"One Piece At A Time" Build

tgreening

Expedition Leader
OH, and I'm sooo ripping off that maps in frame idea. Don't hate. I'm not creatively challenged, I have no creative genes at all, so I have to thieve my way through. :)

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
Wow! That looks killer! I might have to try to get my dad to sell me his van after seeing that transform from old man van to something awesome.

packmule

Observer
What do you miss other than engine options if you start with a 150 and do a front and rear ujoint conversion?

Corneilius

Adventurer
Differences I know of: master cylinder is slightly smaller (I didn't upgrade mine though and have NO trouble stopping). The rear frame section is slightly shorter, 6" tall instead of 7" IIRC. The bodies sit lower on the frames because of this. The rear leaves are 2.5" instead of 3, the rear axle will likely need to be replaced.

All bets are off on the 08+ E150s. They have 3" wide springs and dana60 rear axles, but also the shorter frame height. If anyone figures it out, let me know.

Thanks for all the kind words, van is driving great and I couldn't be happier. We have several trips planned. Ill keep this thread updated with upgrades and progress.

Corneilius

Adventurer
Picked up a Engel 35, working on a tray for 2 batteries on the under carriage with an isolated. Solar is on the list but a little ways out.

Corneilius

Adventurer
No big updates on the van except that we've been using the hell out of it! Last 4 weekends were 3-4 day trips in the region. LOVE the way it drives and camps.

Great looking van! Question regarding the tranny - since you started with a E150, and likely have the 4w70 or 4w75, did you swap out the tranny for a 4w100?

I've got an 04 E150 that I've been dreaming of converting, but not sure how if it would be worth it vs getting a E350 to convert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corneilius

Adventurer
Ive got a 4R100:wings: Mine also had the HD half ton rear axle which I swapped for a dana 60. I would recommend others start with an E250/350. I have special circumstances that allow me to easily swap/build/ upgrade parts

Darkrider

Adventurer
Great build! Plenty of ideas in here to use for pretty much any expo van. Hopefully this summer i will finally get a chance to start on my own van..have had it for a few years but had it stored at a friends place that is a few hours away. Finally bringing it home.

Corneilius

Adventurer
Thanks all, the kind words (and actually using the van) make all the late nights and weekends in the shop worth it. Very happy with the function of the van. Of course there is still a HUGE laundry list of projects to finish, but I'm a little burnt out on tinkering for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior