RTIC Coolers

A long time lurker and your first 3 posts are about a slightly off decal and small finish issues that wouldn't effect the coolers ability to do it's job with zero mention of calling the manufacturer or vendor you purchased it through to give them a chance to fix the problem? It would be understandable if you said hey, I called them and they said **** so you were here to complain. As it stands you posted to tell us your first thought was to log on to a website, seek out an ongoing RTIC thread and complain without giving the mfg or seller a chance to make it right? I've had way more expensive **** than a cooler have issues and simply gone back to the people that made the product for a resolution but that's just me.

I did contact them. I just received an automated email saying I had to send the cooler back for a refund along with recommended shipping vendors. They're sold out and since they settled the lawsuit with Yeti to cease all sales of this design, they won't be getting anymore in.

I just noticed a lot of other people having issues in other places I frequent so I wanted to pass the information on here as I usually look to off-roading sites for equipment reviews before purchasing outdoors equipment, since their members actually tend to use it and not just look at it.

Surface porosity in polyethylene isn't a cosmetic issue, it's an issue with raw material contamination before going into the mold, usually water, but sometimes other materials as well. It creates a final product with half the strength as it was designed to have and also has the potential for generating residual stresses which can cause it to warp or fail as time goes on. (I took a few polymers engineering classes when I was getting my degree) Not to forget they're nice hiding spots for bacteria when you're trying to clean the thing. Not being able to put a lock through locking holes isn't a cosmetic issue either.

All that I'm saying is be cautious about their products. Them going from a 7 year, to a 90 day, to a 30 day warranty should tell you what kind of faith they have in them. It just seems to be luck of the draw more so than it should be with RTIC. If igloo and coleman can fill shelves at wally world with $20-$50 coolers that look perfect, why can't you expect that from an item costing 3-4x as much? It being less expensive than the name brand that's grossly overpriced isn't an excuse.

TFin04

Adventurer
It being less expensive than the name brand that's grossly overpriced isn't an excuse.

Actually, that's its only excuse. Nobody would buy RTIC if they didn't undercut Yeti.

You bring up a number of valid points about the (poor) quality of the RTIC product. Does Yeti have the same issues? How is their warranty compared to RTIC? Do you expect Yeti to remain in this market to provide warranty service for years to come? Yes, those are all leading questions.

"Grossly overpriced" is an individual opinion on value. Yeti has proven to deliver a quality product and support. Many rely on them to store game meat or supplies in remote locations that took a hell of a lot of planning, time, and money to get to. Going to throw that all away over $200? To me, that's approaching the problem completely wrong.

If you NEED the performance of a Yeti, their prices are bearable. If you just need a cooler, well, roll the dice somewhere else.

krax

Adventurer
I'm curious how this lawsuit will affect the many other knockoff companies. I have to wonder if RTIC singled themselves out by comparing themselves to Yeti whereas Monoprice, Ozark Trails, and others are quiet about it.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'm curious how this lawsuit will affect the many other knockoff companies. I have to wonder if RTIC singled themselves out by comparing themselves to Yeti whereas Monoprice, Ozark Trails, and others are quiet about it.
I think the other companies like Ozark Trails went about their cooler development in a different way.
They didn't look at a Porsche and say, "I'm going to build a cheap Porsche copy", they looked at the Porsche and said, "I'm going to build a sports car like a Porsche, my way, less expensive, and with features my drivers will like better..."
You don't see Ford in a lawsuit with Chevy over the Mustang and Camaro...

perterra

Adventurer
I think the other companies like Ozark Trails went about their cooler development in a different way.
They didn't look at a Porsche and say, "I'm going to build a cheap Porsche copy", they looked at the Porsche and said, "I'm going to build a sports car like a Porsche, my way, less expensive, and with features my drivers will like better..."
You don't see Ford in a lawsuit with Chevy over the Mustang and Camaro...

I doubt RTIC had much of a hand in design, some Chinese rotomolder probably made a knock off and RTIC just saw a window of opportunity to market it.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I doubt RTIC had much of a hand in design, some Chinese rotomolder probably made a knock off and RTIC just saw a window of opportunity to market it.
I'm just talking about method of development in general, not exactly pointing a finger at rtic....

I look at some of the high-end coolers and I see a company that makes a single product or maybe one small family of products. The model lends itself to copycatting.

Then I look at the company that makes the Ozark Trails rotomolded coolers and I see a company that makes a HUGE variety of coolers ---- that implies to me that there will be even more improvement/innovations coming in their high-end line. This sort of company has R&D teams. They don't "knock off"; they grab the ball and run with it.

Actually, that's its only excuse. Nobody would buy RTIC if they didn't undercut Yeti.

You bring up a number of valid points about the (poor) quality of the RTIC product. Does Yeti have the same issues? How is their warranty compared to RTIC? Do you expect Yeti to remain in this market to provide warranty service for years to come? Yes, those are all leading questions.

"Grossly overpriced" is an individual opinion on value. Yeti has proven to deliver a quality product and support. Many rely on them to store game meat or supplies in remote locations that took a hell of a lot of planning, time, and money to get to. Going to throw that all away over $200? To me, that's approaching the problem completely wrong.

If you NEED the performance of a Yeti, their prices are bearable. If you just need a cooler, well, roll the dice somewhere else.

Not really, the products are made of the same materials and manufacturing processes. Granted, ordering it from a manufacturer that can supply quality items will probably cost a bit more, but generally those manufacturers have their process optimized to the point where it's actually less expensive for them to make something than it for a hack shop to do it. Less waste. Although, the place RTIC gets them from seems to ship anything that comes off the line, so.. zero waste.

The Yeti's do have a nice fit and finish to them. I'm sure a bad one slips through every once in a while but I've yet to see one look that bad at Cabelas, Gander Mountain, or Ace Hardware. Yeti has a 5 year warranty, when the RTIC's first came out they had a 7 year warranty, now they have a 30 day. A warranty doesn't cost a manufacturer anything if they put out a quality product designed to last beyond the warranty. The older yeti's had a pretty pronounced molding line, the new ones you can still see it, but it's subtle. For whatever reason RTIC's coolers they try to get rid of it all together, but they do a horrible job on some of them as you can see.

Yeti does provide a good product, I'm not saying they don't. But what you're paying for is the brand and marketing with Yeti (look at the tumblers, the Walmart ones are made at the same factory in China, offer a lifetime warranty, and are a third of the price), and I guess security, I'm sure they'll be around for a very long time which probably isn't the case with a lot of the knock off companies. There are multiple roto-molded options out there that are better or equal to yeti, US made, and offer a lifetime warranty with just as good of service, and plenty of long term security. Pelican, The Cabelas Polar Cap, and ORCA. The pelicans and polar caps are less expensive than yeti, with the ORCA's at the same level, I'm not sure if ORCA will be around as long as Yeti will be though.

I have a 20 Qt. Orca that I picked up at the local tractor supply. The manager isn't too bright there and mismarks just about every display she puts up. I ended up getting it at a price too cheap to mention. No way I would have paid the $279(it's the realtree version) they wanted originally. But actually if you have one close those to a tractor supply they're on clearance right now for $150(I paid even less than that) in store but $229 online http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/orca-ice-retention-cooler-green?cm_vc=-10005

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I considered getting an Orca when I was shopping for coolers. To me it seems they are almost identical to the Yeti/RTIC other than the color options.

screwball48

Explorer
I noticed the Orca products at my local Tractor Supply today. I found it odd that the store did not stock them before Christmas. Now they have them and every item was on clearance. Either Tractor Supply bought a large enough quantity to put them on clearance directly or someone caught wind of the Yeti suit and thought it best to wash hands of a similar product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have two Orca 58s that I have had for about three years. They are NOT knockoffs of the Yeti, because they are a completely different form factor, with different features. I bought the Orcas for three reasons:
1. The Orcas always finished at or near the top in every cooler comparison I could find at the time.
2. The pair of Orca 58s fit the space in the bed of my truck much better than any other cooler.
3. Orca at that time was selling cosmetic blems at significantly discounted prices. The blemishes on mine were minor errors in silkscreening the labels, nothing else that I could find.

the place RTIC gets them from seems to ship anything that comes off the line, so.. zero waste.
Orca WAS selling blems through their distributor network. When a friend wanted a couple and we couldn't find them, I called Orca. They told me they were no longer selling their blems but were grinding them up and back into the rotomolder. As far as I know, Yeti is still selling blems, but only at their warehouse in Texas.

I have said before and will say again: These coolers are now commodity items, just like paper towels or bottled water. There are cheap paper towels and expensive paper towels, and you get to choose which you prefer. There is just not that much difference from the best to the worst and they all do the same thing.

svana

Observer
Well, here's mine that came in. Quality is meh, but I obviously didn't expect yeti quality. A few scratches and scrapes, but I'd expect those to be on a yeti after one camping trip if I'd have bought one. They also have some pitting and bad cleanouts, but I'll live with it for less than half the price.
1c4da78fcf5fbb514b4844f2cd81411c.jpg
0db8cfb0aad885d500667c3ba2391b52.jpg
7c9178ce09c703dbaa1b74568b31ad2e.jpg
ae841782c14aa79839d255dc42589445.jpg
db2f25b6070b551b7c228fcd4058e3c6.jpg
f5df3172a319a63b58123e09c0488ff4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttengineer

Adventurer
My tan 45 should be in tomorrow. I tried to get a 65 but they were sold out.
I really could care less if it looks bad though. As long as it performs then it's all good. Plus I think I'm going to put a skin/wrap on it.

ttengineer

Adventurer
My tan 45 should be in tomorrow. I tried to get a 65 but they were sold out.
I really could care less if it looks bad though. As long as it performs then it's all good. Plus I think I'm going to put a skin/wrap on it.

Used the 45 for the first time this weekend. Packed ice half way in it on Friday night. Just drained it, only about 2 cups of water came out. This thing is well worth the 140 I spent on it.

straps57

Observer
Used the 45 for the first time this weekend. Packed ice half way in it on Friday night. Just drained it, only about 2 cups of water came out. This thing is well worth the 140 I spent on it.

They lost their lawsuit with Yeti. Not sure I would be buying any products from them anytime soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles