Going out Solo, Recovery options.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
The very best tool when solo 4x4ing is your head. Or more specifically, not getting in over your head.

As others have said, it pays to walk water crossings. I bring a yardstick and water shoes.

I've met a lot of people along the trail when soloing. It make sit part of the fun.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I'm 80% solo. If you build it to rock crawl but only trail ride then you won't break if you need to gas it. I use the tools and spares in my rig to work on it at the house. That way if I'm missing a tool, hardware or equipment I can add it to the rig. PLB and enough provisions to spend a night in the cold are a piece of mind. Common winch point is second rig so as said bring all of your straps and extensions along with a piece of chain and ratchet strap.

outofrshell

Adventurer
Read the the thread Movable Winch, I travel solo almost all of the time the key to it is be cautious and be prepared. Keep your truck in good condition and don't develop an attitude with repairs and mods that that is good enough. Good luck and go out and enjoy your, you only learn from experience. Dave

rgallant

Adventurer
I think everything you need to know is covered, I travel almost exclusively solo all though the Pacific Northwest (BC). I tend to travel well off the beaten path. The simplest thing and most important thing is to know when to say the road ends here.

Have a solid trip plan and leave it with someone.
If you hit pavement to fuel up etc., check in with the person holding you trip plan let them know where you are and if there are any changes.
Have a "Go Bag" with good solid walking boots, and appropriate clothing, light weight food, stove and sleeping gear. I keep 3 days worth in a box that never get used along with water.
Some form of communication other than a cell phone even an FRS radio - make sure you monitor 1 freq and it is on your trip plan.

Finally driving or walking avoid stupid risks, walk 20 feet rather than hopping over something you can not see other side of etc.

F350joe

Don't laugh at me about my electric mtn bike but it gets about 20ish miles off-road range with pedal assist, maybe 10mi full electric, and much more on the pavement. I call it my life raft but it gets used to run into town, go to trail heads, peel off a hill for a hike. Great tool for the solo off-roader. I always pick easier and familiar terrain when going out alone but after reading through this I realized I could be using the bike to scout ahead as well.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
It's pricey but this little gadget REALLY helped my piece of mind when going out solo. I still like to prepare for all eventualities but they change from "Life or death moments" to "Fun adventures!" when you have a get-out-of-danger button you can push if things get really bad.

DeLorme inReach
http://amzn.to/2kVvCGD

Umtaneum

Adventurer
I've always gone solo a lot here in the PNW. You would be surprised what you can use as a winch anchoring point. I've winched out of snow and mud using really big boulders, sage bushes, and buried survey markers. I used to carry a big Danforth anchor in my old jeep, but I only ever used it once and I probably would have been better off looping a tree saver around a half dozen sage bushes. That anchor was a nightmare to get back out of the muck when the truck finally got unstuck. I don't wheel in the sand very much, so I don't have a real feel for the specialized challenges you might face in the SW. I would bet a well maintained truck, a cell phone and a gps, and a winch will get you through the vast majority of situations (coupled with the most important tool, your brain, of course). Tree saver, a 20' chain, shovel, some shackles, and a hilift jack would be my next additions. Up here an axe or a pulaski are a good idea as well. Don't be afraid to turn around and go back if it gets too hairy. That's where I see the most people get in trouble, they set out to go somewhere and they think they are too far in to turn back now.

robert

Expedition Leader
I'd add to keep some emergency gear in your cab with you in case you slide off the road and get stuck in the vehicle for some reason, especially during the winter. For example, during winter solo travel I keep an extra wool blanket and sleeping bag in the cab along with wool gloves, hat and extra socks (the wool clothes stay in the truck year round in a small nylon stuff sack, tucked into one of my seatback pockets. I also keep water and snacks and I have a LED strobe with a magnetic mount that I can reach out the window and stick on the roof.

Road flares aren't just for signaling; always have several ways to start a fire and a flare is one of the easiest, even with wet cold hands. I keep half a dozen of them in the truck in addition to the two smaller fire starter types in my pack. http://www.orionsignals.com/product-groups/fire-starters/product/97.html

Another item I carry is an orange "distress flag" rolled up and tucked in my emergency kit that can be placed on the roof of the truck with magnets or tape or tied to a pole.

whitenoise

Adventurer
You got some great advice on equipment etc in the preceding posts. Without trying to sound repetitive, argumentative or stating the obvious, my two cents:

1) Carry at least 5 liters of water per day per person, plus 25%. Carry enough food for 2 full days, freeze dried or otherwise, and all equipment needed to prepare/eat.

2) Calculate your fuel range in offroad conditions, always know beforehand where your fuel stops are, and have at least a 50 mile reserve.

3) Always know your location and have the ability to communicate that to SAR. Get an Inreach Explorer. It is THE most cost effective emergency communication device out there, anything else is either too expensive without added useful functionality (satphone), too basic (spot/EPIRB), or too unreliable/relies on others (HAM radio).

5) Drive defensively - Just as onroad, this phrase has its own definition in a solo remote expedition context. In desert driving, from my own experience, it means a few things:

- Never drive off into sand without first airing down, preferably to the lowest pressure prudent for the conditions/your vehicle. As you may be aware, the consistency of sand can change very, very quickly. Also, AT tires actually are less good on soft sand than normal HT tires, but may be more durable on harder ground.​

- Never stop on soft sand unless you are pointing downhill.​

- If you're unsure about what's on the other side of a dune, circle back to the nearest downhill spot, stop and recce on foot.​

- In general, going around is better than going over.​

- Turn off all electronic nannies (traction control etc.) the second you leave pavement. If you're stuck, the better strategy is to always stop gassing it, and using the sand ladders BEFORE you get stuck deeper.​

- A pair of sand ladders (maxtrax/TRED or similar), an air compressor w/gauge, jack support board, bottle jack, tow rope with shackles, and a good shovel are MINIMUM recovery equipment. Gloves and safety glasses are also a minimum.​

Last edited:

The_3_bears

Looked at pull-pal, then choked on the price. I did something cheaper, more secure and works. Used just after Christmas for the first time in the mud. I got four 36" tent stakes (the kind for party tents) two three hole stake bar. 12" of chain with shackles on both ends. Tent stake hammer. Drive two stakes on the end holes about 45 degrees from your pull, drop the other 2 90 degrees from that so that they are in a v facing your vehicle. Connect the winch and I was out. I paid $72.00 in parts and no worries of welding breaks, low pull point, and very versatile.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Looked at pull-pal, then choked on the price.
I kept my eye on Craigslist until I found the Pull-Pals I wanted. Got lucky and found them cheap. Seems like some guys buy them because they are cool, then never use them.

LoneStarRam

Another item I carry is an orange "distress flag" rolled up and tucked in my emergency kit that can be placed on the roof of the truck with magnets or tape or tied to a pole.

Is this similar to the military 'marker panels' placed on the hodds, cabs or tops of vehicles to identify friendlies to an FO/FAC?

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
The OP question is solo recovery not communications or survival.

What is your vehicle of travel and its traction set up?

Im in the SW and travel to very remote area for several days at time in my 7000#Land Cruiser. I worry very little about getting stuck and never have been for years. I do have a very capable vehicle locked F&R, air down any time I hit dirt and dont do stupid things. I would think with a proper set up vehicle your only worry be mud. In the SW if you find bad mud like Utah when its raining there seems to be winch points or you just wait a hour or so until the ground absorbs it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles