M416 trailer build my brother and I

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Test fit of the fender.
T29.jpg
At this point we are two weeks into the project. The next step is the bed.

Last edited:

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Mark I ordered a tongue box (which is on now), we are going to make a lid with a basket rack on it. Also thinking about moving the tongue box forward and putting a rack between the box and tub for water cans and a cooler. I would welcome any other thoughts or ideas from anyone out there.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I like the extended tongue looks great.
You could get a couple 5 gallon water cans septer style with the spouts that would fit between the
tongue box and tub. or a larger poly tank that was wide and thin. Will you color match the tub to the jeep?

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Nice job on the trailer so far. Since you extended the tongue and you have a welder, I too would suggest you move the box forward and get either cans or one water tank and put a pump spout on top for easy water access. You will have to weld some new supports for the box though, I think. Very ncie work. Great to have a handy brother. Mine is great but I would not let him near my trailer with any tools!

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
I like the extended tongue looks great.
You could get a couple 5 gallon water cans septer style with the spouts that would fit between the
tongue box and tub. or a larger poly tank that was wide and thin. Will you color match the tub to the jeep?

As far as matching the tub to my jeep, it will be similar, the issue is $50 to be close or $200 to match so I'm going with the $50 option.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Next it was time to rip off the back and reconstruct a tailgate. So here's a few shots of that. He had to cut the back of the bottom of the tub out and weld another piece in there. The old piece was so tore up from the previous weld job, it was best just to start over with it.
T30.jpg
Working on the top rail to make it match the rest of the rim.
T31.jpg
T32.jpg

sroth

Fabricator
This was the best part of the project so far. The bed started to come together and my brother started to see his vision and my work come together.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
I ordered the tailgate, the measurements that were in the product description were different that the actual measurements.
T33.jpg
Here is a test fit.
T36.jpg
T37.jpg

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
The tailgate had a round lip on the top but it was not the same size as the rest of the lip. So we cut it off and welded a new lip across the top. My brother taught me how to weld, while we were working on the project. It was time to build it up to tailgate area.
T38.jpg
T39.jpg

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
We also learned a few things about the welder. My brother was using it and it shut down on him so he took it back to Lowes and got a new one. Three days later we were welding and the new one shut down too. So he did a little research and found out that it has a 3 minute work cycle and a 7 minute rest cycle. Once we followed that rule it worked well.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
So here is a test fit of the bed, tongue box and the frame. Some pictures with the tailgate and some without.
T40.jpg
T41.jpg
T42.jpg
T43.jpg
Here's the test with the fender on it.
T44.jpg
T45.jpg

Last edited:

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
It took a whole day to clean the inside of the tub up and a bunch of sanding discs for the grinder.
T46.jpg
After cleaning it up we lined the inside with a home liner kit from Lowes. We were able to do the inside with two coats and the bottom and still have some left over. The liner hides any issues with the welding on the tailgate.
T47.jpg
T48.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior