All Terrain Warriors campers

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
2012 Brisbane 4x4 Show.

Our suspension engineer and myself will be on the Toyo Tyres stand this Saturday between midday and 2 pm if anyone wants to drop in. The stand is just opposite ARB and Ironman in building 8 .....you won't miss tan-coloured Canter. John.

Last edited:

mab

Observer
was at the show today and had a good look at the "yellow" canter. huge show, need a couple of days to see it all. So many cool new gadgets. managed to get out without spending more than $100 for the day, but I've got plenty of online shopping to do when I get time to read all the brochures I picked up. Make sure you get a bag at the gate, you will need it for all the leaflets. and check out the army bushranger. the guys will let you crawl all over it. very tough even without the guns.
Picture 022.jpg

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I am surprised that bushranger does not have a more V shaped hull to it. All of the new trucks for the US and British armies have a super sharp V shape hull on the bottom to deflect the effects of an undetected IED.

So back to the topic at hand... A 4x4 for on road only? And no low range? Wow you are hardly better off than we are now. At least you have the front end all set so you can just put on a decent transfercase and should be fine right?

whatcharterboat

I am surprised that bushranger does not have a more V shaped hull to it. All of the new trucks for the US and British armies have a super sharp V shape hull on the bottom to deflect the effects of an undetected IED.

Hi Brian....I know they look like a shoe box but the design is predominantly based on a V hull. By chance, I was in traffic today and passed a convoy of 6. You can see the "V-hull" shape in the rear view shown in the pic. All the side boxes, fuel tank, some other ancillary gear and even the mudguards are made so that in a blast it all blows off and looks like a boat I guess. That way the vehicle is far more usable with better storage and carrying ability, lower CoG, etc and in a blast the fuel is on its way to the next country so safer, etc.

IMG00041-20120325-1357.jpg

I heard that there has been quite of few of these completely destroyed by IED's without serious injury to the occupants ... hope that's true .... but I have only heard good things about them from ADF personnel.

Regards John

Last edited:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Ok, thank you very much John, I thought the V hull was a Nato wide thing, but was not sure. Thanks for adding that which the 1000 words of the photo did not convey.

Very cool idea, and I like the low COG as well. I fear many of our vehicles are very top heavy. At least we have enough room to sit in them with full battle rattle on now, unlike the old HMMWV. They are also loads more comfortable to ride in which no one is complaining about either!

Regards,
Brian

whatcharterboat

Ok, thank you very much John, I thought the V hull was a Nato wide thing, but was not sure. Thanks for adding that which the 1000 words of the photo did not convey.

No worries Brian,

I just thought it was a real coincidence me taking that pic only a couple of hours before your post....they aren't the sort of thing you see every day here.

Hey Brian...you know I made the comment about no injuries aafter the IED's.....I just read that there has been 31 of them totally wrecked by IED's with zero fatality.

Found this pic on the net but shows a rare trayback without the side bins,,,you can see the V-hull a bit clearer.
Bushmaster-ute2-web.jpg

and can pick it out here too.

bushmaster_14.jpg

Hey...this shot really shows it.....especially for the front guards.

879147-bushmaster.jpg

And if you are interested, this is what is replacing our ADF landrovers >>> Hawkei's

hawkei-eyes-ADF-w.jpg

796015.jpg

Last edited:

blackduck

Explorer
Big is good
we need something huge to fill the space available in the 2 new "amphibious" (read aircraft carriers) ships the government has signed up to
problem will be I dont think we have landing craft that big
but that has never stopped the powers that be going on a big spend on useless equipment (sea sprites - collins class , etc)

Amesz00

Adventurer
And if you are interested, this is what is replacing our ADF landrovers >>> Hawkei's

I thought they had a deal with Daimler Chrysler for G series...

they do. i think the hawkie's are more for tactical transport, kinda like the ASLAV. also MAN got a nice big contract for a stack of 4x4s + 6x6s, to replace the mogs and macks.

PKDreamers

Adventurer
I seen four 4x4 and a 6x6 G series on the way to home the other night . Not sure if they where RAAF or army both play near our place.
Look pretty cool looking trucks .

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Yes John,

Those photos show it a lot better. That looks like a very nice design for the truck. I also like the rear seating. It looks like a guy might actually have some room to maneuver in there. I personally think that the G and the Landi are not the best choice for much of anything the military has to do. They get places, that is for sure, and that is great for a training environment, but for war times I personally would want something a little more beafy like the last photo you showed. Good clearance, with large tires, yet still a low (all things considered) COG. To me it is akin to when we replaved the venerable jeep with the HMMWVs. The jeep is great in our own country, but the HMMWV was far better for running around in other nations. Now the new JLTV and the ACV are much better than the HMMWV.

Militarily it boils down to the simple truth; those who do not evolve die off.

Witchdoctor Oz

Adventurer
Thanks John for the tour around your factory & giving my wife & I the chance to see some of your latest developments.
That grey Hino is very impressive :cool:.
I also got to see a parabolic spring setup on a Mitsubishi :Wow1:, very nice indeed.

Thanks again for your time much appreciated John.

David

whatcharterboat

Thanks John for the tour around your factory & giving my wife & I the chance to see some of your latest developments.
That grey Hino is very impressive :cool:.

Hi David,

Yes. Good to meet you and Dee. Also thought your camper was awesome ... certainly one of the best (if not THE best) home made camper module I've seen on the back of 4wd ute.

And wait till you see that Hino sitting on the big singles. It's going to be so tough. I'll definitely post pics then but it has to be finished by next Wednesday which was why all the guys were going hard on Saturday when you showed up.

Regards John.

Last edited:

blackduck

Explorer
Militarily it boils down to the simple truth; those who do not evolve die off.[/QUOTE]

this might be the case if your wearing green cams
but for those uf us that wear grey (that use to be blue) the simple truth is if you cant evolve sell it to the RAN
they'll buy any old rubbish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles