Habitat Owner's Thread

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Problem

Hey Mario/Martyn
I'm afraid I have another problem. Every time I turn a corner there is a piece of metal that is sliding back and forth in the front trough of the base section. It is right above the sun visors. At first I thought it was one of those rivets that was drilled out (which I still think it is) and was in the floor of the "tent". But when I opened it up there was nothing there. I checked very closely. Nothing up there. So I close up the tent (which I can do by myself without sitting on the lid) and go for a drive. Every corner the metal piece slides back and forth. So now I realize it is inside the two layers of the base shell!
Then I notice the header carpet pad that is screwed up there. So before I tear into it, if I take that out can I reach up in that front trough section and grab that annoying little rivet?

This happened when they drilled all of the rivets out to remove the tent for the work previously mentioned. The rest of you have nothing to worry about.

Dirk

kb7our

Explorer
Hey Mario/Martyn
I'm afraid I have another problem. Every time I turn a corner there is a piece of metal that is sliding back and forth in the front trough of the base section. It is right above the sun visors. At first I thought it was one of those rivets that was drilled out (which I still think it is) and was in the floor of the "tent". But when I opened it up there was nothing there. I checked very closely. Nothing up there. So I close up the tent (which I can do by myself without sitting on the lid) and go for a drive. Every corner the metal piece slides back and forth. So now I realize it is inside the two layers of the base shell!
Then I notice the header carpet pad that is screwed up there. So before I tear into it, if I take that out can I reach up in that front trough section and grab that annoying little rivet?

This happened when they drilled all of the rivets out to remove the tent for the work previously mentioned. The rest of you have nothing to worry about.

Dirk

Please defer to AT for expert advice. I think I would try snaking something up in there at the A-pillar opening that had something sticky on the end. Or, possibly get some air pressure blowing through one A-pillar to blow it out the other. Maybe even a narrow vacuum line to suck it out. Doubt the object is magnetic otherwise a magnet on a snake/bendable wire might catch it. Drive off camber until you nearly tip until object rolls near A-pillar then snag it ;)

Good luck!

Ursa Minor

Access

I noticed the header carpet pad that is screwed up there... If I take that out can I reach up in that front trough section and grab that annoying little rivet?

Dirk - There's no access to the front header ("front trough") from under the shell headliner panel. - John @ UMV

For any other Habitat owners, if I happen to be surfing the forums and see something I can help with, I'll respond.

Generally, for technical questions or service issues of any sort, please send an email, as that helps track issues, ensures a response, and allows for answers that might be specific to your unit.

Forum posts and PM can be hit or miss depending on if I'm using my iphone, logged in, on the road, or reading a particular thread. I'm sure it's similar with AT as well. Thanks for your understanding!

kb7our

Explorer
Shifting Torsion Bar Mounts

I've recently discovered a little issue where the torsion bar mounts are shifting vertically in their mount slot each time the cap is cycled open/closed. I discovered this by noticing the silicon sealant kept popping out of the gap around where each torsion bar bracket enters the cap and lower shell. I could not figure out why this was occuring and initially attibuted it to vibration from the road. After a few re-seals due to sealant not staying in place, I figured out what was going on by watching the brackets shift (maybe 1/4") when cyling the cap open (first shift) and then closed again (shift back to original position). Maybe the bolts holding the brackets to the shell are slipping although I cannot tell for sure. I've got word to AT and UMV to see about stopping by the shop this week on the way up to Toroweap and am hopeful this will be a simple tightening of the bracket bolts. Maybe they just didn't get enough initial torque at install or loctite needs to be added to keep things tight during offroad journeys.

I am not familiar with the how they are mounting the torsion bar hinges in the Habitat but in the flippac they sleeve them in an over sized metal tube with steel "shims/spacers" underneath the hinge. The hinge itself is threaded and bolted through the tube from the inside pulling it tight against the tube on the inside. It seems likely they bolts are just a tad loose or if they use shims maybe one has worked its way loose?

kb7our

Explorer
I am not familiar with the how they are mounting the torsion bar hinges in the Habitat but in the flippac they sleeve them in an over sized metal tube with steel "shims/spacers" underneath the hinge. The hinge itself is threaded and bolted through the tube from the inside pulling it tight against the tube on the inside. It seems likely they bolts are just a tad loose or if they use shims maybe one has worked its way loose?

Thanks for the info. The bolts I see inside the cap and lower shell appear to be for horizontal movement/placement but I suppose they could also have some vertical play for the hinges. It's possible shims may have even been left off as both sides move/shift a little, although one side is an upper bracket and the other side is the lower bracket. Bolts don't seem loose but I am unable to check them with the cap full vertical without tension on the bar - no means to hold it that way. We'll see what UMV or AT advise to correct. Hopefully not a big ordeal, hopefully.

Healeyjet

Explorer
Does the Habitat come with a sleeping pad of any kind or is that something I will need to purchase elsewhere?
Ward

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Does the Habitat come with a sleeping pad of any kind or is that something I will need to purchase elsewhere?
Ward
Yes. A foam pad that is covered in fabric. I don't think any of us are using it for the reasons mentioned above. Too narrow mostly.

kb7our

Explorer
What you witnessed was some of the R&D side, two prototype variations of a product over a twelve month period. Nemo has never given a specific time frame for when this product will come to market, and no amount of complaining or second guessing will have any effect on when it does. It will arrive at the market place as a mature well thought out product that works first time.

Thanks, Martyn. I was using this lastest update on "Spring" timeframe...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/59908-Jeep-Wrangler-Habitat-Official-Release/page56

No complaining here (that would come later if the product didn't work as intended ;)), just ready to roll with an awning for the summer!

Last edited:

kb7our

Explorer
Habitats in Cool Places

Any guesses? All pics are from the same location.

27.jpg 2.jpg

9.jpg 3.jpg

1.jpg 12.jpg

Last edited:

jrueppel

Adventurer
A place (I think) I've been wanting to get back to now that the tent is on!
My guess: Is there a really big hole just out of the shot to the right?

kb7our

Explorer
A place (I think) I've been wanting to get back to now that the tent is on!
My guess: Is there a really big hole just out of the shot to the right?

Well, all we could find was this little crack that looked like it led somewhere...

10.jpg

Was there supposed to be more to see?

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Satellite radio

Do any of you guys with the Habitat have satellite radio? My Sirius radio sucks now. I either have to move the antenna or get a new one. Just don't know where to put one...

Wade, Nice PICS! I am really wanting to go on a trip.

Dirk

jrueppel

Adventurer
AT relocated mine to the front cowl during the install. The antenna is small and black so it blends right in with the Jeep. Service was a bit spotty before. But it"s been a whole lot better in the new location

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles