Kites-Anyone take one/some camping?

erk469

I have four kids and when we going camping we always bring the kites..nothing to fancy but nothing to cheap either.

forty4fun

Observer
Kids and kites

Weekend before Easter was the Cub Scout camp out. Our den leader brought cheap plastic kites for the boys. It rained all weekend. After something like 30,000 games of UNO in the tent we assembled the kite and flew it until it was to dark to see. My kid was soaking wet from standing in the drizzle but had a blast. I will definitely bring on future camping trips. I just really had not thought of it as camping equipment. I had the soccer ball and the football cards etc but the kite saved the weekend.

wands

We used one this weekend while camping in South Carolina. The kids just sat there and watched it in amazement. Ordering one of those prism stowaway kites shown above today.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Prism kites are awesome. I have a Snapshot 1.2 and 1.9. The latter will really stretch your arms. They say it will fly at over 50mph, and I believe it. Half an hour flying that thing is like going to the gym. Super fun.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
Good discussion here. I'm going to have to get a kite. Not too expensive, lightweight and fun. And as said before, it has the power to ward off wind. lol.

robert

Expedition Leader
I've got an older parafoil single line that I used to fly in Iraq (oddly no one ever said anything about it) and a Prism Jazz. I've had a couple of other kites over the years and would like to get a Speed Foil at some point.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I believe Jim (Teotwaki) uses a kite to fly up a wire antenna for ham radio on the HF bands.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Quick preview of this past weeks trip to Saline...
IMG_0513_zps7af91b39.jpg

eggman918

Adventurer
A kite can be a life saver,my Wife is a 911 operator for the Co. Fire Dept. and I cannot count the number of times that someone is injured and the reporting party cannot give directions
to her to send help sometimes they can't find them sometimes they do but too late for the victim.Often even with the helicopter it is difficult to locate them when all they have to go off of is a cell tower
and the caller may be miles from the victim to get service, a kite is easy for the air units to see and can cut the search short by hours or days.

xplrn42

Adventurer
I've always loved kites, my brother bought me a handmade box kite when I was a kid.....it was really cool but in farmland south Georgia not much chance to fly, except during hurricane season, LOL! I destroyed that kite in no time.
After moving to the PNW and having a wife that loves the Or. coast, I found kite flying was pretty much a must. So, I bought a couple trick kites to play around with whenever go over there, still got one after 10 yrs.
Then my wifes Grandfather passes away, I never met him, and her sister brings to our house about 50 kites of all various sizes/shapes/styles. Some handmade, some custom, and many made by himself. I've got boxes/bags of string, again different types and sizes. I've even got one handmade and autographed by a very famous kite maker, but I haven't had enough coffee this morning to recall his name.
I've still yet to go through all of them, but I've flown about a dozen, including a few he made himself. It's really something I'm very proud of and enjoy.

Attachments

• 20100816-DSCN0796.jpg
    20100816-DSCN0796.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 13
  • 20100816-DSCN0831.jpg
    20100816-DSCN0831.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 13

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I bought a Prism Jazz not too long ago from campmor and it is ok. Today I ordered a Prism Snapshot dual line parafoil. I crashed the Jazz a couple times locally and broke the spine. A replacement was had at Up and Away Kites in Seal Beach. Finally got some good flights in today and it was a blast but I figure with the parafoil there is nothing to break other than a line. Can't wait to get it, fly it, then take it to no-mans land for some fun. I almost pulled the trigger on a Prism Tensor 5 power kite on ebay but let the auction go to someone else. Baby steps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online