cab-over wake up call

HINO SG

Adventurer
Ok, nothing really substatial here but thought I'd try to get this forum rolling again, fiiguritivly speaking.
I have a '98 HINO SG3325 two axle freight truck (33,000 lb GVW) It's probably going to take another year or two of commercial service to get it paid for, but anyone want to speculate about the feasabilty of importing the all-wheel drive hardware from a Japanese- or say, Austrailian market vehicle?:ylsmoke:
I know that the cab and some of the drivetrain is common to the HINO FT- the Paris-Dakar champion- but I wonder if the chasis rails and suspention design are even remotely similar

HINO SG

Adventurer
Expedition HINO

Interesting thought. I'll have to hit a few regional websites. My recollection,though, is that the Euro trucks are pretty strong down there- M-B, MAN, Scania and maybe Volvo.

There's a guy who's undertaking a similar project out in- I think, Wyoming. Has already built a really nice FG- based camper and now going to try somthing bigger. Didn't return my email, though. May have to try again when I get more serious.

I used to know of a guy in New Jersey who landed a half-dozen or so ex-army Mercedes 4x4 troop carriers in the country- a model that was essentially similar to a commercial truck sold here before Freightliner replaced the Mercedes line. He got away with it but I don't know if it was actually legal. And that was quite awhile ago.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I readily admit that I know nothing about the large trucks but it is certainly interesting. Any updates you have, please remember to share it here.

You just never know who imported some off market cars/trucks into some of those 3rd World countries?

gjackson

FRGS
but anyone want to speculate about the feasabilty of importing the all-wheel drive hardware from a Japanese- or say, Austrailian market vehicle

Do you mean feasibility as in getting it into the country or feasibility as in finding the right stuff in those markets to import.

I don't think either would be hard. Drivetrain components (apart from engines, of course) aren't regulated over here. If you are putting HINO components on a HINO, then no one should complain.

cheers

HINO SG

Adventurer
expedition HINO

As far as stuff in third world countries, well, at least in the past vehicles have been scarce enough in those places that they actually importing our junkers. You wouldn't belive the crap the latin Americans were hauling out of Minnesota five years ago -Mercedes and Isuzu especially. Because the rust problem up here produces lots of rusty but mechanicaly soild vehicles that sell for cheap? Or just because our construction labor is largely immigrant and it's easier to buy here than on the way home? I don't know.

I'll try to get some photos up soon.

Evan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier