Sonora Rally (formerly known as the Cortez Rally)

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I posted on Race Dezert to ask if I HAD to have a roll cage in my 70 Burb.
I have been chasing for the Mexican 1000 for a few years, have a very well build rig, love navigation stuff but just don't want to install a roll cage in my daily driver/travel rig.

Otherwise if I can't compete I might see if they would let me help support the event. Just to be there.

burquedoka

Adventurer
You do need a full roll cage. Last year, not sure about this year, the event was sanctioned under the NORRA rules. Google it , and you find what is needed.

1leglance

Yeah that is why I didn't enter last year....and the timeframe of right against the start of the Mex 1K

My hope was that since it is a stand alone event there might be some sort of stock class that would let me NOT have a roll cage. Shame as more folks would enter stuff like this if they didn't have to build a dedicated racer.

Oh well maybe I will see if anyone needs chase/support or if the fellows putting it on could use some help. I am aces at logistics and as an ICU RN, Wilderness EMT who speaks spanish I can be handy to have around :)

1leglance

Yeah I gathered the the date seperation might mean something....not sure if it was just to try and NOT jam 2 events close together or if the folks involved are not working together anymore.

Either way...I know I am going to enjoy helping you guys Todd with the Bronco, but also always looking for other excuses to play in Mexico :)

1leglance

Just saw this posted on Race Dezert...

4 -WHEEL SAFARI CLASS - For those enthusiasts who want to participate without a fully prepped race vehicle, join the SAFARI CLASS (no roll cage required), and run on selected sections of the course without being timed or scored. Learn how to navigate during the rally school and with road book and compass in hand, get a strong taste of the rally experience and great off-road adventure without the expense of a fully race built car or truck!

Means those overlanders who like a bit more action and love things like the Dakar Rally can get a taste without turning our rigs into racers.

I will keep posting updates as I want to see if my son and I can squeeze this in before the Mexican 1000

McBride

Adventurer
That's awesome news 1legLance! If you make it I'll buy you a beer in Puerto Penasco after the awards.

Willliam

Last edited:

1leglance

I really want to register in Safari but I am also chasing shortly after this for the Mexican 1000.
So that gives me 2 concerns...
The Cost...steep but there are not many real Dakar style event you can do in North America with a non-race rig.
The Risk...for me to break something right before I am committed to help a team for a week in Baja would suck.

So instead I have reached out to see if I can volunteer for the event....be there, have fun, spend less and have less risk.
However if the get short on entrants I might just sign up to help the event happen.

Either way it is so cool to see this kind of Dakar style event in North America.

oregoncoast

For those of you on the fence about entering the Sonora Safari Class - jump off and register! After we raced last year in our Subaru I had suggested the idea of an "Adventure class" just to help build the rally and the sport a bit by getting those that have capable vehicles, but that are not actual race cars. They were already thinking along those lines and viola, the Safari class was born! The organizers run a first rate event and you will not regret the experience. You get the feel of Dakar, the fun of hanging at the bivouac with generous locals, great racers and crew, eat some tasty food, learn some navigation skills and experience terrain that you would probably never have the opportunity (or permission) to ever see on your own - all with safety personnel and sweep crews there as support. We are very excited for the new Sonora after the fun we had in the Cortez and we hope to see a bunch of Expedition Portal people there this time. Darren and Scott are committed to providing competitors with a world-class experience and I expect that to translate to the Safari class entrants as well.

If you have any questions about vehicle prep including navigation options, what equipment to bring, or what to expect, please don't hesitate to ask us. Remember, because you are not running at race speeds, the likelihood of breaking things on your rigs is greatly reduced. Also, the terrain you will be traveling on is not your typical whooped-out, baby-head-rocks-for-miles Baja race, so you are not going to be beating the hell out of your vehicle as much as you might think. And, you will be simply amazed at the places you will be going and how much fun navigation can be.

For those that haven't seen it, here is a piece I wrote about the Cortez that might help illustrate the type of event you'd be signing up for: http://expeditionportal.com/the-2015-cortez-rally/

I am also in the midst of writing a piece about the Sonora Rally Safari Class which should be done very soon..once I finish the one about our adventure at the Baja Rally earlier this month - so be on the lookout for that.

We hope to see more of you there for some Air-down, pedal-to-the-floor, follow-the-CAP-heading fun over some amazing Mexican dunes at the Sonora Rally!!

- OC

Last edited:

GeländeVentures

Greetings to all on this board. I'd like to make a formal introduction to you all, my name is James and my team/business partner is William. We are two Mercedes-Benz diehard fans crossing over from our love of off-road vehicle dependent overland travel and into the realm of off-road rally racing, a dream of both of ours. We have created a company, GeländeVentures and teamed up with Kraut Racing of Santa Fe, NM. Together, and with the help of many others, we are building a 1988 SWB G-wagen into a Jackie Ickx '83 Paris-Dakar inspired rally G. We are all very excited for the adventure ahead of us, both in the build and the race. We look foreword to sharing our build and gaining feedback and advise from anyone who is interested in sharing.
For now, here are some photos of our build......

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 8

Forum statistics

Threads