HOLY CRAPOLY! Badlands 12000lb Winch on Sale for $290 !!!

Thanks for posting the Coupon! Went yesterday and bought one. Been looking at them and reading reviews and watching youtube videos for a while. Now just need to get the other bits and pieces to mount it on the Montero. :wings:
MKR

goatherder

no trepidation
@rayra - ******? Are you a complete illiterate? Or are you just another troll on what is usually a pretty good website? My original post stated my advice was, "My advice: Go for a decent quality winch and learn how to rig properly." I didn't demand obedience to Warn. The point being that proper winching and proper rigging can make a decent quality winch that has a smaller capacity every bit as good as a heavier capacity winch that is poorly made and won't last long. Sounds like horrible advice ... and I'm not your brother. Man, some people can be totally stupid when they troll.

The response you received from me was in response to the tone of your post. I didn't start this thread to debate the merits of various witches. I started it to post a coupon for anyone who chose to buy this winch. You apparently didn't grasp this, and came off as an arrogant brick. Just another ignorant yokel know-it-all who ASSumed that because I was promoting an economical winch I knew nothing.

FYI – as a ship captain, and long time Bering Sea fisherman, with many years on deck aboard large industrial fishing trawlers, I can guarantee you that I know way more about rigging than you do. Winches too. When you're towing nets that strain 3 acres of ocean, and hauling 120 ton bags of fish up on deck, you learn about this stuff.
I've had a harbor freight 9000 winch on my jeep for a few years now. I don't use it all the time, but whenever I do it performs just like it should. And has given no indication that it will not continue to do so. So that, at least in my mind, tells me that this product is pretty well suited for what I'm using it for. As would be the 12,000, if I was to buy that and stick it on the front of my bus.
So feel free to use the coupon if you're interested. If not, take your BS somewhere else

rayra

Expedition Leader
'Parking lot sale' price on these starts tomorrow / friday, they're advertised at $279.99

ckkone

Explorer
Sweet another $10 off!

I've had my eye on the the two below, the 9500 is more than enough winch for almost all the vehicles on this site. I've seen the 12k one drop down to $449 a couple of times in the past month. I think its a better deal than the Badlands since it comes with synthetic rope, but its hard to beat Harbor Freights warranty I've never had an issue returning something that was within the warranty period.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K150ZNG/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I4TGSN7AQUPJU&colid=2HTBEUTMOK166

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K150ZJA/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I22RXUZECWENJ1&colid=2HTBEUTMOK166

monele

Adventurer
For anyone thinking about going this route that is a Costco member or has friends who are...they have a Champion 12K with integrated solenoid, mounting cradle, snatch block and cover for $369 and they'll ship it for $10. I don't have one to know for sure, but I would bet this is just as good (maybe slightly better than) the one from HF. Certainly comes with a nice assortment of accessories for the $$$.

The only argument I would make for brand name over generic is parts availability. I know I can get parts for Warn, Ramsey, Superwinch etc. The HF, Champion, et al? No idea how to get parts. I'm sure they are out there, but tracking them down might be iffy. If you don't use it all that often? You'll probably be fine.

For the money, the Milemarker Hydraulic is unbeatable IMHO. It may be slow, but it is nearly impossible to stall and has basically no amp draw. The darned thing will drag my truck on asphalt with all 4 tires locked. (Of course when that happens I have to shut it down right away as I don't want to see what happens if you find a way to over load one!) The down side is cost, weight, and your engine HAS to be running to power it. No pulling yourself off the trail if you have engine problems. I use might as a work tool vs. trail tool. It would pull my 1/2 ton up a building if I let.

Deshet

Adventurer
I really only bought my F450 for the 20,000 winch. It is PTO driven and can pull anything
I plan on putting a winch on my current truck.
I would like to get something with product support although I hope to never wear it out.

I found this website a couple weeks ago. They make direct copies of ARB winches. The make bumpers for many different vehicles. They even make winches. Most of the copies they make have the same part number as the orginial with the first two letters changed. It looks like the make copies of some of the more respected winch brands. I wonder if any of you have bought anything from this website. It seems that many have bought the arb lockers and had the same performance as the real thing for about 1/2 the costs. I have never purchased anything from this company but wonder if they make a better performing chinese product for a lot less.

http://www.china4x4extreme.com/en_products/X-SERIES-1-14-1/

Dalko43

Explorer
It seems that many have bought the arb lockers and had the same performance as the real thing for about 1/2 the costs. I have never purchased anything from this company but wonder if they make a better performing chinese product for a lot less.

http://www.china4x4extreme.com/en_products/X-SERIES-1-14-1/

That website doesn't look like a place I'd want to buy anything from. And if you're getting deal on air lockers and other accessories that is too good to be true, it's probably because the products are crap.

From my own experiences with rifles, you can buy any number of cheap scopes and accessories for Remington 700's and other rifles. The products that actually work well and last are the ones you pay a decent amount of money for....you get what you pay for.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Those badlands winches are one of the best deals in the business! I beat mine like a red headed step child. If it dies, I'll yank it off and throw on another one. The things I do to kill a winch will kill ANY winch. It's a lot easier to swallow killing the harbor freight cheapie than the WARN.

A friend of mine has two car hauler trailers. One with a warn 12k, the other with a badlands 12k. The badlands is stronger and faster than the warn.

Another friend of mine logs hardwood timber (choice saw logs only) and runs the badlands on his one ton gin pole trucks. No problem working them all day.

Another buddy has one on a hitch carrier and has used it for years. Once he pulled my old F-100 with a broken axle probably an 8th of a mile up a red clay hill to where a wrecker could reach it. He woul move up the hill, chain to another tree, free spool the cable and hook again. It seemed like we did that 100 times (didn't even bother to call the wrecker till the next day)! I think it's a champion (harbor freight before the badlands name I think).

Make sure your cables are up to snuff, try to keep the thing dry, and THROW AWAY THAT CIRCUIT BREAKER THAT COMES WITH IT!!!

I repeat, THROW AWAY THE CIRCUIT BREAKER!!!

That thing WILL cause your badlands winch to die a premature death!

I have burned up solenoids and overheated motors on these before, but that is due to severe disregard (neglegence?) of the duty cycle. The only one I have seen truly killed I loaned to my brother-in-law and he let an inexperienced guy use it who let all the cable load up on one side of the drum and broke the housing. That guy would have killed a WARN too. And I would have been MAD.

The new 12k badlands has a spring loaded cable guide that works pretty darn good. I can't see the winch well in the bumper on my Dodge, but I don't worry much because of the cable guide.

I run a WARN on my old Suburban, but it has a chinese motor on it now.

I view a winch as an expendable item. I am prepared to kill it if I need to in order to move what I need to move. I have had a much better bang for the buck with the badlands, champion, and other cheap winches over the years than I have with WARN. YMMV!

radiantsilver

I've run one for three years now on my Jeep JKU. I've never kept it covered, or weather protected. I've never hesitated to use it, although I've not needed it a lot. These winches are really a good bargain. My only complaint is that the free-spool lever seems to only lock in one spot on the spool, so it takes some playing around to engage the spool. When my current Badlands winch dies it will be replaced with the same Badlands winch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier