Towing my RV with the K2500

BBslider001

Diesel Head
This is just a small report on the use of my K2500 that I have had for 6 months. Like Larry said, this thing is dirt reliable and I have had little issues until.....yesterday.

So, driving down the 5, with my RV hooked up for the first time, all was goin really well. The new exhaust and CAT sounded so good and the ability of this truck to pull 9k pounds was really surprising. It's like it was meant to pull and it knew it! But then....(insert dramatic music) I hear a small groaning noise and my wife says "what is that noise?" as coolant starts spewing from under the hood!! :Wow1: And I mean SPEWING....

I got it pulled over really quick and shut it down. Now, I have my wife, 21 month old daughter, and RV all on the side of the 5 and traffic is heavy. Long story short, after total bewilderment, I figure it has to be the thermostat. The belt, WP, and RAD were fine. I got my tools, pop the thermo housing, and sure enough it was stuck in the closed position!! I popped it off and the engine was bone dry. I put the hose back on, filled it with water..VERY SLOWLY with the engine running after cooling down, and all was fine. I am thanking God that my engine and transmission did not grenade on me. I am guessing that getting it pulled over and shut down quickly is what saved it.

So, the truck pulls great and all is well..just wanted to share my harrowing experience with those I know would appreciate.

G_fresh

Adventurer
Are you gonna start carrying a spare thermostat? Did it run too cool without one?

Scary story (at least from your trucks perspective)... Glad your vehicle seems ok!

Kaisen

Explorer
Twenty year old truck, those things are bound to happen. Thankfully, it was something minor and you were able to enjoy the rest of your trip!

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Are you gonna start carrying a spare thermostat? Did it run too cool without one?

Scary story (at least from your trucks perspective)... Glad your vehicle seems ok!

Yeah, I'll carry a spare. I have never needed too, but this is the first older truck I have used for towing. It did run too cool without one. It would only read about 140* give or take from the factory gauge. I put together a crate with an extra belt, thermostat, 3 gallons of 50/50 antifreeze, oil, PS fluid, the works.

glad to hear it worked out with out any damage!! Hope my first RV tow goes well too.

I hope so too! Your truck should be fine since you have just built/replaced everything. My thermostat looked to be the original one when I took it out. I have since put a new one in it, flushed the cooling system, and tightened everything up. I found the clamp on the bottom RAD hose was able to be turned by hand!! :Wow1: So yeah, tightened that clamp and checked all of the others. I am usually pretty prepared, but could have done a little better for this one. ooopsa daisy... :sombrero:

Twenty year old truck, those things are bound to happen. Thankfully, it was something minor and you were able to enjoy the rest of your trip!

I completely agree and thanks! I was just very thankful I was able to fix it on the side of the interstate and that nothing else grenaded. I am very lucky.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
So here is what I tow

:sombrero: And there she is. The next outing should be much better. I am installing a huge tranny cooler this weekend and got the cooling system all buttoned up last week after the thermostat incident. I'll give it another go.

Attachments

• 04-02-2013 097.JPG
    04-02-2013 097.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 04-02-2013 096.JPG
    04-02-2013 096.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 6
  • suburban 002.JPG
    suburban 002.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 7

Forum statistics

Threads