Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa

suntinez

Explorer
I want to add my voice to the chorus of thanks for this amazing trip report. Not only for the journey, but for taking the considerable amount of time to share it with us. What a compelling tale.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's thinking "How far would I go? What would I do?"

Please convey all respect to Josephine for her role in this adventure, and if she should decide to put down a few words somewhere, I'm sure we'd all read that too!

I can't wait to hear your conclusions on this venture, and the motivations as well.

Carry on :victory:

Maryland 110

Adventurer
Kind of like the difference in philosophy between sailing and power boating. Sailing is said to be all about the voyage. Power boating the destination. I love the comment that digging out is part of the journey- to be savored just like the rest of the trip.

His philosophy is clear. He could extend his adventure approximately a month for the price of a winch. I think that's an awesome prospective. I too have eaten this thread up and eagerly await Mondays installments.
Thank you for sharing your journey with the forum.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Kind of like the difference in philosophy between sailing and power boating. Sailing is said to be all about the voyage. Power boating the destination. I love the comment that digging out is part of the journey- to be savored just like the rest of the trip.

His philosophy is clear. He could extend his adventure approximately a month for the price of a winch. I think that's an awesome prospective. I too have eaten this thread up and eagerly await Mondays installments.
Thank you for sharing your journey with the forum.
See to me I would assumed having a winch would mean less damage to the vehicle and thereby going further and longer w/ more enjoyment of the travel, maybe even being able to find more adventure still. Not to mention less frustration and self inflicted pain. Would also save far more money then the cost of the winch.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
All,

While we are waiting for Frederik to write his next installment, may I suggest you watch this video?

It gives a good perspective on what Frederik and Josephine had to go through.

Frederik, is this the same road you took?

rydz

insane.epic and without the proper words to describe the adventure this couple has shared, I wish you both the very best.

Most (myself included) here can only dream of this sort of adventure not to mention a "spouse" that would share it with us.

Paulo

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
OK, I'm last to this party. :elkgrin: I don't know how many hours I spent today reading this trip report from the beginning to end (or at least up to this page).

What an amazing journey. I can't remember another trip report with such outstanding writing and pictures. Your cliff hanger endings to some posts have such and impact. My only benefit of catching up was that the response to the cliff hangers were on the next page and not days away. :wings:

Thanks for taking the time to share the details of your journey with us. You can see how many folks are following your every step.

PS. You two are nuts! In a good way.:elkgrin: I wouldn't have the nerve to pull off what you have but I appreciate and respect your perseverance and drive to complete your journey. Kudos to you both. :victory:

I now will be following this to the bitter end.

Last edited:

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I am having withdrawals!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's get this journey going again!! :smiley_drive:
Yes living this adventure thru their report has been so thrilling that I wonder if we should chip in money and send folks out rather then go ourselves? :sombrero: But if I have to put in dollars I want a winch!!!!!:victory:

mph

Expedition Leader
Their is a show on the TRU Channel entitled Deadliest Journeys. There was an episode I watched last night that took place in the Congo. Crazy stuff...Reminded me of this great trip report. In the show, a supply truck takes 1 month to cover 400 miles. Now that is some patience...

Thanks for a great trip report!

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
Their is a show on the TRU Channel entitled Deadliest Journeys. There was an episode I watched last night that took place in the Congo. Crazy stuff...Reminded me of this great trip report. In the show, a supply truck takes 1 month to cover 400 miles. Now that is some patience...

Thanks for a great trip report!

I just watched that as well trying to get my fix, quite a struggle. :coffeedrink:

haven

Expedition Leader
Note that the Iveco truck that stars in the Dangerous Journeys video is rear wheel drive with dual rear wheels. Drivers get stuck, but with the help of the passengers and other vehicles (other drivers help because the road is usually blocked by the stuck vehicle), everybody gets to their destination.

Very few heavy vehicles in third world settings have front drive axles (too easily broken) and single rear wheels (tires too heavy and very difficult to find).

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles