Gen 3 - Companion Flange Fell Out (A must read for Gen 3 owners)

nckwltn

Explorer
The wife texts me while I'm at work "the car is leaking oil", I ask her to send me a picture (see video/picture below).

As it turns out, the rear companion flange on the driver's side had popped out. This seems to be a pretty common occurrence for the Gen 3. The circlip seems to wear out over time, allowing the flange to pop out. This happens more so when the suspension is put to extremes. I don't see anyone in the US talking about it, but google "pajero circlip" and you'll find a host of threads on it.

It appears to have been fixed at some point in the '05 model year. The fixed part is basically the old part with a slightly larger groove machined into it along with a larger circlip. The diameter goes from 200mm to 203mm.

It seems that if it happens in the field, you can tap the shaft back in place carry on, checking it every now and then to at least get you home or to a shop.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
This is a known possible issue. You can search on google and find a replacement circlip kit. I never experienced it on my 2001 with 170k miles, but a lifted vehicle may provoke the failure of the circlip. Just keep an eye on it or replace it with the kit if you feel nervous.

nckwltn

Explorer
How many miles are on your rig? Is it lifted?

Around 147k, no lift. Although we do have a steep driveway, and the way you enter it from the street can put some flex on the suspension.

This is a known possible issue. You can search on google and find a replacement circlip kit. I never experienced it on my 2001 with 170k miles, but a lifted vehicle may provoke the failure of the circlip. Just keep an eye on it or replace it with the kit if you feel nervous.

I'll probably pop the flange this weekend and take a look at the clip. I've seen people talk about the kit you're referring to, but it doesn't seem as widely available in the US. The local mistu dealer has to special order a new flange (with clip), for $130. Going to spend some time on the internet this afternoon to see if I can find it cheaper and more local.

nckwltn

Explorer
If that is the updated flange for $130 I would go that route.

the guy at the mistu parts place didn't seem very familiar with the issue, makes me concerned I would be getting the same part (albeit in new condition) to only have the same problem at some point in the future.

Porvalsh

Observer
the guy at the mistu parts place didn't seem very familiar with the issue, makes me concerned I would be getting the same part (albeit in new condition) to only have the same problem at some point in the future.

I'm sorry to revive an old post but what did you do about this?

My rear diff is/has leaked oil out of the flange area of the rear diff on the driver side. I didn't notice it until I started hearing a sound when decelerating at 40mph. The shop says they need to replace the entire diff at $3500. I'm wondering if this is the circlip issue and I could pop it back in, drain/fill the diff and see if that fixes the issue. I'm looking for this circlip kit and can't find it (I'm in US). If this is a known issue I'm wondering why its so hard to find? Does anybody have a link to the kit we're talking about here?

Thanks...

Travis

nckwltn

Explorer
If your rear diff is trashed because the oil leaked out and it ran dry, a circlip won't fix that.

I found the leak after my wife pulled up our very steep driveway and the axle popped out... So virtually no miles driven.

I ended up expanding the clip a little with pliers and putting it back together. That was 3 years and 45k miles ago. Lots of trips up and down rhe steep driveway with no problems.

If your rear diff is trashed, I'll bet you can pick compitable gears from a junk yard and have them installed for a few hundred bucks at most.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Porvalsh

Observer
Thanks for the reply.

I'll see what I can do.

I never noticed the fluid, just getting a whine earlier this week, seemed to be triggered by the cold weather front. Perhaps the parts contracted ever so slightly and then my wife hit a curb or something...

nckwltn

Explorer
Perhaps the parts contracted ever so slightly and then my wife hit a curb or something...

Might have just taken the right kind of flex to pop it out. Even something as simple as going into the driveway of a business with a somewhat deep gutter (at the right angle) can flex the suspension significantly (for a Montero).

I'd top it off with fluid and then see what happens.... but having a whine could be an indication that there is a larger problem :-(

TOMMY B

Happy New Year.. the party with Montero just never stops lately. My 03 Gen 3 diff & axial just started leaking 🤐. Does any have the drivers side seal kit & circlip replacement part numbers handy ? I just tapped it back in but I need fix as soon as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

nnamssorxela

Adventurer
Happy New Year.. the party with Montero just never stops lately. My 03 Gen 3 diff & axial just started leaking ��. Does any have the drivers side seal kit & circlip replacement part numbers handy ? I just tapped it back in but I need fix as soon as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

I normally use this site to track down part numbers: LINK

TOMMY B

Thank you for the link, I ended up call the dealer directly. The parts are being shipped now thankfully..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94