Interesting Device that Converts I phone to Sat phone

2008taco

Even though android is the number 1 selling phone. So in reality you are following the drones to android land.

Molon Labe

No, android is an operating system, not a phone. This means you have choices. Apple has 1 phone ONE, with many manufacturer set limitations which are very hard to circumvent. Some are in place to make the company more money, and others are in place because the company has a set of morals they believe in and think everyone else should follow their beliefs, so they don't give you a choice. They even tried to argue in court that the phone is their's, you're just paying to use it, and as such should not be allowed to jailbreak or unlock it.
Andriod on the other hand has said, here is our software, use it in pretty much whatever hardware you desire, do with it what you please, its YOURS. No muss, no fuss.

kevint

Adventurer
I think the sat phone attachment is an interesting device that, if popular, should eventually become available on either platform.

I'm interested, if the device is available in your preferred platform at the quoted $500, would you purchase. Also, what do sat phone service plans run?

kingg5

Adventurer
No, android is an operating system, not a phone. This means you have choices. Apple has 1 phone ONE, with many manufacturer set limitations which are very hard to circumvent. Some are in place to make the company more money, and others are in place because the company has a set of morals they believe in and think everyone else should follow their beliefs, so they don't give you a choice. They even tried to argue in court that the phone is their's, you're just paying to use it, and as such should not be allowed to jailbreak or unlock it.
Andriod on the other hand has said, here is our software, use it in pretty much whatever hardware you desire, do with it what you please, its YOURS. No muss, no fuss.

actually. apple has 6 different models.

Adventure Copan

Adventurer
Also, what do sat phone service plans run?

That's my question and not to sound stupid, but what are really the benefits vs just a regular cell? I get coverage in many areas with just my iPhone. Is it cheaper in the long run for world calls?

-Daniel Kent

kevint

Adventurer
I believe the key benefit is access in places not covered by cell phone service. Much of the world has cell phone coverage however, even in the US, much of West Texas and New Mexico don't for example.

Adventure Copan

Adventurer
I believe the key benefit is access in places not covered by cell phone service. Much of the world has cell phone coverage however, even in the US, much of West Texas and New Mexico don't for example.

Thought so but wanted to ask. I get service in much of Latin America with little issues, but always nice to have options. :D

-Daniel Kent

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

One phone operates exactly the same as one from another manufacturer.

Molon Labe

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Let's not get into the apple vs android thing. Let's discuss that satphone device. I think it is a great idea that I'm surprised has taken this long to come to market. I'm sure Iridium is working on something like this. If SPOT wants to stay in business they better be working on something like this to replace or be the highest upgrade to their small units.

I'm guessing their will be several competitors coming out with this soon. That is good as it will improve the offerings and hopefully help lower the prices.

jCubed

Adventurer
Did anyone else look at the coverage map? Nothing in the Western Hemisphere.
I should say nothing in the Americas.

robgendreau

Explorer
I think it's still not available...which should be reason enough to stay away. Fail. They'll get the iPhone 5 version out about the time the iPhone 6 hits. Kinda a hassle for something a cheapo bluetooth attachment should handle, contacts and voice. You could either just get a sat phone or, if you want connectivity with a smartphone, the DeLorme InReach Smartphone that works with either iOS or Android, and offers some GPS capabilities, and is on the Iridium system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier