03 4Runner pre purchase review

graniterover

Observer
Any comments on this vehicle would be appreciated. Its primary use would be daily family vehicle and weekend camping and road trips. Not much off road use, but a few dirt roads etc.

Could it tow a 5k lbs trailer with my other truck on it? (not super important, but would be great if it could)

We would hope it would last 4-5 years at 20k miles per year, then just serve as a 3-4-5 vehicle for beating around in.

It has a V8 and it says locking diff, but I wasn't sure that was offered in this truck?

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;jsessionid=FwaJdBTPyEBxmD7NrqR1vc6?tab=summary&paId=275878172&recnum=91&actLog=true&tracktype=usedcc&pageNumber=1&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-|E-|M-_47_|D-_422_|N-N|R-50|I-1%2c7|P-PRICE+descending|Q-descending|Z-03049&aff=boston

Thanks,

Mark

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Mark,
I just had a sec so I didn't look at the link, but here is what I can think of.
the locking diff is the center diff. The front and rear are open diff's. It does have a computer that will apply brakes to a spinning wheel. Since its an 03 its a newer version of whats on my 01 4runner. So it works better.
Keep in mind an 03 is the first year of a new generation truck. Although, its a first year of a new TOYOTA so its not that big of a deal. Solid truck. Should tow well, but the rear suspension is mush. Think about airbags to beef of the towing feel.

Check out www.toyota120.com forums for more info than you'll ever need. Great truck, I love that v8 in there. Very smooth and its been around a long time so its proven.

Enjoy!!!

spikemd

Explorer
I have had my 03 4Runner for about 2 years. I can't say enough good things about the truck. Its comfortable, drives well on the street and does well as a stock vehicle offroad, and I love the V8. It actually gets great gas mileage if you don't have a heavy foot.

I have heard the rear suspension may need supplemental airbags similar to the Land Cruisers for any heavy towing, but with a weight distributing hitch, it can tow 7500 lbs.

I prefer the 03-05's with the straight fenders over the wheels...personal preference.

As far as engine, the V8 has been in the Land Cruiser for ages and is bullet-proof. I have 120k on mine and all I've done is change the timing belt and water pump at the specified intervals.

Also, the V8 came with all-wheel-drive whereas the V6 requires you to shift into 4wheel drive if you needed it. For overall safety, I prefer AWD.

That being said, the front brakes can give you trouble. I had to replace both front calipers due to frozen pistons, but my runner came from the rust belt.

You will love it.

:Wow1:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I have a 2005 (V6) with 76K miles

ZERO issues with the brakes. Had the fronts serviced around 55K at the dealer. The rears are still original.

Nothing else has gone wrong. I offroad a lot as well as use it for a daily driver and long family trips.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
spikemd said:
I...
Also, the V8 came with all-wheel-drive whereas the V6 requires you to shift into 4wheel drive if you needed it. For overall safety, I prefer AWD...

Just to clarify, when you switch to 4Hi in a V6, it is in AWD mode, which means you can run it on dry pavement (open center diff). Nothing different from the fulltime 4WD in the V8's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998