The Bohemivan ('98 Roadtrek, lifted Chevy 3500 2WD)

Wow... it's like we're sharing a brain! We are planning an almost identical build. Last week I flew to Nebraska from Michigan to snatch up a 1999 Leisure travel vans freedom wide body with only 53,000 miles on it! We're seriously planning the same mods as you so I'm very excited to follow your build!

Cheers!
c43c7cc3b7bdf46f68458ba7a5cf3e6d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Awesome! But I strongly recommend reviewing your suspension options (if you want to do suspension mods) for the Dodge... They are VERY limited. I almost bought a Dodge Ram Pleasure-Way and backed out because there was only one option: coil spacers.

I still look forward to seeing your progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Stereo and safety

Only a few days left to our trip to Newfoundland!

But before we left, a few issues needed to be addressed.

First off, I found that the driver side speaker was making a really annoying rattle which was completely unacceptable for roadtrips. So I took it to the stereo shop.
uc

No wonder I was hearing a rattle! The tweeter on the driver's side was loose and the one on the left was missing! So new speakers went in.
uc

I also had the shop add a bit of sound deadening mat to the doors (sorry, no pic, they closed it up too quickly)

Now, with good speakers I can listen to my music. But there's one problem... A couple of years ago, before dowsizing to a condo, I put all my CDs on a hard disk and on my phone. But I can't listen to them anymore without a form of AUX or bluetooth and this old radio has none of that. I thought about installing a Scosche FM Modulator for stealth purposes. But the installation cost vs. a new radio wasn't worth it.

With the new radio I get better sound, a detachable face plate (security factor), a remote for the back and bluetooth. Plus I get to put all my songs on a small USB key with room to spare! All that for less than $140! :punk03:

Before and after:
uc

USB key before getting loaded!
uc

I also had them install a very mechanical kill swith in the dash. It simply cuts the power to the starter. Simple and effective. I didn't want any fancy electronics in there!
uc

Finally, they installed LLumar security film in the front windows. Since it's transparent, there's no point taking a picture... But I'm sure you'll enjoy this video of the product.

buellconvert

Only a few days left to our trip to Newfoundland!

But before we left, a few issues needed to be addressed.

First off, I found that the driver side speaker was making a really annoying rattle which was completely unacceptable for roadtrips. So I took it to the stereo shop.
uc

No wonder I was hearing a rattle! The tweeter on the driver's side was loose and the one on the left was missing! So new speakers went in.
uc

I also had the shop add a bit of sound deadening mat to the doors (sorry, no pic, they closed it up too quickly)

Now, with good speakers I can listen to my music. But there's one problem... A couple of years ago, before dowsizing to a condo, I put all my CDs on a hard disk and on my phone. But I can't listen to them anymore without a form of AUX or bluetooth and this old radio has none of that. I thought about installing a Scosche FM Modulator for stealth purposes. But the installation cost vs. a new radio wasn't worth it.

With the new radio I get better sound, a detachable face plate (security factor), a remote for the back and bluetooth. Plus I get to put all my songs on a small USB key with room to spare! All that for less than $140! :punk03:

Before and after:
uc

USB key before getting loaded!
uc

I also had them install a very mechanical kill swith in the dash. It simply cuts the power to the starter. Simple and effective. I didn't want any fancy electronics in there!
uc

Finally, they installed LLumar security film in the front windows. Since it's transparent, there's no point taking a picture... But I'm sure you'll enjoy this video of the product.
wow that security film is some seriously baby duty stuff

Sent from my HTCD160LVWPP using Tapatalk

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
The real build begins!

Wow... It's been a while since I haven't posted!

Our trip to Newfoundland was awesome:
[video]https://youtu.be/J3gV9ZBP_jA[/video]

Here's my favorite picture of our whole trip:

uc

And of course in front of St-John's colorful houses:
uc

This trip was done with the objective of testing the van and making sure our list of modifications was valid. We were pretty much spot on since this is our 4th van and we know our camping style. The major thing I learned is my wife is nervous about fresh water so I will definately need a water treatment/filtration system. I'll work on that next summer.

Fast forward to December 22nd, I finally received my parts from Weldtec designs:

uc

So you can see on there the wheels, leaf springs, bumper, fox shocks, etc...

Here's a cool shot of the wheels:

uc

And the suspension components:

uc

The van will be built during the winter time at a local company called Halrai industries. They're specialized in industrial/commercial truck outfitting. They seem to do excellent work from what I've seen and they are were very professionnal with the quote process. Even though they won't be taking care of the suspension, they will be working on the roof rack, rear bumper, installation, line-x on the rocker panels, etc. Keep following...

I'm really looking forward to some real progress! :wings:

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
A little bit of progress:

Roof rack drawings are complete. I'm really happy with my choice of fabricator. He was very patient and let me go through 6 revisions to get it right. We did 6 revisions simply because we realized that fitting all I wanted on the roof (2 solar panels, surfboard and/or kayak, roadshower) was not an easy task.

So we went from this:
uc

To this:
uc

(sorry for the half english / half french descriptions)

You can see that it will only go on the back part of the raised roof (behind the three Roadtrek skylights). The two solar panels on the passenger side, the removable window screen (for theft protection during long term parking), the road shower at the back, grip span to walk across and the space for kayaks/surf boards on the driver side. I also realized the front part would be useless. I have plenty of storage underneath the bed and if ever I need to add more storage I'll just strap a box to the grip span or something.

I also found a local garage that is willing to install the Weldtec suspension lift. It should be done at the beginning of March. The garage is super enthusiastic about the project. They used to do Rock Crawlers and silly things like that but have recently moved to building overlanding rigs. They will even let me participate in the build just to get quick input during the inspection process and also to make sure I am familiar with the way this van is built.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Cool! quel garage a Montreal ca ?

PJF4X4 I was supposed to have it done by a garage specialized in heavy trucks that was recommended by my main builder but unfortunately he had no time. But it might have been a good bad luck since these guys understand overlanding.

I didn't find much feedback on these guys but so far so good. They're not the best at paperwork because the estimate took a long time but it was fair. Their work, what really matters, looks really good. They were adding a crate engine Cummins to a Ford Ranger when I passed by!

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I have been finding it hard... okay to be honest nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find people that are able to help with anything outside the box. Lots of talk but when it comes down to actually doing, even getting a quote and there is no action. I hope you found a group that will do what you want.

I got my Espar installed on the fourth try as the first three said they would but then heard nothing from them. Wanted some other work done but still waiting a couple months later for a quote as they will get right on it, frustrating it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior