Ladies: Bathroom breaks on the trail - Please help with ideas and products!

seanz0rz

Adventurer
My wife and I are planning a 3 day, expedition style trip for our 1 year wedding anniversary with several other people. (yeah, i found the girl for me :D )

The only sticking point for both of us is bathroom use. being male, #1 is easy to accomplish throughout the day, and #2 can be saved for camp with a bucket and double doodie bags with a seat, and a pop up shelter.

the issue arises for my wife using the restroom during the day. She wants/requires something that is easy, sanitary, and i think most importantly, discrete. her biggest fear is advertising to everyone that she is using the restroom.

so, what products or methods have you found to accomplish relief on the trail?

i have seen these:
http://www.amazon.com/Travel-John-Portable-Bathroom-pack/dp/B000QCN298

has anyone used it? comments?

thanks for your help! i know some of this has been covered before, but i didnt find any information for being on the move without setting up the proper toilet, etc.

ericvs

:iagree:

what? she isn't into squatting off the back bumper? :REExeSquatsHL1:

A friend of mine used to use these and she claimed great success (I never saw it in action ). She wasn't scared of outhouses with this thing. Maybe more waste than needed, but allows peeing standing up.

http://www.pmateusa.com/home.html

good luck.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Since most people seem to need to use the restroom from time to time, it is NEVER a big deal out on the trail. In mean, what, some is going to say, "Egads dear lady, I can't believe you tinkled way out here in the middle of nowhere hours from the nearest proper toilet!"

I think the whole rigamarole of setting up a pottie shelter is way less discrete than dropping out of site for a moment or two. When I lead groups, I establish a port and starboard rule. One side of the line up for men, and the opposite side for the ladies. I have taken literally hundreds of people out into remote areas ( a dozen or so at a time), and have NEVER had an issue or compliant with this policy. It's really not a big deal with the type of people you find willing to go outdoors, pun intended. Nothing could be more natural, and isn't that the point of being out there, experiencing Nature?

overlander

Expedition Leader
I think your best bet is a PETT and pop up shelter. There's nothing wrong with other knowing you need to hit the head. Since you are going with others, you can schedule rest breaks every 1.5-2 hrs on the trail. Then set it up (which only takes a few min) and I'll bet almost everyone will use it in your caravan.

If she is new to this, you don't want to shortcut this experience...trust me. Having positive experiences in the first few trips will seal the deal for long term travel together. Get it wrong and you might as well find another passion.

Expedition Leader
I think the whole rigamarole of setting up a pottie shelter is way less discrete than dropping out of site for a moment or two.

While I agree completely, nevertheless my womenfolk appreciate and use the PETT toilet. Never set it up during the day though, only in camp at night.

Then there are the places like Canyonlands N.P. where packing out your waste is required by the permit.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
While I agree completely, nevertheless my womenfolk appreciate and use the PETT toilet. Never set it up during the day though, only in camp at night.

Then there are the places like Canyonlands N.P. where packing out your waste is required by the permit.

Oh yes, I completely agree. There is a distinct difference between in camp (or major stopping point) verses on the trail, which is what I thought the OP was inquiring about. I also fully agree with Marks comment about doing all you can to keep her happy. When "momma" is happy, everyone is happy.

seanz0rz

Adventurer
thanks for the suggestions!

i agree that to us as a whole, and to me to a certain degree, people knowing is no big deal. we all do it, no surprises, etc.

that isnt the way my wife was raised. to her its something to be hidden, and i can respect that.

setting up a potty on the trail is everything but discrete. she really wanted something she could use without anyone being the wiser.

this isnt behavior im going to be able to change, nor do i really want to. i just want to make her comfortable on the trail.

as for devices, the funnels mentioned above seem awkward to use, the pett is just too conspicuous, and the depends are a definite possibility.

keep posting! ladies, id like to hear from you!

Smksignals

Explorer
my wife will only use a public toilet as a last resort. she will never use the construction site type of port-a-pottie. that being said we took a 3 day trip over the summer and she used the Pett toilet no problem. At camp, I set up the shelter for privacy. While on the trail, I would pull over, set the Pett up next to the car on the passanger side, and pack out the waste when done.

overlander

Expedition Leader
Ladies? What ladies? I think setting up a quick tent for a 15 minute potty break is discrete enough if everyone is using it. I'm not sure how literal you're being about nobody knowing, but when you are at a restaurant sitting at a table, and she gets up to go, what does she say? I'm sure everyone knows she's using the restroom.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
that isnt the way my wife was raised. to her its something to be hidden, and i can respect that... she really wanted something she could use without anyone being the wiser.

I think you are going to need something like this then:

RV%20015%20(Small).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94