Morris Mule Trailers

georgiadrifter

Observer
Looking at a brand new Morris mule trail assembled and taxed and tagged OTD for $4,300 vs something used in the same range.
Used trailers in the 4K range are either home builds, m416 styles with no lids or possibly a used outlander Sherpa or Manley, etc. I don't have time or space to rebuild or extensively modify a trailer.
I want to toss a RTT on there and begin using it.
I do have time to add systems like water and electrical as my owner ship progresses.

A couple questions for mule owners:
Does the lid leak?
Is the fold down lid actually functional as a table?
Stability off road and on road with a RRT mounted high?
Any jeep owners report if the jeep tailgate will open with the mule in stock configuration.

Overall quality perceptions?
I appreciate the info.

1. Abe....yes my lid leaks....although minimal, it does leak. I haul my gear in two Zarges boxes, inside the Mule, so the minimal leakage doesn't not wet the gear. I've heard some owners say theirs do not leak. Maybe the seal on mine is not quite right.

2. The fold-down lid provides a table surface on both sides of the Mule, but only when the rack is in the highest position.

3. My tent is mounted low since I do a lot of interstate miles at 70-plus mph....to minimize wind resistance....so I can't speak to this.

4. I pull with a 4-Runner. My lift hatch is no where near the trailer when opening/closing. The trailer tongue is exceptionally long.

30a33bf6a07b9eff46143001672f0e58.jpg

Rack in high position...tables opened.

215b830395085b39c152958d0a0b24f2.jpg

Zarges

LostBurro

Observer
A couple questions for mule owners:
Does the lid leak?
Is the fold down lid actually functional as a table?
Stability off road and on road with a RRT mounted high?
Any jeep owners report if the jeep tailgate will open with the mule in stock configuration.

1) I live in southern Oregon and, in the almost two years I've had mine, I could put all the water leaked into a shot glass (if it didn't already have a liquid refreshment in it). I'm sure the seals will compress at some point in time and require replacement though.
2) The lids halves work great as tables, if you're tall enough. I use one lid for holding stuff removed from the trailer and the other as a work station for preparing food, etc. I put my cookstove on the downed tailgate, where I can reach it.
3) I had one of the smaller RTT's and had it on the high rack. I never felt it to be unstable, even in a pretty heavy wind/rain storm. (This storm created flash floods and mudslides that closed several Interstate Freeways in southern California. So, it wasn't your every day garden variety storm.) Due to my required tailgate cooking position I mounted my RTT to open off the back, rather than the side, so that I could have a dry place to sit or cook if it was raining.
4) Can't help you with this one. I tow mine with a '93 Cherokee Station Wagon and have no issues with opening the trunk lid. With the Morris built tongue jack and spare tire mount I still have 28" of clearance between the bumper and the leading edge of the jack bracket. If there is a dealer there by you I'd suggest driving your tow rig to them and hook up the trailer. then you'll know, for sure, what clearance issues you may/may not have.

Currently I don't have the high rack installed but I've carried both of my Jeep spares on it without any stability feel issues. And the two of them combined weight more than my RTT did.
You didn't state if you're looking at a Trail Grade or Field Grade but, with my Trail Grade (jack and spare mounted) I can jack a little past 90 degrees. That gives me full access to the cargo area of my Jeep.

Videos of both my trailer and my RTT on my youtube channel. I'm not a partner, so there shouldn't be any ads/adware on there (just turn off "autoplay"):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaxkUQMFUWhVJadklrIjdpw/playlists

mythinline

Just picked up my Mule yestarday and pulled it 720 miles home. Before I left I got a tour of the shop and saw some quality work that goes into these trailers, always nice to see what is under the paint and hidden out of sight. I was very pleased with how well the trailer tracked and behaved behind my JK at highway speeds and with some strong winds blowing. Morris was great to work with and I was able to work a couple of custom items into the build including matching my tire/wheel combo so I only need 1 spare and adding a MaxCoupler. Some have commented on the split lid design, but after a couple hours of driving rain on the highway and a quick pressure wash this morning, I found no water inside the bed. I will take the advantages of the split lid over any potential for a little water getting in. Can't wait to get this out on the trail for a clean up day and loaded up for some camping.

Did you supply the wheels, or are those available through Morris?

84-4runner

I am guess that thingie on the side of the trailer is a water pump do you just use a piece of tubing for a pickup and it self primes?? It looks like a good idea to me

Bitterborn

Cochise,
Some additional information from its maiden trip. The front platform is 42" wide and 18" deep before it angles towards the tongue. The hitch that comes standard is for a 2" ball. The fender will support 188 lbs without giving. You can put a soft side car top carrier on top of the lids for extra storage. The lids have to be open to drop the tailgate, once down the tailgate will support two adults. The lids function very well as tables and you can use a bit of paracord to tie a lid vertical to the rack to provide a windbreak opposite your cooking side. Lowering the tongue and extending the stabilizers will allow you to lift wheels off the ground when you jack the tongue back up. Current design requires 7/16 ratchet and wrench to change between short and long rack legs. Front rack legs are shorter than the rears so check before you tighten everything down. Trailer tracks very well behind our JKU, some bounce exists. R when loaded especially on rough pavement. Rather than getting an awning I am using a patio umbrella resting on the front platform and tied to the rack upright, ($30) at academy.

Since I know you are a fellow okie, personal trailer tag is available for $14.50 even though it's not required legally. Should you take it across state lines this cost would be worth it to prevent being pulled over and spending an hour convincing a trooper you are legal.

Silverhorse

Adventurer
I'm looking at getting one of these. I considered making my own trailer but the price point on these is really good. any new info on how the trailer and the Dexter Torsion axles are holding up?

TIA Bill

CarolinaBlue

Any additional longterm reviews from folks who own these trailers? We've had some testimonials from 2015 and 2016. Any changes or tweaks made since those earlier builds?

sabjku

Observer
I am very new to this site, but have found it to be a wealth of information. I have just recently joined so this is my first post, and I'll try to make it as informative as possible.

I just recently purchased a Morris Mule trailer, within the last month. I had just sold my pop-up camper and was looking to do a Roof Top Tent on my JKU. Being that I have a soft top, and really didn't want to give that up, I decided to go the route of a trailer. Being able to park the trailer and set up camp, and then drive away was also attractive.

I looked around a lot, for months, trying to figure out what I really wanted to do. I looked at a lot of used trailers, and a few on here, and entertained a number of other new options as well. Bottom line; most of the new trailers were either way out of my price range(for what I really wanted), or just appeared poorly built when they were at the lower price points. I can't even recall how, but I stumbled upon the Morris Mule web page and was immediately attracted to the versatility of Morris's trailers, and his very reasonable price points. I loved the idea of my "Expedition" trailer also being capable of picking up a load of mulch or stone! So, I called him.

The main message I'd like to drive home with my review is Morris's incredible level of friendliness, flexibility, and just an all around super nice guy. I've been in the retail business my entire life and can 100% appreciate his approach to taking care of his customers. Morris is just a pleasure to do business with and I would recommend him, and his company, to anyone.

With all that said, Morris and I started talking about what I wanted in a trailer, and decided that his Trail Grade option would be the best route. I mentioned that I'd like to run the same wheel and tire as on my Jeep(mainly to not have a second spare, and for looks, of course!), and that I was interested in color matching the trailer to my Jeep. I also mentioned that I was going to be doing a RTT and awning. Morris offered the idea up that I just have my Tepui tent drop shipped directly to him, along with the awning, and the wheels and tires to match my Jeep. This was great as it made it much easier on me since I was planning on doing a 10hr drive down to pick up my trailer directly from Morris. I didn't expect him to offer the tent and awning install, but it just proved how kind he was at offering to help get me set up with what I wanted. Keep in mind, I purchased the tent, awning, and wheels and tires separately, not from Morris. He impressed me even more when I picked up the trailer and didn't charge any labor at all for the tent or awning install!

After running over the details with Morris he gave me a timeline of about 4 weeks for the build. I mailed him a deposit to get the ball rolling. Throughout that 4 week period I called and emailed Morris a couple dozen times(sorry Morris!) but he answered every single one of my calls and responded to every email, all in a very timely fashion. He worked with me on making adjustments to his rack system, which I might add is INCREDIBLY versatile, with tons of adjustability. He designed the fenders in order to fit my 35's better, and did some custom bedlining on multiple parts of the trailer where I expected more wear and tear(this was an option, but a very reasonably priced one).

Morris finished the trailer right on time, and I took off for Alabama. I got to Morris's on a hot Alabama Friday afternoon. I must say that when first seeing the trailer I was extremely impressed by Morris's attention to detail, and in how well built his product really is. Pictures on his site don't do his trailers justice in my opinion:) They are solid. Morris went over every detail of his trailer, showing how flexible everything is with his design. I really like the way the top of the trailer has the split and folds out into tables. This is extremely useful.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Well built, solid, excellent price point, flexible design, and one incredibly nice person to deal with. I think Morris's trailers probably hit the biggest segment of customer in the trailer market-they just aren't aware of him. If you're thinking of going with a Morris Mule trailer you will not regret it.

I plan on getting out this weekend and will take some more detailed pics.

**For some reason I'm having trouble uploading some pics, but here's a couple for now.
**Darn those sideways pics!

Looking forward to being a part of the community here!MM2.jpgMM3.jpg

sabjku

Observer
sabjku
Are you offing your Tepui off the back?

I am....I wanted to be able and lower the tailgate to enter the trailer and to be able to use it as a cook table, all from inside the annex. I couldn't have done that with the ladder on the side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles