Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

screwball48

Explorer
26ea838ebf7d063fac4872aa918b571f.jpg

Not really going to be an expedition rig, but I will be putting plenty of miles on this. Only about 125 miles so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Regarding the visibility of the Hitchgate. 235/65/17 tire.
da595fd3957a1e4a7d76d2832890e38d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I use a hitchgate on my truck. I tried it on the Subaru and lost far too much precious load capacity. Its a heavy piece of kit great kit but heavy. And with our kids+ gear and our 4x6 trailer 900lbs empty and max 1200lbs packed mode every bit of Subaru load capacity matters.

Solo or very lightly packed two up the hitch gate would be a great big spare hauling option.

Itsavanman

Adventurer
I gotta ask how can y'all justify the extreme price tag of the methods? so far with good driving techniques ive surprised more than a few folks.. still have no need for more sidewall...

perterra

Adventurer
I gotta ask how can y'all justify the extreme price tag of the methods? so far with good driving techniques ive surprised more than a few folks.. still have no need for more sidewall...

I would say the modifications are not intended for you then.

Justification has little to do with anything.

Last edited:

elephant man

speed corection

Hi all.
What do you guys with bigger than stock wheels and tires do to corect the speedo reading?
I own a 2008 SG lifetd 2' front and 2.5' rear and looking into bigger than stock (215/60-16) tires.
Was thinking on 215/75-15 or 215/70-16 AT tires.
My main concern is the impact the lower reading will have on the safety systems. ABS mainly.

perterra

Adventurer
Hi all.
What do you guys with bigger than stock wheels and tires do to corect the speedo reading?
I own a 2008 SG lifetd 2' front and 2.5' rear and looking into bigger than stock (215/60-16) tires.
Was thinking on 215/75-15 or 215/70-16 AT tires.
My main concern is the impact the lower reading will have on the safety systems. ABS mainly.

I cant see how it would affect the ABS? The speed difference in those sizes would be negligible.

It never did on either my Rodeo, Nissan Frontier or my xterra.

elephant man

The vehicle travels faster than it knows.
I would think the systems that relly on the speed readout, will be affected.
Although the difference is small, it is enough to make the difference between airbag deployment and not.
Is there a way or a device that allows the adjustment of that parameter?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

perterra

Adventurer
The vehicle travels faster than it knows.
I would think the systems that relly on the speed readout, will be affected.
Although the difference is small, it is enough to make the difference between airbag deployment and not.
Is there a way or a device that allows the adjustment of that parameter?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I thought the anti locks relied on wheel rotation differential and the airbags rely on a mechanical g force sensor that any impact above the 10 to 15 mph range triggers it. If it were tied to an electrical impulse of a speedometer, then a blown fuse would cripple the air bag.

If you are sitting still and hit by another car, your airbag deploys, speed may have some effect, but it isnt made to be dependent on knowing your speed.

Last edited:

Hodaka

Adventurer
I gotta ask how can y'all justify the extreme price tag of the methods?

I paid $145 ea for mine - how is that extreme? There are alternatives out there, but these were designed specifically for use on Subarus. Also, the 15” allows me to use a 225/70-15 instead of a 215/65-16, which gives me basically 1” more sidewall, only a slight increase in overall OD, deeper tread (on an AT2), and full extreme winter rating. Makes sense to me.

Itsavanman

Adventurer
thats fine I suppose, but what exactly do you get? I've been places and done things on my stock rims, and still don't see why I need the extra sidewall.. with the new multi link rear your running out of suspension before you run out of tire..

and a skid plate I made...

jPNKJLm.jpg

perterra

Adventurer
thats fine I suppose, but what exactly do you get? I've been places and done things on my stock rims, and still don't see why I need the extra sidewall.. with the new multi link rear your running out of suspension before you run out of tire..

and a skid plate I made...

jPNKJLm.jpg

Not sure what you are getting at, how do you justify what you have done?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94