Charliedontsurf FJ Cruiser Build...

Hey everyone, I'm relatively new around here but I've been doing a bunch of reading these past couple months as I make plans for outfitting my 2014 FJ Cruiser for overlanding. I'm on the cusp of dropping the money and buying much of what I plan to install in the next few weeks and I figured it would be a good time to post up some of the mods and parts I plan on purchasing and getting some feedback from the members here and tweak any final plans.

A little about me and my wishes for this vehicle... It will primarily be used by my wife and I and our 2 small dogs for a couple longer trips per year and many shorter trips of less than a week in duration. I'm a bit taller (6'3” 320lbs) which is one big reason for wanting the Grand Raid listed below. And this vehicle will also be used as an occasional daily driver. Likely 2-3 times /week. I know that the Road Armor Bumper is a little on the heavy side but I figured it would provide great protection while driving around town as well as help the off-road capabilities of the FJ.

Current set-up:
2014 FJ Cruiser 4WD
-Crawl Control
-Factory Locking Rear Differential
-285/70/17
-Snorkel intake mod
-Rigid Light Bar for OEM rack w/ 20” E-Series bar and 2 x 10” E-Series Bars

What I plan on purchasing very soon:
Icon Stage 3 Lift w /Tubular Steel Parts (not the Billet Aluminum) plus the following $4000:
-Tubular Steel Rear Upper Link Kit
-Icon 3” “Overland” Rear Coils (extra stiff)
-Lower Control Arm Skid Plates and Lower Shock Shin Guards

Road Armor Front Bumper with the Titan Guard $2400

Expedition 1 Rear Bumper wit swing out tire arm and other mounts $2000

Bud Built 5 Piece “Lite” Under Armor panel kit $1000

?? Some kind of Sliders ?? $500-$1000?

James Baroud Grand Raid XXL $4200

Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform 84” x 56” $1200

Warn Winch and Synthetic Rope plus shackles etc $1500

Alu-Awn Shadow Awning $1500

Total planned $20,000 (Kind it makes your eyes pop when you see it spelled out like that haha).

This list of course does not yet touch the interior mods I would like to do such as a drawer system, electrical work, and also a refrigerator. Not to mention recovery gear and tools.

So my question is... Is there anything on that list that you think is not necessary for an overlanding vehicle? Is there anything you would add or take off that list? Saving money would be nice at this point considering what the total price is starting to look like. Thanks!

Also, for more pictures you can follow my build on Instagram @swampdonkeyfjc

Last edited:

JLee

Adventurer
To be perfectly frank, I would spend some time with it stock (or mostly stock) and see how much is actually necessary. I've done some trips in a built 80 on 35's and a stock-suspension GX470 and had a blast with both. :)

I've been going less complicated and lighter weight with each vehicle change, as I realize the conflict between what I actually do vs what I thought I wanted. Lightness is your friend - I would recommend aluminum skids and avoid heavy steel bumpers unless you need them.

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
WOW! What a LIST!

The fjc will do alot in stock form. I know becuase i have one and wheeled the crap out of mine without any lift and its crazy what it will do stock. Dragging over the rocks!

White knuckle off road sliders are good those are the ones to buy.

The general consensus in the FJC world is that 33's, Skids, and 2-3 inch lift is all you need to go places most wont feel confortable doing. They will do 90% of the trails out there if your driver is willing and capable. Go bigger then 35's and you open up a can of worms. Regear, stronger axels, low range transfer cases, all that stuff only to snap axles and break stuff. I wont ever try to go bigger even though i get the appeal but its truly unessicary. I dont know what sized tires your planning on. I just thought id mention it, with 33's you also dont need to hack away at your frame.

IMO the lower control arm skids are not really nessicary. The factory ones are pretty built, the skids are more to create a smooth serface to slid on and push over rocks, rather then protection. If money was no object, or i have your budget, I would look at total chaos long travel kits for the front. Icon is good but the TC front end is AMAZING according to the internet.

Im totaly going to upgrade all of my factory skids this winter, however, it might not be a need for you to do first off. The types of trails were you truly need the full on 1/4 inch plate for the underside are something i would work towords. I dont know your experience but youll be better off learning to drive first. Or at least learning to feel for the rocks and the jesus take the wheel moments that come with driving in a football helmet. (I can say this because the 4R and Taco guys will ultimatly say the FJC is the worst toyota ever made and you cant see jack out of it)

Last great road trip or something like that has a ton on info on Modding the FJC

You have a pretty complete list. But make sure you get the front rear link mount skids. (The one that covers the rear link mount to the frame). Thats the first place youll hit rocks if you do. The RCI rear diff skid should be your list (or any rear diff skid ).

Dont forget the jerry cans too. The FJC has a tiny gas tank.

I think a true overlander would say just buy the roof rack and figure out a way to mount the winch at least weight as possible. The rig your building sounds like your ready for the rubicon and its going to weigh like 5 tons. And theres nothing wrong with that. I would rather be overbuilt then under. But Gas mileage in this pig is going to suffer...alot. With my RTT and fully loaded i would bet im at less then 15 MPG on a good day, highway with a tailwind.

I hope that helps. I have a ton of picutres of my trails on my blog check it out.

To be perfectly frank, I would spend some time with it stock (or mostly stock) and see how much is actually necessary. I've done some trips in a built 80 on 35's and a stock-suspension GX470 and had a blast with both. :)

I've been going less complicated and lighter weight with each vehicle change, as I realize the conflict between what I actually do vs what I thought I wanted. Lightness is your friend - I would recommend aluminum skids and avoid heavy steel bumpers unless you need them.

I'm not “new” to 4x4 off roading or overlanding per se... Although none of my experiences off road have been spent in a vehicle that is purpose-built for off roading. But I do possess a basic skill set for off road travel. And as far as overlanding I've spent months of my life living out of a van before (used to be a musician what seems like a lifetime ago) with nothing more than a backpack worth of personal items. I've owned the FJ for a little over 2 years now and I have taken it off road on a couple of modest trails and in sand dunes here on the beaches of Florida. And you are correct, it is very capable stock. Part of the reason I want to get a new suspension and I do not mind spending on it is that I feel like good suspension and good tires are the foundation of a good off-road vehicle. I currently have a spacer lift installed and I want that gone ASAP.

We have purchased Overland Experience tickets for next May's OEWest. I was hoping to at least have some basic mods done to the truck by then (suspension and bumpers) plus a rack and RTT. We really want this vehicle to be more of an overlanding vehicle as opposed to a hardcore rock-climbing vehicle. So things like weight def make a difference. I am certainly open to other bumpers, I've just always liked the look of the Road Armor and I like that it provides some heavy duty protection for the FJ since it will be driven around town in traffic from time to time.

WOW! What a LIST!

The fjc will do alot in stock form. I know becuase i have one and wheeled the crap out of mine without any lift and its crazy what it will do stock. Dragging over the rocks!

White knuckle off road sliders are good those are the ones to buy.

The general consensus in the FJC world is that 33's, Skids, and 2-3 inch lift is all you need to go places most wont feel confortable doing. They will do 90% of the trails out there if your driver is willing and capable. Go bigger then 35's and you open up a can of worms. Regear, stronger axels, low range transfer cases, all that stuff only to snap axles and break stuff. I wont ever try to go bigger even though i get the appeal but its truly unessicary. I dont know what sized tires your planning on. I just thought id mention it, with 33's you also dont need to hack away at your frame.

IMO the lower control arm skids are not really nessicary. The factory ones are pretty built, the skids are more to create a smooth serface to slid on and push over rocks, rather then protection. If money was no object, or i have your budget, I would look at total chaos long travel kits for the front. Icon is good but the TC front end is AMAZING according to the internet.

Im totaly going to upgrade all of my factory skids this winter, however, it might not be a need for you to do first off. The types of trails were you truly need the full on 1/4 inch plate for the underside are something i would work towords. I dont know your experience but youll be better off learning to drive first. Or at least learning to feel for the rocks and the jesus take the wheel moments that come with driving in a football helmet. (I can say this because the 4R and Taco guys will ultimatly say the FJC is the worst toyota ever made and you cant see jack out of it)

Last great road trip or something like that has a ton on info on Modding the FJC

You have a pretty complete list. But make sure you get the front rear link mount skids. (The one that covers the rear link mount to the frame). Thats the first place youll hit rocks if you do. The RCI rear diff skid should be your list (or any rear diff skid ).

Dont forget the jerry cans too. The FJC has a tiny gas tank.

I think a true overlander would say just buy the roof rack and figure out a way to mount the winch at least weight as possible. The rig your building sounds like your ready for the rubicon and its going to weigh like 5 tons. And theres nothing wrong with that. I would rather be overbuilt then under. But Gas mileage in this pig is going to suffer...alot. With my RTT and fully loaded i would bet im at less then 15 MPG on a good day, highway with a tailwind.

I hope that helps. I have a ton of picutres of my trails on my blog check it out.

At one point I was strongly considering going with 35” tires and a 6” lift with re-gear but I've pretty much moved away from that idea completely at this point. I have way more interest in overlanding than I do in full blown off-roading. To me, the vehicle is the means to get me to the places I want to hike/camp that have the views and are off the beaten path.

I haven't looked into Total Chaos too much but budget is a concern considering I'm already spending quite a bit and there are still all the camping things and tools to buy. I've read pretty good things about Icon for the most part and I know enoug to know that I don't need the fancy billet aluminum stuff. Tubular Steel is plenty tough enough to get the job done and then some.

I know that weight is a big issue with overlanding because gas mileage is (obviously) very important. And you're right, my little mule is going to be a fat mule that goes slow and sucks down gas like it were going out of style. It already doesn't get as good of gas mileage as I wished it would and I'm sure it will only get worse from here. I have considered other bumpers though. I also like the ARB bumper but I know it is heavy as well.

I'll def stop by and check out your blog!

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
At one point I was strongly considering going with 35” tires and a 6” lift with re-gear but I've pretty much moved away from that idea completely at this point. I have way more interest in overlanding than I do in full blown off-roading. To me, the vehicle is the means to get me to the places I want to hike/camp that have the views and are off the beaten path.

I haven't looked into Total Chaos too much but budget is a concern considering I'm already spending quite a bit and there are still all the camping things and tools to buy. I've read pretty good things about Icon for the most part and I know enoug to know that I don't need the fancy billet aluminum stuff. Tubular Steel is plenty tough enough to get the job done and then some.

I know that weight is a big issue with overlanding because gas mileage is (obviously) very important. And you're right, my little mule is going to be a fat mule that goes slow and sucks down gas like it were going out of style. It already doesn't get as good of gas mileage as I wished it would and I'm sure it will only get worse from here. I have considered other bumpers though. I also like the ARB bumper but I know it is heavy as well.

I'll def stop by and check out your blog!

The ARB is the one im going to get. Its doesnt mess with the airbags, although the internet is convinced that any bumper is fine you just gotta hit hard enough. Around here im concerned with critters so the extra protection up front is pretty important. Have you seen the huge hole above the factory skid and OEM bumper? Theres an opening right to the radiator!

Last edited:

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
To be perfectly frank, I would spend some time with it stock (or mostly stock) and see how much is actually necessary... ...I've been going less complicated and lighter weight with each vehicle change, as I realize the conflict between what I actually do vs what I thought I wanted. Lightness is your friend - I would recommend aluminum skids and avoid heavy steel bumpers unless you need them.

^^THIS^^ I read the list of planned modifications and, while it reads like a dream sheet of awesome equipment, I can't help but feel it would be more suited to an already heavier vehicle like a Tundra or 200-Series Land Cruiser.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, and I fully support spending your hard earned $$$ exactly how you want to, but five years of daily-driving a stock FJC made me realize all I needed was a 2.5" Bilstein 6112/Eibach-5160/Toytec lift when the time came to make that choice.

I would still like an ARB front bumper for night time critter protection and some sliders, but I have become seriously averse to adding weight. Of course the OP may not need to daily drive their FJC or be worried about getting 80-Series MPGs (lol).

I say start small, don't get in a hurry to build it all at once, and don't lock yourself into a setup that does one or two things really well but ends up being a bear to live with as a 'normal' vehicle.

:beer:

^^THIS^^ I read the list of planned modifications and, while it reads like a dream sheet of awesome equipment, I can't help but feel it would be more suited to an already heavier vehicle like a Tundra or 200-Series Land Cruiser.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, and I fully support spending your hard earned $$$ exactly how you want to, but five years of daily-driving a stock FJC made me realize all I needed was a 2.5" Bilstein 6112/Eibach-5160/Toytec lift when the time came to make that choice.

I would still like an ARB front bumper for night time critter protection and some sliders, but I have become seriously averse to adding weight. Of course the OP may not need to daily drive their FJC or be worried about getting 80-Series MPGs (lol).

I say start small, don't get in a hurry to build it all at once, and don't lock yourself into a setup that does one or two things really well but ends up being a bear to live with as a 'normal' vehicle.

:beer:

I hear what your saying. Where would you recommend I start small at? I think the things I'll be crossing off the list for now are the Steel plate under armor, rear bumper, sliders, and Shadow awn. The rest I think I'd still very much like to move forward on. Tent, new roof rack, bumper, winch, and new suspension will take me far I think.

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
I hear what your saying. Where would you recommend I start small at? I think the things I’ll be crossing off the list for now are the Steel plate under armor, rear bumper, sliders, and Shadow awn. The rest I think I’d still very much like to move forward on. Tent, new roof rack, bumper, winch, and new suspension will take me far I think.

Sliders are important. They are the first thing youll hit if you get into rocks and protect from body damage. The ones you have on now look like the kind that hang up and hurt clearence for boulders

Neosapian

Innate Outdoor Co
To be perfectly frank, I would spend some time with it stock (or mostly stock) and see how much is actually necessary. ...

This advice resonates with me personally. I cannot agree more. Periodically I have to remind myself that Im building my rig for practical use, not for Instagram. I find that weighing purchase decisions against that realization saves me money each and every time.

Last edited:

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
This advice resonates with me personally. I cannot agree more. Periodically I have to remind myself that Im building my rig for practical use, not for Instagram. I find that weighing purchase decisions against that realization saves me money each and every time.

If I had the same budget as Charliedontsurf, I'd start by looking at a super charger and adding an extra 25 gallons of fuel capacity. Or look at some other truck platforms entirely. Whichever build path you go down - CharlieDontSurf - sounds like you've got yourself an awesome project ahead of you!

Im happy you removed that last bit of advice. To super chargers on 2010+ Are basicly non existant. The FJC has plenty of power for the sand. Only practical reason to really have a supercharger.

"Some other platform” why does this not suprise me.

Not particularly interested in supercharging it. In my experience this thing has plenty of performance to handle almost anything with the stock motor. And I would like to keep the engine as stock as I can for reliability purposes!

As far as other vehicles we are looking at a used 200 series as well. That’s the build we are both looking forward to! My wife and I aren’t made of money but we don’t have kids and we have some disposable income which helps with having fun hobbies...

I have tossed around the idea of an 80 series but anything in good condition is pretty hard to find/sells pretty quick. I also love the Tundra, but I’m not going down that road.

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
Not particularly interested in supercharging it. In my experience this thing has plenty of performance to handle almost anything with the stock motor. And I would like to keep the engine as stock as I can for reliability purposes!

As far as other vehicles we are looking at a used 200 series as well. That’s the build we are both looking forward to! My wife and I aren’t made of money but we don’t have kids and we have some disposable income which helps with having fun hobbies...

I have tossed around the idea of an 80 series but anything in good condition is pretty hard to find/sells pretty quick. I also love the Tundra, but I’m not going down that road.

Neosapian is going to respond with you should buy a limited V8 4runner and pay a ton for it because "toyota tax"

The FJC is a perfect niche vehicle. PERFECT! PERFECT! (For its niche) people are going to try and talk to you out of it.

But hold firm. Theres no reason to swtich. Heres why, at least for me why i LOVE LOVE LOVE the FJC and wont ever sell, at least until im 200 series rich, or they make that 80 series in a 3 pedal.

More head room! Like you, im a big guy. 4R's/Tacos all felt to small. The Tundras are behemonths, not going to fit on a FS road very nicely and what happens when you have to turn around.

Short wheel base! That comes in handy. Turning around a DC taco is hard and that long wheelbase makes going around boulders hard(er) when i can just go around like nothing.

Sporty! The 6mt in mine and the 4.0 makes this thing shread snow and sand! So much fun to drive. The 200's and the 80s are going to feel like overweight pigs in compairison to the FJC.

You got a-trac and a locker! Thats pretty much standard. Not standard on all the others, unless you buy the more expensive ones.

They put the spare on the back already for you! You dont have to buy a tire carrier or mount on the roof to start! What now 4R??

What they going to say to you:

How do you see out of that thing? What about blind spots?

To which you reply: how do you see around your spare tire carrier/rear loaded up with the kitchen sink? The FJC makes you learn to drive without that and your a better driver for it. You wont back into a tree because you already know how to drive without seeing. And everyone asks for spotters on rocks anyways so thats a mute point on that front also.

What about the resale? Your destroying something beautiful!

Your right! Resale is even more stupid then the tacos! These things sell for more then MSRP when they were new and they are getting hard to find. But...this is a good thing. Buy the full coverage insurance, then when you roll it down the mountain...20k worth of damage done and guess what, they will fix it. Becuase the bluebook says its worth too much, and the general rule with insurance is that if the cost to fix is less then 75% of the FMV, they fix it. So save your receipts.

Those things are TINY! Where you gonna put all your crap?

Easy: roof rack. You already decided on the RTT- the limited cargo space is only their perception. That frees up the rear seats and rear cargo area. The FJC is perfect sized for 2 people with a RTT. Ill admit anymore people is pushing it but in your case..you and your wife..theres no need for more. Why have the space for more crap you dont need? You cant sleep in a FJC but thats what the RTT is for.

Toyota stoped making them becuase they were crap:
No they were a limited run vehicle. 7 year run in the US. Look it up. They JK did not kill the FJC. It was Toyota. Your just jelious that toyota made something to out of the box and weird and didnt make another highlander / camary / corrola type car to sell to the masses. Some day collectable like an FJ40.

THREE WINDSHEILD WIPERS! Drops mic

To much coffee this am.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles