Mercedes 1222A.. The beginning!

Sitec

Adventurer
Thanks. I've had a good read thru your blog. Very nice vehicle! If ever you get to this part of the world, you're welcome at our place! :)

Last edited:

Sitec

Adventurer
Little progress..

Just a quick hello and update here. No overlanding yet, but I have covered quite a few hundred kms hauling rocks and then placing them! I've worked out that somehow I have to gear the truck up, as 90/95kmh is top speed (driving by rev counter). I have sourced a set of alloys for it, including enough for 4 spares that'll end up hung of its rear. I'm looking at 13 R22.5's as they're taller, but still don't think it'll give me enough. Anyway, here's a pic of the latest antics! image.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
One became two...

I blame Gumtree! Mine needed a few bits and bobs, so I was planning a day at the wreckers, but then found an advert on Gumtree for a complete truck with blown engine.... So, a small amount of cash changed hands and I brought it home!! Meet the 'parts department'!
image.jpg

LukeH

Adventurer
Oooh!
Nice big tank.

Enormous advantage of a proper Heavy goods vehicle is that you can be self sufficient for so much longer; and big tanks enable you to go from large station to large station ensuring you draw diesel from regularly services sources with no condensation etc. Also remote places have higher prices, so your huge truck "saves you money" :-D

Sitec

Adventurer
Tank swap!

Progress made today. Thought I'd have a break from 'block works' so had a bit of a truck day. Finally managed to remove the huge roo bar, and fit a much better looking standard bumper. Also managed to fit the larger tank from the spare truck. At least a third bigger, and with no leaks, its a better job!! image.jpg

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Great bargain that spare truck, now you can choose the best bits from both :) How much fuel can you carry now Simon?

Sitec

Adventurer
300lt with the prime mover tank, but once I've repaired the old one its going to be mounted on the LHS, and that's another 180 litres, which will only be linked by a smaller hose and transfer pump. I think the twin water tanks will be behind the drive wheels.. a pair of tapered stainless tanks built to match in with the rear section of the bumper, which is going to be mounted with an integral mast carrying the spares. Press a button and it lowers to the ground. Well... That's the plan!

Joe917

Explorer
Water tanks behind the drive wheels? (I assume rear since all drive)
I would seriously consider moving the water inside the insulated vehicle envelope and watch out you don't end up with too much rear axle weight. 22.5x13 is a great tire size.
Joe.

Sitec

Adventurer
Good pickup. Yeah, had planned to hang them off the chassis behind the rear duals. I hadn't thought about trying to keep the water cool tho! Good call! Re the 13R's they're what I'd like, but it seem they are over priced and rare here too!!

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I have mine inside to keep the water from freezing if I'm out in a cold climate, if you don't plan on taking it outside of Australia, then external tanks would be fine unless you go up to the snowfields in winter.

Joe917

Explorer
Water tanks behind the drive wheels? (I assume rear since all drive)
I would seriously consider moving the water inside the insulated vehicle envelope and watch out you don't end up with too much rear axle weight. 22.5x13 is a great tire size.
Joe.

Are you going to change the rear to singles? I think that is a must. As for tires I just put on a set of Continental HDR2+. Cheaper than Michelin (which I could not get the tread pattern in the right size). Reasonably quiet tire, good in sand so far, as for wear ??

Sitec

Adventurer
Hi. Nope, I'm staying with duals. I've had this discussion a few times and have covered many kms on dirt and sand in Africa with Dragoman on 10:00 R20's and 11R 22.5's, using 4x2 and 6x4 trucks. We occasionally got bogged, but it was usually driver error. Tyre suppliers everywhere usually stock 11R22.5's up to 13R22.5's and they're between $250 and $500 each here.. The singles are $700, hard to get in the bush, and then there is the added cost of finding/getting rims. I also worked out that 6 x 22.5's each with a footprint of 315mm wide gives a bigger footprint than 4 singles at 450mm wide.. and that footprint is on the back axle where you need it. You also have the added benefit that if one rear tyre goes bang in somewhere dodgy, you can still be mobile and find somewhere safe to change it... Not an option you have on a flat single.. I have loads of spare Alcoa Alloys, so will be caring 4 spare wheels on the rear... Well, that's the plan!!!! Its a little way off yet. :)

Sitec

Adventurer
Hi all. Having read thru Pairoa's thread on his Merc 6x6 AK build thread and seen his sketches, it has got me thinking that perhaps I should draft my intended plan... So here it is! Reasonably simple I hope! A lightweight 50 x 50 RHS body frame, skinned on the outside with alli or steel, 50mm kingspan insulation pushed in between the steelwork, and then finished with 12mm marine ply or laminate. This will be mounted on three points so the chassis can do as it pleases under it without twisting the body. The spare wheels and rear bumper will be attached to the rear of the chassis, independant to the body and will have a channel/mast setup (similar to a forklift mast) using rollers and a pump. The lights, wheels and additional storage box will lower to the ground when required. The 'log basket' will be attached to the living body and remain up out of the way, as it won't often be used. I will also have simple removable 'side skirts' that match in with the rear body but hide the air tanks, batteries and fuel tanks. It won't have the clearance of a Unimog or AK, but I'm not planning to do any extreme off roading! The front roof rack will be on a pivot, so it can be lifted up out of the way when the cab has to be tipped. I hope to reproduce the 'Dragoman' type seal between the cab and body. Simple but effective. The body will still have a 'cab to living' access door which will probably be an internal slider so it can be slid into the front wall out of the way. It will also have a low point at the entrance door with the third step built in. The skirt on the left will have a pull out first and second step. That is the plan!! image.jpg

Last edited:

Sitec

Adventurer
On top of the rocks!

So, finally we are nearly there. Level 3 and the all important base level.. Couldn't have done it without the truck!! 60+ tonnes of rocks collected, shifted, and positioned. There'll be little to report for the next year or so as we get involved in house and shed building, but once done I'll get back to the truck project and keep you all posted as I go! Cheers for now.
image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz