Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Do the Rotopax mounts work with the Rubican water pack?

No. But a Rubican mount is included with each Rubican, it's not an extra cost item like with the Rotopax. The Rubican mount can bolt to the same holes a Rotopax mount bolts to (it's got two mounting holes, which match up with two of the four Rotopax mounting holes)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I need something like that for across the hood hinges. To serve as a step for my rtt

The idea is to step up over the cowl to enter your RTT from the front? I'm not aware of anything like that on the market, but I'm sure something could be engineered. I could imagine steps that mount the same way that the side-mount jerry can carrier mounts, they could continue up and over the cowl and be secured to the same places the hinges mount to the body. There wouldn't be much clearance in the center for the wipers and for the hood top open, but I'm sure something could be figured out.

Here's a quick sketch, something like this do what you have in mind?

CowlSteps_zpsmei6vwvs.jpg

@Jeff just wondering if the fold down window in the image above.. can these hinges be reinforced as to allow an average size person to stand on these or would this be a redundant suggestion. Not saying one would need to climb that far up the side, but who knows. Think I'm just interested in the hinges being reinforced.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
@Jeff just wondering if the fold down window in the image above.. can these hinges be reinforced as to allow an average size person to stand on these or would this be a redundant suggestion. Not saying one would need to climb that far up the side, but who knows. Think I'm just interested in the hinges being reinforced.

When installed to swing down, the cargo door is intended to serve as a table. It's designed to use an affordable rv-style cargo hatch, which isn't intended to support heavy loads, but use as a table would be fine. It is possible to design a table/hinges strong enough to support the weight of a person, but I can't imagine that would be a common need.

CargoHatchTable_zpsfdyogglb.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
When installed to swing down, the cargo door is intended to serve as a table. It's designed to use an affordable rv-style cargo hatch, which isn't intended to support heavy loads, but use as a table would be fine. It is possible to design a table/hinges strong enough to support the weight of a person, but I can't imagine that would be a common need.

CargoHatchTable_zpsfdyogglb.jpg

Would be cool to see if this Lock Cylinder could be used for your hatch.
https://www.boltlock.com/shop/chryslerjeep-locks/692916/

jscherb

Expedition Leader
They'll be on the market very soon. About a month ago I received a set of pre-production mounting brackets to test, I posted about them here: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...for-JK-factory-hardtops?p=2290556#post2290556. I asked for a few minor tweaks before I would ok them for production, and I'm expecting the final versions any day now. As soon as I verify them I'll turn everything over to the company and they can get the LEDs and the brackets on the market.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Did anyone ever pick up the barn door for production?

I don't think there would be enough demand for them to make it worth the trouble for me to find a company to manufacture and market them, so I haven't tried to find a company to bring it market.

I did post a question a while back asking if people would be interested in a DIY-finish kit which would include the fiberglass parts but leave the finishing and mounting up to the buyer but almost nobody was interested in that idea.

I kept the molds so if anything changes more can be made or they can go into production if a company thinks there's a market for them.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I don't think there would be enough demand for them to make it worth the trouble for me to find a company to manufacture and market them, so I haven't tried to find a company to bring it market.

I did post a question a while back asking if people would be interested in a DIY-finish kit which would include the fiberglass parts but leave the finishing and mounting up to the buyer but almost nobody was interested in that idea.

I kept the molds so if anything changes more can be made or they can go into production if a company thinks there's a market for them.

Maybe Ursa Minor would be interested? It would go perfect with their J30 pop-up camper top.
http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/campers/jeep-camper/jeep-hard-top-popup-camper-package.html

jscherb

Expedition Leader

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles