Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
SO WHERE IS all of the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth!?!?

They said they would be back yesterday and still nothing. I figured all of you intrepid readers would be worried by now, at least two of you mentioning "should we send out a search party?"

Well I for one was certainly looking forward to having missed a portion of the report, and being able to read it now! sigh...

;)

Note that the Iveco truck that stars in the Dangerous Journeys video is rear wheel drive with dual rear wheels. Drivers get stuck, but with the help of the passengers and other vehicles (other drivers help because the road is usually blocked by the stuck vehicle), everybody gets to their destination.

Very few heavy vehicles in third world settings have front drive axles (too easily broken) and single rear wheels (tires too heavy and very difficult to find).

You know, that is a very good point. I always thought that the super singles were an extravagance that did not make a lot of sense to me. I drove two wheel drive dump trucks in pretty nasty (huge) snow covered construction sites. We used to get rocks between the wheels, all you do is wrap a chain around the rock, stick the other end under the front wheel, and back up. Will pull that rock right out.

I have also wondered about overlanding in a two x four/six and it seems like you could certainly go most places you wanted to. Heck just travel with someone in a monster 4x4 and they can pull you out! haha.

cwsqbm

Explorer
SO WHERE IS all of the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth!?!?

They said they would be back yesterday and still nothing. I figured all of you intrepid readers would be worried by now, at least two of you mentioning "should we send out a search party?"

Well I for one was certainly looking forward to having missed a portion of the report, and being able to read it now! sigh...
I'm trying to be suffer in quiet, even though I've checked this thread probably 10x since yesterday, awaiting an update. I figure that since we're all hooked, he's releasing it to be purchased in book form in time for Christmas. I'd buy a copy. Given how easy it is to self-publish, why not?

K2ZJ

Explorer
What? Are you going to delete this thread and see how many of us die without knowing how the trip ends? :xxrotflma:jump::hehe:

LOL, that would be suicide. Rigs from all over the continent would swarm Montreal and San Fran looking for him!

But just in case I am packing the rig now! Meet and greet at 2aroundtheworlds! :smiley_drive:

Wander

Expedition Leader
I keep reminding myself that this is the completed threads section so they have not been caputred by some gang hoped up on gold and whatever cheap drug of the day is in the jungle.

rdraider

Adventurer
I hope they're not on one of those 6 week European weekends. I'm thinking its more likely,just a 5 day weekend. Damn metric system!

ej1096

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! MORE!!!!!!!!!! No but really I understand you have a life outside this forum. This is by far the coolest thing I have read on a forum EVER. However I stand by my original statement: AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! MORE!!!!!!!

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
...But it's still Sunday evening in Belgium; Different time zone. :D

Belgium is ahead of me (mountain west) by about 10 hrs. It looks to be about 2:30 AM Wednesday November 17 . The time zones start at the international date line somewhere in the Pacific between Hawaii and Guam and travel west. I lived in the Philippines for a few years, it was quite an interesting experience coming home over the date line.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles