Anyone *purposely* lock themselves inside their camper shell?

FAW3

Adventurer
Clip pin for locking a cap from inside...

I got around last weekend to going ahead and doing a simple latch lock for my truck cap...simple, low cost and would likely work on many types or at least give folks an idea:

I used a clip pin (tied a lanyard on it so it doesn't get dropped/lost as easy)...this whole thing is a peice of mind type of thing for my wife and kids when they sleep in the cap area. I had this one as a spare...cost about 25 cents. Drill a small hole in latch location so that the pin when inserted blocks the locking arms from withdrawing. The hole goes thru the outer plate and then into the aluminum frame - but not thru the outer casing. Easy to rig, use and works fine.

Tailgate door pin.jpg

Hope this helps someone!

Last edited:

jronwood

Adventurer
You bet I lock myself in,....and sometimes when in Gotham City making deliveries I even put Grandpa's Swedish splitting axe, and a high quality WW2 machete on the dash (I am in the fron or back seat) at least they know I might get something severed before they do me in. When on the road for deliveries Daddy sleeps in Hotel' De Ford as we call it.

Jronwood

The_Driver

Never locked my rear window, sign says "Protected by Smith & Wesson" my .45 will attest for that :)
Sure. Let's take a .45 across international borders, lets see how Mexican or Guatemalan Customs like that!
I got around last weekend to going ahead and doing a simple latch lock for my truck cap...simple, low cost and would likely work on many types or at least give folks an idea:

I used a clip pin (tied a lanyard on it so it doesn't get dropped/lost as easy)...this whole thing is a piece of mind type of thing for my wife and kids when they sleep in the cap area. I had this one as a spare...cost about 25 cents. Drill a small hole in latch location so that the pin when inserted blocks the locking arms from withdrawing. The hole goes thru the outer plate and then into the aluminum frame - but not thru the outer casing. Easy to rig, use and works fine.

View attachment 90311

Hope this helps someone!

Genious, thanks!

gwittman

Adventurer
There are so many types of truck cap window/door latches out there it's hard to answer...but I've used a small vice-grip type plyer to clamp the locking bar in place when sleeping in my truck cap.
I have used the vise grip technique on the rare occasion I feel the need. Most of the time it stays unlocked when I am inside though.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Im gonna try to explain this the best I can. I have a push button that can lock from the outside. When you push it in to open the shell, it moves two rods on the left and the right that go all the way to the end of the shell and unlocks the latches at the same time. Following me?

I simply modified the latches to accommodate a small pin to be slid in/out which either engages or disengages the latch. From the outside you can push the button and nothing happens. But from the inside you can either manually open it or put the pins back in and then open it.

I'll see if I have pics.

One time I forgot to put the pins back in, manually opened it from the inside and then shut it when it started to rain. Needless to say I couldn't get back in.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
My new in January of 2017 Leer has the single latch in the center of the door. It has a lever inside that has a glow in the dark coating just like a trunk latch. I can lock it and then use that lever to get out. Things are definitely progressing and if you are sleeping in your shell, it's a good reason to get one with the center latch rather than the two at each end.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
For at least 20 years, SnugTop has had a feature on their center-lock rear doors that allows one to lock and unlock from the inside. It's a red button built into the center of the inside of the latch, just push it and turn the latch to open. I have these on three trucks and they work fine. You may be able to adapt one to your shell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94