Kiteboard / 4x4 (Sydney, NSW)

robfl

Hi guys,

I am new on this forum and I am looking to meet up with guys that enjoy kiteboarding and 4x4 adventures. I just moved to Sydney 4 weeks ago from the US to do a semester at Uni. I want to take a 4x4 trip to go kite some interesting spots. I do not have a vehicle but could hire a 4x4 or pay for petrol. Let me know if there are any adventurers interested!

Cheers

Robert

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Robert

what a great experience! you shouldn't have any issue meeting people...there are actually quite a few active members on this forum residing in Sydney right now

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi guys,

I am new on this forum and I am looking to meet up with guys that enjoy kiteboarding and 4x4 adventures. I just moved to Sydney 4 weeks ago from the US to do a semester at Uni. I want to take a 4x4 trip to go kite some interesting spots. I do not have a vehicle but could hire a 4x4 or pay for petrol. Let me know if there are any adventurers interested!

Cheers

Robert

Hi Robert,

Let me know if you get up our way ....... Noosa River Mouth is a real kiteboarding hot spot. Best when its Nor'West to Nor'East....September / November. I used to sailboard alot way back when so know all about chasing breeze and waves. Lake Cootharabah isn't too bad either on a big mid-winter Westerly if you are into speed ... usually around July / August. Plenty of action on the open beaches here all year round though with biggest swells in the cyclone season (late summer/ early autumn) right up until May or June if your lucky....... and hey, the water's always warmer over the border!!

Plenty of good 4wding and beach camping around here too. Actually the whole coast between you and here is a surf mecca . Take some time to see as much as you can.

Some links for ya>>>>

http://www.noosakitesurfing.com/

http://www.kitesurfaustralia.com.au/ these guys have a good shop just near home.

http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/surf/australia/noosa-river-mouth and check out the surfcam on the rivermouth.

BTW if you want to watch a live surfcam anywhere in Australia (well in the major spots) you will find them on www.coastalwatch.com.au . The Noosa River Mouth is called "NOOSA BAR"

Have a great time while you are in Oz and welcome to ExPo.

Regards John.

Last edited:

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
Hi Robert,

Welcome to Sydney. On a day like today you could probably kite surf clear to New Zealand and back. I used to do some kite surfing back in my younger days before I became old and bitter. You may have found them but the two best/main spots in Sydney are Dolls Point to the south, and Longreef on the Northern Beaches. I periodically see people doing it at other beaches such as Manly, but the life guards don't like it for safety reasons and most of the time the guys doing it look like poseurs. It is illegal to do it within the harbour (Port Jackson) and at Dolls Point make sure someone explains the rules about the exclusion zone around the international airport, the jumbos aren't fans of kites. If you head up the coast a bit to The Entrance there is some great estuary/lake and oceanic boarding to be done, and south of Wollongong as well.

Certainly head up north and say Howdy to John's neck of the woods, and take a couple of weeks to get there if you can. Also around Perth is supposedly pretty great.
I avoid the water and headlands between Melbourne and Adelaide myself, too many big bad bitey things in the water...
shark-attack.gif

Humphrey

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Beautiful Oz!

What a beautiful country! I was there for four months beginning in June,1979 on a surf trip hosted by an Aussie couple I met here in San Diego. You're in for a great experience. Worst hangovers of my life sitting down with six mates buy shouts for each other.:sombrero:

NSW and Queensland are so pretty and green! Dialing in U-Tubes of Scott'sHead,Byron Bay,Crescent Head, Lennox etc. reveal the inevitable growth but immense beauty regardless of "progress".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier