05+ Tacoma problem / positive areas anyone?

MGRS

I have an '08 6spd and love it so far- with a few caveats.

Windshield may be weak. I cracked mine with a small something-or-other going 15mph.

Paint chips easily. I have a couple on my hood, never tailgate, and the truck is one month old.

Shifting is rough from 1-3, like you can feel the syncs grating. It might wear in.

Factory rear leaf pack was terrible. TSB leaf pack has been better so far, but truck has not seen a load since it was installed

Seat fabric (TRD buckets) is weak. I wore some shorts with velcro rear pockets. The 'hook' part frayed the seat fabric:mad:

Interior plastic scratches easily.

Ground clearance on the front is a bit low.

Wish it had manual windows and a manual t-case...

Over all, a great value for me. I like how is larger than my old ranger in terms of comfort and hauling stuff/people.

I'm not sure what some folks are doing to get the mileage they are posting. It could be regional blends? I am averaging 16.5-17.5 in town, 18 mixed, and up to 19-21.5 loaded on the highway. I expect I could do better testing again after broken-in and without 450 lbs of crap in the truck.

CLynn85

Explorer
I've got 55k on the clock on my 2007 TRD. I love the truck, it's the most enjoyable to drive and well sorted than any truck I've owned or driven, and it scoots along pretty well too.

As for the locker and weak rear end. I've had mine engaged in 2hi while rallyx'ing, no complaints yet.

My biggest gripes are;

Composite bed, pain to bolt to it, had to get really creative to mount my FWC.

I too have a wind noise around 75, it's just my reminder to back off a little to keep the insurance down.....

I hate not having a manual t-case, waiting for a little light to stop flashing to tell me I'm in 4wd really irks me!

Toyota's rear spring TSB. I didn't find out about it til after my warranty was up, that means I'm not entitled to a fix? What a rip!!!!

I've recently developed a single click, when I go from forward to reverse or reverse to forward, after moving about 20 ft *click* and that's it...

Mileage is always the same whether I'm driving like grandma or steve mcqueen, and is worse than my dad's crew cab F250, I get 17-18 no matter the surface, where as in road trips in his truck we've gotten 18-20, even pulling a trailer!

Seats are GREAT! Best factory seats I've ever ridden in, really keeps you centered in the seat.

All in all I can't really complain, I bought a Toyota for their reputation for longevity, and I've always thought Toyota pickups just oozed cool, especially in the 80's. It's still my favorite vehicle to drive of the 4 in our driveway (cherokee, 83 mustang, 07 focus).

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I posted this in another thread, but for the sake of the search bots:

I am in Kensucky visiting family. A few nights ago we got a HUGE rain that lasted all night. The next morning I went for a coffee run and the serpentine accessory belt started squealing big time. Not being one for 'mechanics in a bottle' (belt dressing) and not having a full compliment of tools onboard, I went to the local dealer for a replacement at 75K miles.

After a two hour wait at the not-so-busy yet huge dealer, the service writer told me that the new belt broke upon start up and they had to put on the old belt due to no more in stock. I was asked to return the next day, which I did.

That job took about 50 minutes and shortly after leaving the stealership I smelt oil - hot oil - and lots of it. I know what your thinking and I suspected a hose going to the oil cooler as well. BUT as it turns out, the broken belt 'walked off' (dealer speak) *BACKWARDS* and was caught behind the harmonic balancer and effectively 'walked' the front main cover loose creating the Valdez II. Upon return to the dealership and pointing to the culprit, they quickly scheduled my truck in for repairs, gratis.

It seems that this has happened before. I mention this now because our trucks are getting older and many may be in need of this repair. The service tech (Toyota Master) told me that despite the simplicity of the job, a Tacoma owner would be foolish to shoulder this task and run the same risk without the protection of a toyota dealer to stand behind it

Last edited:

Super Doody

Explorer
Schattenjager said:
I posted this in another thread, but for the sake of the search bots:

I am in Kensucky visiting family. A few nights ago we got a HUGE rain that lasted all night. The next morning I went for a coffee run and the belt started squealing big time. Not being one for 'mechanics in a bottle' (belt dressing) and not having a full compliment of tools onboard, I went to the local dealer for a replacement at 75K miles.

After a two hour wait at the not-so-busy yet huge dealer, the service writer told me that the new belt broke upon start up and they had to put on the old belt due to no more in stock. I was asked to return the next day, which I did.

That job took about 50 minutes and shortly after leaving the stealership I smelt oil - hot oil - and lots of it. I know what your thinking and I suspected a hose going to the oil cooler as well. BUT as it turns out, the broken belt 'walked off' (dealer speak) *BACKWARDS* and was caught behind the harmonic balancer and effectively 'walked' the front main cover loose creating the Valdez II. Upon return to the dealership and pointing to the culprit, they quickly scheduled my truck in for repairs, gratis.

It seems that this has happened before. I mention this now because our trucks are getting older and many may be in need of this repair. The service tech (Toyota Master) told me that despite the simplicity of the job, a Tacoma owner would be foolish to shoulder this task and run the same risk without the protection of a toyota dealer to stand behind it

75k is way too premature for a worn out timing belt. How did you and the dealer conclude that it was the timing belt at was squeaking?

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
:exclaim:

I should have been more clear and have edited the original post. This was the serpentine accessory belt. I think the new Tacoma's have a chain for timing duties. Not yet sure about that however....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears