2017 Taco TRDOR Overland Build

jgpoirier

Adventurer
Life has led me to my first opportunity to purchase a brand new vehicle. Being that I have been so happy with my 2nd gen Tacoma, I decided to purchase a TRD Offroad Doublecab. Another factor that helped is the significant quantity of parts from my 2005 that work on the 2017. I ordered the truck Sept 24th and I FINALLY get to pick it up tomorrow the 29th ( I know some waited longer).

I had my dealer swap the ARB suspension and my TRD Pro wheels and tires over, so they've had the 05 for three days. I haven't even seen the truck in person yet! But, I did however get a teaser photo yesterday.

The plans for this one will include everything the 05 had but better. I learned a lot about what works for us and what could use some improvements for touring.

Current Photo
7s1nQ3B.jpg

Mods:
Engine
3.5 Litre All Stock For Now

Suspension/Wheels/Tires
OME Nitro Charger Shocks
OME Dakar Heavy Load Leaf Springs
OME 886 Springs
TRD Pro Wheels Grey
BFG K02 275/70/17

Bar Work
ARB Tacoma Summit Bar

Electrical
RED ARC Smart Solenoid
Blue Sea Systems 12cct Fuse Holder, 3-100A Breakers, 1-80A Breaker
3- Group 35 Optima Yellow Top Batteries
OTRATTW switches
Fireworks 240W light bar
260W 9" LED Spotties
OFF-Grid Engineering Dual Battery Tray

ACCESSORIES
Tepui Autana Sky Tent with Annex
Front Runner Bed Bars
PrInSu Design Studio Cab Rac
IronMan 4x4 50L Fridge Freezer
ARB 2M Awning
Dunn and Watson 50L Aluminum Fridge Slide
Dunn and Watson 40" Long 125 kg Drawer Slides
Custom home built topper
Custom home built bed unit (includes, 2 drawers, fridge area, 3rd battery compartment and all in bed electrical distribution, 60L water tank and 1GPM pump, houses Smittybilt air compressor)

Picture from High River Toyota after lift had been installed
T3LjI4w.jpg

My 2005
sfA5d0J.jpg

New and Old together
kNfJt6K.jpg

Last edited:

jgpoirier

Adventurer
Spent all day Saturday installing the roof rack. Was much happier with my install on the new truck than I was on the 05. I didn't bother using the weather stripping in the rain gutter on the 05, didn't bother me much as the truck was black and most everyone didn't notice they were missing. But I decided because of the white body I would spend the extra hours and make it right the first time.
RxDA0to.jpg

Last edited:

dman93

Adventurer
Do you have the winter cover on your Tepui? Or is that the standard fly on the Autana Sky ... it looks different than my Kukenam. With those bed bars and short bed, can you open the front pop-out on the Tepui and clear the cab with the rods? And, is there enough gap between the bed and the tent to be able to zip the travel cover back on? I currently have my tent above the cab, on a shell, and that last corner of the zipper is always the toughest. I've considered getting rid of my shell and going to a setup like yours, but wondered if it would affect the tent use to much as well as make it difficult to access the bed. I'd like to shed some weight and lower my CG.

jgpoirier

Adventurer
Beautiful truck !!!
Thanks man!

sweet any closer shots of the bed bars RTT setup?
I'll get some more for you tomorrow

Do you have the winter cover on your Tepui? Or is that the standard fly on the Autana Sky ... it looks different than my Kukenam. With those bed bars and short bed, can you open the front pop-out on the Tepui and clear the cab with the rods? And, is there enough gap between the bed and the tent to be able to zip the travel cover back on? I currently have my tent above the cab, on a shell, and that last corner of the zipper is always the toughest. I've considered getting rid of my shell and going to a setup like yours, but wondered if it would affect the tent use to much as well as make it difficult to access the bed. I'd like to shed some weight and lower my CG.
That is that standard, looking to purchase the winter cover though. No its not able to properly clear the rack, I usually don't install the tension rods on the cab side. It's not too bad, a quality packing job when closing the tent helps. I use a metal tent stake to grab the rope on the zipper to aid with the reach disadvantage. The one thing I don't like about the bed bars is the height. It is great for aerodynamics to be below the roof line, but my girlfriend has smacked her head twice off the bottom of the tent when in the annex.

dman93

Adventurer
I use a metal tent stake to grab the rope on the zipper to aid with the reach disadvantage. The one thing I don't like about the bed bars is the height. It is great for aerodynamics to be below the roof line, but my girlfriend has smacked her head twice off the bottom of the tent when in the annex.

The tent stake is a great idea, although I usually need to be on the same side as the zipper pull to tuck material in. I hadn't thought about the lower height of the overhang, I not only take it for granted I can walk under, but also hang stuff from the tent overhang and we sit under there for shade (have used the Tepui about 20'times but it's never rained!).

jgpoirier

Adventurer
The tent stake is a great idea, although I usually need to be on the same side as the zipper pull to tuck material in. I hadn't thought about the lower height of the overhang, I not only take it for granted I can walk under, but also hang stuff from the tent overhang and we sit under there for shade (have used the Tepui about 20'times but it's never rained!).

I find folding the weather flap up all the way around the cover helps a lot, especially around the corners when zipping it up. That would be handy, I'm always aware that its lower but being able to walk under it without worrying would be handy. We use ours with the annex on all the time. The RTT with the annex has allowed my GF to be more comfortable, which means I can go deeper into the bush. Our dog, clothes and muddy shoes stay below, plus she likes that bugs and animals cant really get at her haha.

jgpoirier

Adventurer
Welp, I have a couple updates. It's been freezing up here, we have about 2 weeks of -30C weather and unfortunately I have yet to insulate my garage. Thus, a ton of stuff that I need to install in the truck has not been done. I did however get my bumper installed even though I shivered the entire time doing it, but couldn't wait.

I finally have all of my switches that will fit in the new dash as the OTRATTW switches are too large. I have a 3d printed 3 gang switch plate for the left cubby. Off-grid engineering dual battery tray. 3 new 100A BSS breakers and knockoff Intensity 9" LED lights for the front bar. Also found a smoking deal on a Smittybilt 9.5K lbs synthetic rope winch. So I have to pull the bumper to get every mounted and wired. LOTS of wiring to do.

Here's some photos:

AekKwUO.jpg

y5meTvu.jpg

1ix1gz0.jpg

hhUYUMJ.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles