Bigwapiti's 2011 Tundra build...'BIG NAMBE'

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
All,

Well it's been over 2 weeks since I changed vehicle platforms. As you know I had a 3generation 4runner that was an exceptional vehicle. This rig owned me nothing because it was an excellent vehicle that served my family for 10 years and 170,000 miles. I'll always have fond memories of this vehicle not only for the years and miles, but also for the introduction to overlanding...

Anyway, here is one last pic of the rig on the way to the dealership...Farewell my old friend :eek:

IMG_0877.jpg

Why the platform change? It boiled down to 2 things: room and power. In early May, my son and I participated in a Central Overland rally. It became obvious that the V6 was underpowered in hilly terrain. Our route took us through the Buffalo River in Northern Arkansas, and some of the passes were steep. Nothing compared to passes out west, but it was enough to make me aware and concerned that the rig was struggling...We had 2 in the rig towing a loaded Outlander Sherpa II (10 gallons of fuel / 15 gallons of water / food in the engel 45 for 2 days...).

2011-05-06_18-17-09_779.jpg

2011-05-08_06-32-39_394.jpg

I did consider a Land Cruiser 100 and 200 series, however, I really missed the utility of a pick-up. My previous rig before the 4runner was a pre-Tacoma p/u, and after consulting with my wife (CFO) I called my auto broker and was able to get a GREAT deal on a Toyota Tundra...

Here it is. 2011 Tundra CrewMax / 4x4 / 5.7L ~ 381 hp / 401 ft/lbs of torque. My broker lined up a great price for my rig and a great price on the Tundy. I found a tundra grade with a sunroof / upgraded stereo with BT technology / backup camera and some other stuff...Most Tundys with this setup retailed for 10K-12K more...:wings:

Anyway, on to the pics...

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

I sold my Wet Okole seat covers and ProComp wheels seperately, and I have some money...Let the mods begin...:coffee:

Regards,

BWJ

Last edited:

jim65wagon

Congratulations on the new Toy. That 5.7 should pull that trailer over any hill at any speed you desire!

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Loving the 5.7L...

Gotta tell you that the Tundra is getting better gas mileage than the 4runner did. If I can get the same 'city' mileage as I did with the 4runner (DD) following mods, I'll be one happy overlander. The cab is cavernous, and the power is much appreciated and respected...

Man, I feel like I'm 16 yrs old again and I know how Marty McFly felt when the garage door opened...

Regards,

BWJ

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
No not really...

I got a brand new set of 17" TRD alloys in the garage. I'm gonna lace them up with some new tires soon...

Are you interested in them?

Regards,

BWJ

Danimal

Adventurer
That's exciting. I too just traded my old friend (1998 4Runner) for a 2011 truck, though I opted for a Tacoma.

My memory says you live somewhere around Kansas City? My parents used to live in Overland Park and my brother is a high school teacher in Leawood.

I loved your 4Runner and I look forward to seeing you build the Tundra!

Dan

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Wheel / Tire choice...

All,

I have narrowed the tire sizes for big Nambe down to 2 possibilities. I don't want to go too big because it is my DD. Currently, the size wheel that came from the factory was 255/70r18. I really got a great deal on a set of new 17" TRD wheels, and I am going to get these laced with bigger tires ~ preferably a 33" tire. The TRD wheels come standard on the 'Rock Warrior' package with BFG AT (285/70r17 ~ 32.71" diameter / 7.85" width). Here is a pic of 'leveled' RWs with the factory wheels / tires and mild lift. **Alot of Tundra owners are going with a spacers up front and 1 inch blocks in the back. I will be going with heavy duty adjustable coilovers up front and blocks in the rear eventually.

28570r17.jpg

leveledrw28570r17.jpg

I would like to fill the wheel well a little more with either 295/70r17 or 285/75r17...I was not able to find pics of a RW with 295s on 17" wheels, however, I did find a Tundra running 295/55r20 (32.78" diameter / 6.39" width) of which, the 295/70r17 (33.26" diameter / 8.12" width) would be 1.48% bigger. I do prefer to have a little more sidewall than the 20" rim would afford me...

09WinchandReardonesm.jpg

DSCN0517.jpg

Here is a pic of 285/75 (33.83" diameter / 8.42" width) which is 3.83% bigger than the stock 285/70 size.

6530_101166_full.jpg

I had a set of Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2 in 265/75r16 on my 4runner. They were the p-rated and I thought that they were wearing faster than I had wanted. I didn't know if these were going to make it to 50,000 miles which was the warranty on them. So, I will try Nitto Terra Grapplers this time in an LT tire instead.

IMG_2443.jpg

Anyway, if you have some additional insight into the tire / wheel madness, chime on in!

Regards,

BWJ

Last edited:

quicksilvr

Driving Ms. Daisy
I would go with the 285/75 Terra Grapplers if it was me. I see LOTS of full size trucks around town with the TG's, and that usually means guys like them quite a bit. I myself have never run them.

Have you considered the Geolander AT/S? I love that tire. Not sure on sizing availability though.

BTW, your old rig sold at Rolling Hills. I have no idea how much, or to who. But it's gone. I hope someone who knows a lick ended up with it....it sure was nice. I'm glad I got to see it in person, now I know I'll be getting Ameriguard coating on my sliders and rockers. That stuff is awesome.

hovenator

Explorer
I run the Nitto Terra Graps in 295/70/17.......Great tire and around 10.5 wide by 33.3 tall. Though I have a Titan, they would look right at home on your Tundra.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
BTW, your old rig sold at Rolling Hills. I have no idea how much, or to who. But it's gone

:(

....I know I'll be getting Ameriguard coating on my sliders and rockers. That stuff is awesome.

Give Dan a call at Ameraguard of Lee's Summit. He has the best price in the KC metro area, and his skills for taping / spraying is unmatched...Tell him 'Dr. Kim' sent you

Thanks for the update...

Regards,

BWJ

Retarius

Observer
You can fit a 35 with a leveling kit so 33s will be no problem. I run Terra Grapplers on my Tundra. They have been good and ride much better than my old Xtreme All Terrains.

As for shocks, Id recommend Icon Coilovers but the Kings Bjwot just got look pretty slick. A more affordable option are the adjustable Bilstien 5100s that are designed to give you 1-3in of lift in the front. You will be able to run 33s with just those and not using a block in the rear. I had a buddy run them on a 1st gen Tundra and he liked them.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
The cab is simply cavernous isn't it :)

One advantage to the 285/70R17 size is you can find any tread you want.
I like the 34"-ish height of the 285/75R17 but there only appears to be three tires in this size, all made by Toyo/Nitto. Maybe for my next set?

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
i gotta say, go the biggest tire you can reliably fit. these trucks components are so large and heavy duty that you're not going to see any increased wear all the way through a 37" tire. if you short yourself the tire you thought about by thinking yourself down, you'll always want the bigger one.

plus, from an aesthetics point, 35's really help make the truck look its own with how large the cab is. i have a Super Crew F150 that im (very) slowly moving towards expo with and 35's helped tremendously with the ground clearance as well as getting it to look right. i know i know, form over function - but if you can have both you've got nothing to lose :)

i know mines completely out of its element in this forum, but i like to troll the toyota forum for late model tacoma and tundra builds for inspiration considering the domestic forum is nothing but 20 year old trucks outfitted with plywood accessories to go hunting with. not my taste :D
DSC_0067.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne