Van Camp Trip - Round 1

steelheadbum

Adventurer
We'll I've had my 7.3 Cargo van for almost a year now.
Clocked as high as 24.5 MPG at 60 mph and as little as 17.5 MPG at 70 mph. Ready to get a 4wd conversion and a large list of other modifications under way so that we can start making our way further off the beaten path. Hope you guys enjoyed the pics!

Holy cow!! I have never heard of 24.5 MPG out of a 7.3 PSD....let alone in a rig that weighs 4800 lbs stock. I have a 2002 E350

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TBS

Observer
Thank you EVERYONE for the kind words.

There will most certainly be some armor building in this van's future, but likely just a couple one off builds.

I will be relocating the propane, so all you worry warts can rest easy. I'd like to have it mounted under the vehicle and covered with a skid, but I'll need to look into horizontal tanks and see if I can find something in a decent size so that I can carry what I need. Without it being able to be exchanged, I'd like to know that I'd be able to be out for a week without needing to refill.

TBS

Observer
Also, since it seems to be such a sensitive subject I thought I'd poke the bear a bit.....

Pic019_zps703a5591.jpg

d67u57

Adventurer
nobody puts them on top anymore these days?

unless you hit a low bridge,most of he time you should be fine.

derjack

Adventurer
I'm sorry - but I don't get it? How is having a propane tank mounted on the back any different than having gas cans mounted back there? Seems every Sportmobile I see has the Aluminess bumper with 4 gas cans (20 gallons) of gas back there? And every Jeep seems to have one or two gas cans having off the back?
Propane explodes, gas does "only" burns and only if tank is complete cut in peaces, not if there's just a hole in a gas tank.

Indiana Camper

Propane and gas each have to have a spark to explode. In many ways gas is more dangerous. If propane leaks it just dissapates in to the air. There would have to be a spark or open flame right by the leak to ignite it.

Nice pics and thanks for sharing.

Gooseberry

Explorer
you know your house could burn down because your have yet to check any of your wiring connections since the house was built? Really people if that tank gets hit its the least of his worries. My SMB has a huge tank that all i need to have happen is a hit on the drivers side and any small car could do that but it would take a truck to hit that tank. Yikes get off your podium.

Sorry but just get out and see the country with the family

TBS

Observer
TBS what year is your van and have you had any probs with the engine?

Thing runs like a champ! I have loads of faith in the drivetrain in this van. Looking forward to taking it out to Tennessee in the spring.

Aram

thanks! do you recall the year? I'm considering a 2000 E250 with 7.3 diesel, the "bad" years were something like 2003-2010?

TBS

Observer
Mine is a '97. From what I have read the 7.3 only got better with time and that the 2000-2002 models where the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94