Fear of the highlift?

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
metal clip spring

i can't remember what its called, but there is a rubber piece you can slide down that will grab the handle so it won't auto-ratchet, it will just swing up and stop
Sorry, no, I don't know why I wrote rubber. It's the little metal spring clip thing, it will grab and hold it. It comes on the hi-lift brand lifts, I think they have a patent
  • It is a clip spring; Hi-Lift lists it for $3.31
  • clip spring.jpg

keane

Observer
I use one of the red rubber holders for transport and for locking the handle in the up position when lifting with it. I personal don't go into the back country with out one. It is a tool, and like any tool it need to used correctly and kept in proper working condition. If it is not then it is dangerous. And yes I use it, got my f-350 out of a deactivation last fall.

Lucky j

Explorer
I have read in some previous post that a highlift handle can be dangerous cause it could it you in the face cause the handle could slip from youre hand.

Fisrt, comon sense, know how and experience says that you head should never be above the handle or in between the handle and the highlft core. Seconde, would should be concentrated enough on what you are doing so you do not let go the handle no mater what. If you to not have the concentration requiered, i strongly suggest that you do not use any means of lifthing for youre vehicule.

And like I have said before, I just love the darn thing and it belong in my jeep, cause it get used around the jeep and for the jeep a lot. Now, yes, like a chain saw or a kitchen knife, it is a dangerous tool.

I know some people who keeps dull knifes on purpose, cause they do not have the concentration or dexterity to use sharp knives. This is just above me. Still can not figure this one out.

TheGetLostTaco

We go places
Winch to what? There was nothing within range. And an early bronco doesn't have enough weight to pull out a full size.

High lift wins.

And where do you wheel in New England? The state is tiny and has more people than my entire country?

There is always a winch point. Digging a hole using a buried spare time or some logs, etc.... a lot of people really care about weight too. Even though I agree that the hi lift jack is a great tool; it does weigh a lot (who would thought, right, steel! Lol) I think if you don't care about weight or you are just going out wheeling for the day with some friends then it makes sense to have one.

Cheers

www.getlostoverlanding.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MOguy

Explorer
There is always a winch point. Digging a hole using a buried spare time or some logs, etc.... a lot of people really care about weight too. Even though I agree that the hi lift jack is a great tool; it does weigh a lot (who would thought, right, steel! Lol) I think if you don't care about weight or you are just going out wheeling for the day with some friends then it makes sense to have one.

Cheers

www.getlostoverlanding.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not at all true. Where I live it is so rocky. Even with an auger attached to a tractor we had issues setting corner post for my fencing. Setting T posts deep enough was a problem. Often in mud or sand the hole will fill in too fast to allow you to dig an anchor point. Digging in an anchor isn't going to always work. Of course with enough work, a pick, a shovel a T post and picket pounder and enough will there could be a way, but a hi lift is so much easier. If space and weight is a concern a high lift takes up less space then a big *** shovel and a pick, T post and picket pounder.

P.S. I like the slogan on your web page.

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Thanks, yeah this.

This clip will prevent it from auto ratcheting

Sent from my P00A using Tapatalk

Well, no. Having the handle in the upright position prevents it from auto ratcheting. The clip can help hold the handle upright.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
Well, no. Having the handle in the upright position prevents it from auto ratcheting. The clip can help hold the handle upright.

no, we did it in hi-lift training, the handle swings up and the spring absorbs enough energy that it doesn't auto-ratchet. we literally did it back to back with and without the spring, it doesn't auto ratchet with the spring.

and yes, you leave the handle up... the spring is there as an extra safety measure not as a primary means to replace proper form

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
That little clip is the first thing to get damaged on a high lift.

Never would I rely on it as a safety....

donaldcon

Adventurer
I have carried the same unlubed high lift for 16 years. Never been killed killed or even injured. It is mounted inside my rig out of the weather and still looks new.
I have the handle pin removed so the handle is never a danger.

I've winched with it before I had an electric winch, I'm use it to secure a broken axle and drive home on it, it has bee used as a replacement Trac bar, and drag link,, I've used it as the jaws of life to pull the roof back out on a rolled vehicle, and to roll the dash back up away from the seat so the truck could be driven out to a main road, and of course I've used it to change tires, as well as in the garge My jack will always be with me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Kiriesh

Adventurer
Yikes there's an awful lot of saltiness here. I bought mine when I lifted my jeep and my standard bottle jack no longer reached. Knock on wood I haven't had a flat but its cheap insurance and it tucks away behind my rear seats in my JKU. I don't even remember having it 90% of the time. Bottle jacks are far nicer for changing tires if you can get them underneath. Mine paid for itself the day I had to help my buddy get unstuck on a tight trail in a deep rut when he rubbed against a root of a tree and popped the bead on his tire. We ended up dragging him a solid 30 feet before we could even fit the hi-lift under to swap out the tire. Are they dangerous? Sure, but so is the steel winch cables... and the roll-over potential offroading... and the list goes on and on. Just like everything else in life, be aware of the risks and act accordingly. Now don't get me started on the guys who leave theirs bolted on hoods or bumpers with no coverage and the damn things look like they're about to rust away to nothing...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles