Expedition Vehicles: ridiculously overpriced or not

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
To add insult to injury, per some youtube videos Sportsmobile is busy until a year out for 100k+ builds. I really dont get it. Maybe there should be more competition for this or a builder overseas to have turn key products. I recently ordered a triple slide camper and have purchased bigger AT tires/rims for my dually f, to give it a more offroad capacity and a better look (yes I am that superficial) . This will be my poor mans build of an Earth Roamer, also considering the 12k Kelderman suspension upgrade if it seems worthy. I do not plan to do major offroading but want the 4x4 ability, if I get stuck or get in tight places. 60k for camper, 60k for truck, we will see how it goes.

There is a market for someone to build a capable ************ looking camper for around 150k.

150K? Sheesh. You could be right, but I'm thinking of half that price. You can buy a "for realsies" sports car for 150K. Might wind up fooling around with a female movie star after spending the dough.

I'll tell you what. If China starts to import a Toyota chassis with a semi-reliable camper assembly attached, you'd have to be a fool not to buy in. 70K. Most of us go camping 8 times per year by my guess. Would I choose an anemic, yet reliable Toyota engine or a Dodge diesel? Um...Toyota. We all know that the real trick is getting 4 wheel drive.

There must be a reason why a cost-effective solution is not yet available. For the life of me I can't figure out what that reason is. "Overlandering" must really mean, "I am willing to go into debt for decades to fulfill my dream". or, Overlanders just have too much money.

Last edited:

Kali

As the popularity of Overlanding increases ,competition will increase as well in all aspects. From potential Overlanding vehicles to the overpriced ADV motorcycle training and tours. $750 a day beginner learning class to ride in the dirt, its comedy at its best. In 5 years from now, it will be a completely different ballgame. $200k for a Van conversion, will be laughable,it is laughable to me now.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
It's not a new fad; Europeans have been doing it forever. But they can drive to Africa, Middle East, Russia, China.

You could drive around the world in a used Winnebego if you were prepared to deal with the hassles.

Or you can spend the money to do it in comfort with the best chance of avoiding hassles.

What's a custom built 40' diesel pusher on a bus chassis cost?

dlh62c

Explorer
They will sell every one they build. Sourceing insurance is easy on a commercial built vehicle. Sourceing insurance on anything DIY is more problematic.

Tembo

topless adventures
I am much happier doing a RTW trip in a 30 year old Land Rover or Jeep...at last resort a Toyota...than in any expensive rig that is just going to scream 'rob me.' In my opinion, most of the people who buy those rigs will ever actually go anywhere except national parks. Instead, spend $3000 on a basic truck, $10,000 (max) getting it sorted out and spend the other $100,000 on your round the world trip.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
While I will agree that the entire scene is a "fad", that doesn't mean that everything is overpriced.

Im no ER fan, but they do build some fantastic units to a very high degree of fit and finish.
They also have a very loyal following and huge worldwide brand recognition.
All of which helps justify the cost.

Don't like it? Go buy a second hand Class C, toss a D60 under the front of it, and pretend to be happy with the quality. :chef:

And to compare ANY legit expedition rig to a new home is just silly. There simply is no comparison.

Homes are built with cost being the #1 concern. Expo rig?
Cost, while still important, is a secondary concern, a figure derived from materials, labor, overhead and market.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
How much are you willing to spend to avoid the hassles? Seriously curious.

Me personally? Nothing. I'm a wrenching fool and a glutton for punishment who just bought an antique to restore. That's nothing but hassles.

I also have no particular interest in going around the world. A buddy of mine did it, and he's fond of saying, "People are the same everywhere you go". Of course, I apply my own filter to that and twist it around into something he never meant... :) "If people are the same everywhere you go, that must mean the entire world is full of backwards, ************** rednecks."

If I were going to do it, I'd do it on a motorcycle. If I were going to do it on an unlimited budget, I'd buy a 747 to carry my motorcycle and do a "fly and drive" world tour.

But that's just me.

sologeek

Observer
Im just trying to wrap my head around some of the pricing for these overland vehicles from the 500k Earth Roamer to the 200k Sportmobile.
Does it really cost them that much to make or do they have a ridiculouly high profit margin? 100%? 200 +%?

Ahh the joy of living in the land of plenty! lol. I must admit they are fascinating to look at and I love the engineering and planning it takes to execute building one of these.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
What's more silly, a $400k pickup truck based camper that will take you all over the world in amazing comfort and reliability?

A $500k sport fishing boat only used to catch dinner or get away from the wife and job?

A $1million supercar only used to catch golddiggers?

Well, what they all have in common is high quality, fit and finish, spare no expense components and materials, lots of skilled labor, very low production numbers, and long waiting lists of buyers lol.

If it were easy to pump them out and sell them lots more people would be successfully doing it. The buyers are out there.

You want bang for the buck with nearly the same comfort get a used truck and truck camper and be on the road tomorrow. Or a used RV and a nice fat repair budget if you're going to drive rough roads :)

Joe917

Explorer
There are people lined up right now to buy a phone for $1000 that is almost the same as the phone they bought last year! Go figure.

Reactions: IPA

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
That's some marketing genius right there. Can't believe when I'm walking around in countries where people make what I'd consider starvation wages but they all seem to have nicer smartphones than me.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
There are people lined up right now to buy a phone for $1000 that is almost the same as the phone they bought last year! Go figure.

Yep

$1000 cell phones, and $80k super duty trucks.

THAT is the era we live in now :Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles