long gun registration papers

frumpy

Explorer
I spilled some gas on mine

[video=youtube;ykfLa4N9gIc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUaLQfR7c5T-932j-dL4bKcg&feature=player_detailpage&v=ykfLa4N9gIc[/video]

That's right, Canada no longer has a firearms registry for non-restricted firearms (shotguns/rifles) :victory:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Nice. Way to go Canada!

Now if Australia and the UK could get back to reality.

breitkreuz02.gif

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
Then I must be wrong, having only been born here and lived across the country for much of my 38 years - please forgive my misunderstanding of my countrymen's thoughts and philosophy...

I'm not saying that you won't find Australians who like firearms. I am one. I like rifles and periodically think about getting (a legal, registered, controlled) one again when I move out of the city next. I'm a pretty good shot, or was before I spent the last decade in front of a computer screen and my eyesight went on me. And I enjoy the challenge of shooting, the control and discipline - legacy of years in the infantry where they taught me pretty thoroughly.

What I am saying is that in that cumulative time in this country I do not know almost any Australians who are opposed to firearms restrictions, who thinks we should have US-styled unfettered access to firearms. And I know many, many Australians. They're out there, I'm sure, but I don't know very many of them at all - to the point that I cannot think of one single person whom I know personally who thinks this way. Maybe with your approach to guns you are more likely to discuss it with people who are pro-gun than anti-gun control. But me being 'the only one' during your considerable time here makes me think you haven't actually discussed it with that many of us because I'd only have to stroll down the street and I'd encounter a vast majority. Your reputation on here is that you are an honourable, stand-up guy - so I am assuming that that comment is not dishonest or deceptive, but that it is hyperbole brought on by your emotional attachment to the subject matter.

I normally ignore the gun banter on here because A) engaging in anti-gun rhetoric is one sure way to get a thread squashed and B) I don't really care what America does in its own backyard, but I really resent seeing uninformed comments about the attitude of people in other countries, hence the response. This point in particular has bugged me since I encountered an NRA member in Half Moon Bay, CA (whilst I was out shooting with a policeman friend, co-incidentally) about 15-odd years ago who tried to convince me that Australians live in fear - "little old ladies won't walk outside their front doors for fear of marauding gangs" - after the government introduced tighter control including the confiscation of semi-automatic weapons except for permit holders. It had to be right - he heard it at an NRA seminar. The fact that I was a pretty good shot, ex-army and in favour of gun control was more than he could compute, but he wouldn't concede that I could possibly be correct because it was outside the range of his view of the world.Humphrey

Cody1771

Explorer
Canada screwed up with the long gun regestry anyways, it accomplished nothing but causing the taxpayers money. whats the point of having a firearm regestered if you are still able to freely lend it out to your friends and family, or can go into a store and buy a rifle over the counter with no wait period. it was an expensive statistic generater is all.

frumpy

Explorer
Canada still requires all firearm owners to be licenced to buy and own firearms. The only difference now is we do not register them and do not have to have papers with our long guns when ever we take them out.

I was out shooting with the ex chief of police for the area a few days ago and he said it was a waste of money. Going into any house you always assume there is a firearm present regardless of what the registry says.

frumpy

Explorer
There is a wait prriod on the initial license. Also, when you buy a gun over the counter it is automativally registered through a dealer/police database. The main issue was the registry did nothing to prevent crime (liberals big arguement for it) and many firearms of hunters and farmers remained unregistered.

Canada screwed up with the long gun regestry anyways, it accomplished nothing but causing the taxpayers money. whats the point of having a firearm regestered if you are still able to freely lend it out to your friends and family, or can go into a store and buy a rifle over the counter with no wait period. it was an expensive statistic generater is all.

toymaster

Explorer
.... The fact that I was a pretty good shot, ex-army and in favour of gun control was more than he could compute, but he wouldn't concede that I could possibly be correct because it was outside the range of his view of the world.Humphrey

Narrow mindedness is not limited to conservatives. Would you mind sharing the government furnished statistics on how much this infringement upon a law-abiding citizen has reduced crime in your country?

Cody1771

Explorer
There is a wait prriod on the initial license. Also, when you buy a gun over the counter it is automativally registered through a dealer/police database. The main issue was the registry did nothing to prevent crime (liberals big arguement for it) and many firearms of hunters and farmers remained unregistered.

yes i do know that considering i have my PAL and RPAL, i was speaking of the actual buying of the gun, which you cant do without a license, most gun stores wont let you even hold a gun without it. and i agree it did nothing to prevent it, you could find unregistered guns on craigslist easy enough.

that being said i am a fan of gun control, being a handgun owner i am quite happy with the fact they are limited to the range. some people just shouldnt own a firearm and ive had run in with said people on 2 occasions.

what im not fan of is knowing my tax dollars are funding things that dont do any good.... but thats a whole other story considering the longgun registry is not the worst offender of that.

toymaster

Explorer
You may have misunderstood me, I am sorry. I meant crimes being commited against your fellow man; not a reduction in a person's right to make yet another choice. The only thing the study proved was a reduced access for the law-abiding citizen to firearms.

Anyway, copied from the report... "While the numbers are quite small, the year 2000 recorded the highest number of firearms accidents (45 accidents) during the 11 year period." The law was passed in 1996 by the way.

And the report free admits "While suchpersons can turn to alternative means (substitution), research indicates that firearms are one of the more lethal methods, and hence firearm use has a greater incidence in actual suicides than in attempted suicides (De Leo et al. 2001)."

Would you care to examine the amount of personal assaults and property theft since the removal of many guns from law-abiding citizens?

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
No, please, feel free to cherry pick isolated statistics to justify your perspective - but notice it said gun accidents were at their peak in 2000. Accidents. Your argument is meandering between 'crime' to accidents to suicide without coherence - any stat will do. So let's focus on firearm related homicide which is what I was talking about. Rebut those figures, please... Tell me how the reduction in homicides is something worthy of being upset about. In terms of "the amount of personal assaults and property theft since the removal of many guns from law-abiding citizens" have a look at this Attorney General's report. Short cut to the end:

Our analysis also shows that the number of recorded firearm offences has been declining in NSW in recent years. Over the 11-year period examined, the number of people killed with a firearm decreased by 45 per cent and the number of robberies with a firearm decreased by 33 per cent.

Note this is NSW related, but I'm done with the discussion and am not looking up any more stats. Feel free to believe whatever you choose but I stand by all my points and my original comments to Tacodoc.

Good night.

toymaster

Explorer
Note this is NSW related, but I'm done with the discussion and am not looking up any more stats. Feel free to believe whatever you choose but I stand by all my points and my original comments to Tacodoc.

Good night.

OK I'll do it for you then since you have threw up a wall of “Narrow mindedness”.

Cite: http://www.aic.gov.au/documents/B/4/2/{B425E9A3-B810-43D7-9BD7-F694830F89C2}facts10.pdf

Table 1 Victims of selected violent crimes, 1996–2009 (n)

Homicide Assault Sexual assault Robbery Kidnapping/abduction
1996 354 114,156 14,542 16,372 478
1997 364 124,500 14,353 21,305 564
1998 334 130,903 14,689 23,801 707
1999 385 134,271 14,699 22,606 766
2000 362 138,708 16,406 23,336 695
2001 347 152,283 17,577 26,591 767
2002 366 160,118 18,718 20,989 706
2003 341 157,280 18,025 19,709 696
2004 302 156,849 19,171 16,513 768
2005 301 166,507 18,695 17,176 729
2006 321 172,441 19,555 17,375 726
2007 283 176,077 19,954 17,996 733
2008 293 170,720 19,992 16,513 788
2009 293 175,277 18,807 15,238 564
Note: Number of victims presented here represents revised estimates on numbers published in earlier editions of Australian statistics

And I quote “Although susceptible to fluctuations, the number of kidnapping/abductions decreased
by 28 percent between 2008 and 2009, while there has been an overall increase of
18 percent in the number of kidnappings since 1996.”

• Assaults have been increasing at an average rate of four percent per year since
1996. There were 175,227 cases of assault in 2009, a 2.6 percent rise from 2008.

• With 293 recorded cases in 2009, homicide figures continue to be the lowest of all
violent crime categories in Australia.

• Sexual assaults have fluctuated since 2003, with a six percent decrease in the number
of recorded sexual assaults between 2008 and 2009. Overall, the number of sexual
assaults has increased by one-third since 1996.

• Robberies have continued to decrease since 2007, reducing to 15,238 in 2009
(an 8% decrease since 2008).

• In 2009, assault was the only crime to experience an increase, rising by
three percent from 2008.

• Although sexual assault has decreased since 2008, in the past 10 years it has
increased by 28 percent.

My point is crime as increased. The reason? Because a criminal has less to fear. A firearm is the great equalizer. In short, a person safety should not be based on their stature. This alone is justification for a person to own any firearm they would like, that is legally. Criminals do not care what the law says; they just care about their safety when committing a crime.

The reason we have the right to bear arms in the USA is for different reason but alas that is a different topic. You have a nice country and I'd like to visit one day in spite of the flawed logic the nation's laws current hold.

Good night.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
The results of the Australian gun buy back/ confiscation program was an dramatic increase in crime.

•Countrywide, homicides are up 3.2 percent;

•Assaults are up 8.6 percent;

•Amazingly, armed robberies have climbed nearly 45 percent;
•In the Australian state of Victoria, gun homicides have climbed
300 percent;

•In the 25 years before the gun bans, crime in Australia had been
dropping steadily;

•There has been a reported “dramatic increase” in home burglaries
and assaults on the elderly.

At the time of the ban, which followed an April 29, 1996
shooting at a Port Arthur tourist spot by lone gunman Martin Bryant, the
continent had an annual murder-by-firearm rate of about 1.8 per 100,000
persons, “a safe society by any standards,” said Tidswell. But such low
rates of crime and rare shootings did not deter then-Prime Minister John
Howard from calling for and supporting the weapons ban.

Since the ban has been in effect, membership in the Australian
Sporting Shooters Association has climbed to about 112,000 — a 200
percent increase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles