Pics of your VAN! Post up!

Abitibi

Explorer
Not mine but big fan of those. This one had Alaska plate on it.
Photo taken on Mt Rose Hwy (NV 431) which connects Reno with North Lake Tahoe.
7d92b7279f24ef1db6f2cc168f51cf8f.jpg

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

4wheeldrivevan

Observer
"Why did the Chev sell so low? No interest? Was it a local auction or online? I'm looking for my next build. I prefer a van based minibus, but I'll take cheap and reliable."

I purchased it on an online auction. I had been watching it and a few others for months, I bid on a number of them and never won, this one I bid on and I guess no one else was up that late.... It needs new rear view mirrors, a new front windshield and a new transmission.
I'm a cheapskate and will be rebuilding the transmission myself for about $200, The mirrors were $60 on ebay and I have a local place that will do the windshield for about $175. So for less than $1500 I'll have a running AWD V8 van to use as a starting point. Then I plan on throwing about $2000 in wheels and tires at it, $600 in lifting it 2 to 3 inches, another $1000 in bumpers, safari rack and ladders (built myself from aluminum, $500 in AV equipment and I already have some good sized solar panels left over from other projects. So for less than $6000 and a lot of sweat I should have a pretty nice road trip worthy vehicle.

ben2go

Adventurer
"Why did the Chev sell so low? No interest? Was it a local auction or online? I'm looking for my next build. I prefer a van based minibus, but I'll take cheap and reliable."

I purchased it on an online auction. I had been watching it and a few others for months, I bid on a number of them and never won, this one I bid on and I guess no one else was up that late.... It needs new rear view mirrors, a new front windshield and a new transmission.
I'm a cheapskate and will be rebuilding the transmission myself for about $200, The mirrors were $60 on ebay and I have a local place that will do the windshield for about $175. So for less than $1500 I'll have a running AWD V8 van to use as a starting point. Then I plan on throwing about $2000 in wheels and tires at it, $600 in lifting it 2 to 3 inches, another $1000 in bumpers, safari rack and ladders (built myself from aluminum, $500 in AV equipment and I already have some good sized solar panels left over from other projects. So for less than $6000 and a lot of sweat I should have a pretty nice road trip worthy vehicle.

That's a real good plan.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Well it's not a van but you know....
8wcfao.jpg

Recently picked up this 2011 e350 cutaway from Arrow Manufacturing in Iowa. Former ambulance obviously.
It's a v10, 5 speed auto, power cab (cruise, locks, Windows), dual alternators, 40 gallon rear tank, and for small extra fee a 8" fiberglass cab back. 200k miles....
Planning to build a habitation box within the next year or two but for now it will have to work for my business so I'm looking to buy or build a flatbed for it in the meantime. It will likely get a 4x conversion and a paint job as well.

ben2go

Adventurer
Well it's not a van but you know....
8wcfao.jpg

Recently picked up this 2011 e350 cutaway from Arrow Manufacturing in Iowa. Former ambulance obviously.
It's a v10, 5 speed auto, power cab (cruise, locks, Windows), dual alternators, 40 gallon rear tank, and for small extra fee a 8" fiberglass cab back. 200k miles....
Planning to build a habitation box within the next year or two but for now it will have to work for my business so I'm looking to buy or build a flatbed for it in the meantime. It will likely get a 4x conversion and a paint job as well.

For a few years now, I have wated to buy a cutaway, put the deep fiberglass cab back on it, and install a duallie long bed. I think they would make awesome pick up as well as a great RV conversion.

4wheeldrivevan

Observer
Nice looking cutaway, I look forward to following the project.

As far as which auction sites to follow....

I was extremely impressed with www.copart.com , beware the additional fees, but you can find incredible deals which make the couple hundred dollars in fees insignificant. I look for deals where the car runs and drives and can be sold to the general public (many of the cars can only be sold to dealers). there are seriously over 100,000 vehicles to choose from.

Like any website where you are asked to put some money up out-front I was initially skeptical but this deal certainly paid off.

They also don't let you drive the car off the lot (even if it runs), you have to have it hauled. This is because title paerwork can take a few weeks to be processed. Luckily I had a friend with a diesel truck and trailer who was willing to take an afternoon off to help me. We drove 4 hours there and 4 and a half back. (Long Island New York).

Copart.com is a humongous liquidator of vehicles, they have auction sites in most US states as well as internationally. When I pulled up to pick up my van I was amazed to see most buyers hauling off six to eight vehicles at a time. If you run a used car lot or sell auto parts, this is a great place to stock up on inventory. Everything from classic cars and exotics to work trucks and trailers.

express-pick-up-2018.jpg

Last edited:

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
I am a dealer and believe me you need to be extremely careful with copart, they can be and are very deceptive, leave out a lot of very important details, "creative" photo taking etc. Inspect in person if you can, out west where I live there are some deals with them but there are also many that we call "the gift that keeps on giving"...

4wheeldrivevan

Observer
I was aware of the chance I was taking with Copart. For $950 I was happy I got a solid rust free AWD chassis. I got lucky and the interior was in great condition and I also got a motor that purrs like a kitten (so -far). I was pretty sure the transmission was shot before the purchase and sure enough, there was enough transmission to drive it around the block a few times but not enough for a road trip. used 5.3 engines and 4L60E transmissions are a dime a dozen and pretty easy to find for peanuts.

All in all I was very happy with my co-part experience but I can certainly see that if you were expecting something incredible you could easily loose your shirt, I expected the worst from the get-go, so I was nothing but smiles from ear to ear at how lucky I got for the money I spent. I would not hesitate to buy from them again, but again, I'd expect the worst and not spend a penny more than the vehicle was worth as a parts car. I may buy another one for a turtle top and leather seats as really decked out ones come on the market often with bad front end or rear end damage. I don't care if something like that runs or drives, I'd only want it for the parts.

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
Another Van Find

My partner was online buying parts cars in NM for his salvage yard when he came across this gem. 2005 AWD Express van, 174K miles, 5.3 V8, turtle top, roof rack, double side doors, some sort of camper van build out inside, lightly wrecked front clip and rear door. I get a text that says "just bought you a new AWD camper van project, you owe me one" and boy do I ever. Ill have it trucked up here next week, cant wait to see it in person.
AWDT1.jpgAWDT2.jpg
AWDT3.jpgAWDT4.jpg
AWDT5.jpgAWDT6.jpg

Kannman

Clubwagon XL build

I've been creeping around here a little while and...Well looks like i'm joining you crazy van people. Picked this up real cheap. Gonna throw an interior in it this year, an LS swap and front axle maybe next year.

Attachments

• E350.jpg
    E350.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 105

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles