FlashHole's M416 trailer Build

Flashole

Adventurer
Big Update tonight

Those of you who have been following this thread know that I have been going back and forth on whether to weld or bolt the hinges on. Welding them on was always my intent, but some suggested that I bolt them on instead. I could make arguments for both, but in the end I broke out the drill and started drilling holes.

I did weld the hinge brackets on. I actually made good enough welds that I don't need to grind:wings:

I made sure to set the lid on the weather stripping prior to drilling through the lid. Good thing too. I would have guessed that it would have compressed more than that.

Had to make some careful measurements. For obvious reasons, I didn't want to hit a seam.

I opted to go with stainless button head bolts. I think they will look pretty good.

While I was at it, I installed the handle. Very happy with this purchase.

And here we have it.

I ordered larger toggle latches that should be here tomorrow. I also need to figure out what I'm going to do for a locking system.

I also need to order some lift supports, just as soon as I can figure out what to order. I think I've settled on 180 lb shocks, but I have no clue what length to order. I have to admit that I'm somewhat baffled by this:drool:

3d fj

Observer
NICE! it's funny you commented on the weld on the hinge. I said out loud "that's a nice weld" before i even read your comment. hahaha.

TheJosh

Explorer
I'm having a problem with the hinges I have they just won't work because the lid is slightly larger than the top lid of the tub so if I center it the hinges will have to be offset. I'm wondering if what you have will work. How wide are they and how tall are they?

Where did you buy them from?

Flashole

Adventurer
I'm having a problem with the hinges I have they just won't work because the lid is slightly larger than the top lid of the tub so if I center it the hinges will have to be offset. I'm wondering if what you have will work. How wide are they and how tall are they?

Where did you buy them from?

The straps are approximately 2.25" wide by 5.25" tall. I ordered them from northern tool. Linky http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200306309_200306309

They also have a shorter version found here. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200306307_200306307

The lower portion of the hinge(cradle) and the strap portion sit flush with one another. So, if your lid is larger than the upper rails of your trailer, you will need to shim the lower portion of the hing outward to be flush with the lid. Otherwise, the lid will hang over a good distance on the opposite side. I guess that makes sense.

BTW......Not sure the photos do them justice, but these hinges look great on my trailer.

Flashole

Adventurer
Update

The big brown truck dropped off my new lid latches tonight. So, after taking the long memorial day weekend off, it was time to get busy.

Installing the latch on the lid was a pretty straight forward endeavor. But, installing the hinges on the other side pushed the lid over far enough that the latches wouldn't latch all the way. After a quick diagnosis of the problem, I decided that shimming the latch hook out would be the easiest way to solve the problem. Why can't things just be easy for once:violent-smiley-031:

Welded up. I will blend it all in with body filler when I do all the final body work.

I really like the way these latches look. Much better than the De Sta Co style latches that I originally purchased. Plus they lock, so that solves that problem.

Tomorrow, my lift supports should arrive. Once those are mounted, I think I'm ready for dis-assembly, final body work and paint.

Flashole

Adventurer
Thanks guys!

Update

After 3 Fed Ex shipments, Lift Support Depot finially got my order right for the lid supports. They get an F for initial accuracy and follow up accuracy, but they get an A for friendly service and overnight re-shipment of the correct parts.

I went with 2 180lb shocks, although one will hold it up just fine. I can now lift this heavy lid with one hand:sombrero:

If you have followed this thread, you know that I begrudgingly installed a crossbar after I cut the hole for the tailgate. I have to say, this crossbar has come in very handy. It's the perfect spot for both the lid support and the tailgate cables.

As for the front, I installed the lift support on the outside. I went back and forth and finally decided that the extra cargo space was more important than looks. It wouldn't take up a lot of space, but it would need freedom to move and I was afraid that it would keep me from stacking stuff up into the lid. Besides, I really don't mind the look of it on the outside.

It's now time to think about a paint scheme. I already know it's going to be silver to match the Jeep with black frame and fenders, and maybe some other black parts. I'm also considering putting a 30" Jeep star on the top of the lid in either black or dark metallic grey(like the one below). The problem is that it's $68 for the paint mask at a local sign company. What do you guys think.......Is it worth the $68?

Septu

Explorer
Completely personal choice on the cost of the decal. IF you think it is, then go for it. It's your trailer, and something you'll see all the time (whenever a tent isn't on it).

For me, I can blow $70 in many many different ways (and I frequently do). If I found something I liked enough to put on, I wouldn't hesitate to pay $70 to do so. But that's me.

Bedwell

Observer
I just finished reading your entire build thread, very clean and professional work! I like your attention to detail.

I will be borrowing your lid design, would you mind sharing what you have invested as far as materials and cost?

Keep up the good work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior