Fear of the highlift?

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I'd just winch.... :Wow1:

But you can't split logs with a winch! So I have been proven wrong there is something that a Hi Lift can do that a winch/bottle jack can not.

dumprat

Adventurer
I think I would just use a maul or an axe, but those are dangerous and scary too...

I am jealous of the sweet Bridgeport in the background in that pic though...

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Since when did we all turn into ninnies and be deathly afraid of the highlift jack? They are a staple in industry and off road and since the advent of the internet everybody is afraid of them.

Or is it just a sales pitch for all the goofy crap they sell to try and replace it? Blow up doll exhaust jacks and stuff?

Who's afraid?
There are simply much more packable (very important if camping off road; I will avoid the over lander/expedition debate) and useful options.
Having been through it, and seen many others grow from noob to experienced wheeler/offroad camper; Hi lifts have simply not been all that useful or used by me. (Sounding like a broken record; mine lives n the garage after being carried for years without need).
In order of usefulness;
Frame mounted tow points front and rear.
snatch strap (quicker easier than the winch)
Winch with accessories (for a longer reach or complex rigging)
hydraulic jack (for changing tires)...
onboard welder (for gluing together metal failure, mostly on others' vehicles)

I realize that the marginally equipped with out lockers and with all terrain tires often have a hard time and for folks just starting out Hi-lifts seem like an off road badge but I think I last saw one in use like 15 years ago. When they saw my winch the people working at getting their street SUV unstuck started jumping up and down and waving their arms (used the snatch strap for a quickie recovery).

My standard advise; if a recovery device is needed (especially if needed regularly) upgrades in equipment or driving technique should be strongly considered...

Enjoy!

CoolMooseMan

Samurai Investor
A lot of anger here! Can't we all just get along! :Wow1:

I carry a Hi-Lift, I also have steel bumpers and rock sliders all around that I can use it on. It sits on my tire carrier on the back and is there if I ever need it without getting in the way.

I see this all too often on forums and within groups. There are a lot of opinions. Which leads to arguing. Which leads to unpleasant threads.

I am all about trying things out, going exploring, using the gear you bring, and figuring out for yourself what works best for yourself! :ylsmoke:

I have used a handful of times, not many, but when I need it I want it there.

Just my two cents! :clapping:

unkamonkey

Explorer
Yes, be nice.
I have had and used one for around 40 years. The handle on mine is always in the up position as it is much easier to get around it when you are placing jack stands under your Jeep or what ever it is. I have never lubricated mine and it works fine. My neighbor has 3 and every time he wants to use one he has to clean up the mechanism because of the dirt that has stuck to it since he sprays the crap out of it with some thing.
Like a guy that I used to work for said, "You have to be smarter than the tool you are using".

sargeek

Adventurer
Too each their own. If you like the jack carry and use it. If you don't like the jack then don't carry or use one. Its just a tool. I prefer to travel with groups that have diversity in the equipment and tools they carry, that way the group is usually prepared for anything an everything.

Anak

Stranger
Gee...

I guess I better go back and warn the next generation that they can't do what they think they can do...

IMG_0349-la.jpg

Which smiley is the sarcasm smiley around here?

:rolleyes:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
You boast about using it and "surviving", yet the photo you post shows you using it in as dangerous of a way as possible.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
You are correct - you're free to make yourself look foolish and uneducated on your own terms. I'm free to call you out on it.

Always put the handle in the upright position when not lifting or lowering a load! This is a very real safety issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier