble in metro areas because there is less commercial truck activity compared to places like the central valley. I think it is mainly the truck enforcement guys giving the tickets.

That is also why you see a sign at weigh stations that say "No Pickups". If you are towing a 50 foot 3 car trailer with a pickup, you go right past the weigh station. If you have a flatbed, you pull in.

The other thing I wonder about is the new trucks. The gvw is more than listed in the legal definition of a pickup. I wonder if they are still treated like before if the gvw is over the 11,500# limit.

Definition of pickup in California vehicle code.
V C Section 471 Pickup Truck
Pickup Truck

471. A "pickup truck" is a motor truck with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 11,500 pounds, an unladen weight of less than 8,001 pounds, and which is equipped with an open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length. "Pickup truck" does not include a motor vehicle otherwise meeting the above definition, that is equipped with a bed-mounted storage compartment unit commonly called a "utility body."

Added Ch. 13, Stats. 1991. Effective February 13, 1991.
Amended Ch. 928, Stats. 1991. Effective October 14, 1991.
Amended Sec. 8, Ch. 652, Stats. 1997. Effective January 1, 1998.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
The Ranger is at the body shop (pics to come soon).... And this UJOR stage 2 axle with crossover steering is ready for it's new home in Puerto Rico!

179076_1791848714542_1189359345_32086872_301635_n.jpg

Here's a pic of the new shop, finally getting where I want it --

164090_1791847474511_1189359345_32086868_2140481_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles