Changing a flat on lifted trucks: tall bottle jack or hi-lift?

stioc

Expedition Leader
So how do you guys change a flat on the side of the road? My OEM manual bottle jack no longer reaches the jacking points. I'm trying to decide if I should find a long range (23") hydraulic bottle jack or get a hi-lift with a lift-mate and then carry a jack stand. The former seems easier but I have yet to find one that goes that high. The hi-lift looks cool and you could use it for other things but it also scares me. It just doesn't look very stable and I'll probably be worried about it slipping and taking out my leg or something.

LilKJ

Adventurer
Hi-lift and jackstands... after having to do field repairs once without... I always have jackstands now.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Bottle jack and a block of wood to reach the axle or some other jacking point. If not a highlift might be the only opton. I carry both and a good size block of wood.

bluejeep

just a guy
I concur on the bottle jack or floor jack if possible. Else lift with the hi-lift but don't leave it at that - set it on jackstands, blocks, whatever. Very dangerous to do any work on a vehicle suspended on a hi-lift. Hi lift also makes an add on that allows you to grab the wheel so you lift the axle direct instead of maxing the suspension droop first before the tire comes off the ground. Works well to lift, then block under the axle and remove the add-on/jack.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I gave up on a Hi-Lift. Carried one for years & used it once. Was very rickety too. I find this to be far more useful:
Jack.jpg

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
A high lift jack is probably the most versatile instrument of its kind. It can also be the easiest way to injure someone during a recovery. A bottle jack is pretty safe, but it may not do the job required. My vote is for the hi-lift, in lou of options such as the x-jack, which has taken my fancy as of late...

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
They do come in handy. This one came from the Saugus Swap Meet for the princely sum of $50 1987 dollars. The buyer wasn't too sure that it would work, so he only bought one of the many that the guy had. And, of course, the seller was never seen again.

Odessa1.jpg

chasespeed

Explorer
I use a bottle jack, or a floor jack... I couldnt even pick up the front of my truck with a hi lift... nor would I try.... Had one for my Zu, and one for the Bronco... it was.... rickety.... at least with a floor jack, or a bottle jack, its... more stable.... and yes, a few different sized pieces of wood for height, and stability help alot as well....

Chase

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't think of a situation off camber with multiple items stacked up being anything resembling stable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles