Van Camp Trip - Round 1

TBS

Observer
We'll I've had my 7.3 Cargo van for almost a year now. Bought with the intention of building a 4wd camper van, much inspiration coming from this forum. We had decided that we wanted to take our party of 3 and our pup on a spring break adventure from Houston, TX out to the Big Sur coast in California, so without having done any real serious modifications yet I threw together a pretty primitive configuration to get the job done.

I found a vinyl bench seat from a passenger van that came with the quick release brackets and mounted it directly behind the captains chairs up front for our daughter, and spent an afternoon building a pretty simple sleep deck at the back of the van. With no interior walls it perfectly fit a futon mattress(same dims as a full mattress). Used the floor area under the bed for storing a few totes, the wheel well area on the driver side to store tools and straps, and the wheel well area on the passenger side to house my temp house batt. set up which consisted of: 1 walmart marine deep cycle 12v batt and a prowatt 2000w inverter. The house batt. ran our roof vent fan, interior lighting, and a small tv/dvd player for the kiddo while we were on the road.

Also, mounted a 15 lb propane tank to the rear of the van and plumbed it inside to a Heater Buddy Portable heater to keep us warm on the cold nights, which worked awesome! With the heater on the lowest setting and the roof vent fan pulling air out we were all comfortable. I plan to use the propane to also run a small LP fridge as well.

I unloaded my extended trip backpacking gear into the van and we set off for 10 days on the road.

My gorgeous daughter...and a shot of the roof insulation

Picture312_zpsf86ebea9.jpg

Faith and Lou dog kickin it in the bed, and my rear window covers I made out of my 4Runner's sun visor that I cant get my fiance to use and some adhesive velcro strips

Picture305_zpsdfffa187.jpg

Our first spot we landed near Cholame, ca. Private property we were invited to stay at from some friendly folks at the only restaurant in town.

Picture031-1_zps67598f02.jpg

The crew and view!

Picture036-1_zps7165f8e2.jpg

Red wood hidaway with a shot of the propane mount and roof vent..

Picture102_zpsf7812858.jpg

Our first view of the ocean as we break out of the mountain pass we came in on...

Picture096_zpse25a04a9.jpg

Some samples of the coast line and wild life...

Picture173_zpsf9cf3850.jpg

Picture170_zpsb811ed23.jpg

Picture200_zps65dd26f9.jpg

Picture240_zpsde4a9a1f.jpg

Picture242_zps975533b9.jpg

Picture263_zpse5ee3a07.jpg

Picture293_zps62e45635.jpg

Picture208_zps67470f62.jpg

Picture279_zps6e8df8ee.jpg

and I'm not quite sure why I found this one interesting...

Picture246_zps4889db40.jpg

All in all we had a great time. Clocked as high as 24.5 MPG at 60 mph and as little as 17.5 MPG at 70 mph. Ready to get a 4wd conversion and a large list of other modifications under way so that we can start making our way further off the beaten path. Hope you guys enjoyed the pics!

CrabbyMcNab

Adventurer
Nice write up, beautiful scenery and fantastic family.
Gotta love being able to hop into a van and beating feet around the USA!
Look forward to see what you do with the van

Toolman

Explorer
Yes, I enjoyed the pics. This is what it's all about.

Thank you for sharing. Look forward to the build.

kcernest

Observer
I've never seen a propane bottle mounted like that, interesting. I'm trying to figure out what to do with one on my van. Can you please share some more on that?

derjack

Adventurer
I've never seen a propane bottle mounted like that, interesting. I'm trying to figure out what to do with one on my van. Can you please share some more on that?

Hi,

Sorry to speak that kind of clear but to mount a propane tank at the back of any vehicle is seriously silly!
This is the most dangerous thing I have ever seen on a car or truck!

Please don't do that, especially when you have a kid in the car. Imagine what can happen if anyone drives in your car, even if its parked.
This is not funny.

sgosine

Observer

I was at a local van shop here and they and the sweetest custom propane rigs that hung off the backdoor and swung out, I can take pix for you not sure if they have shots on their website but they are called boulder Offroad vans it was a sweet little set up tho...

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Hi,

Sorry to speak that kind of clear but to mount a propane tank at the back of any vehicle is seriously silly!

Please don't do that, especially when you have a kid in the car. Imagine what can happen if anyone drives in your car, even if its parked.
This is not funny.

How is this any different than the ubiquitous VW Vanagon Westfalia with a factory propane tank mounted on the frame rail underneath the passenger compartment?

TBS

Observer
Hi,

This is not funny.

I thought the 'pane mount might create some controversy, but......eh. I consider it my version of those hillbilly "back-off" mud flaps with a picture of Yosemite Sam on them.

img2.jpg

I'll post up a pic or two for those that are interested when I get a chance.

TBS

Observer
Its basically an over grown power tank mount. I was gonna make an aluminum latching strap, but was running short on time and threw together the cinch strap, and it worked so well I think I might just not even bother with the aluminum one.

It is bolted to the outer sheetmetal of the door, and has tabs that brace it to the internal sheetmetal of the door so its not buckling the door. It will probably move when I get around to building a tire carrier for it.

Pic019_zps776a0ac2.jpg

derjack

Adventurer
How is this any different than the ubiquitous VW Vanagon Westfalia with a factory propane tank mounted on the frame rail underneath the passenger compartment?
Hi,

I don´t want to steal the thread, so this will ne my last comment on this. And I don´t want to compare a bad with a worse solution. Regarding this anybody should quote for the safest- IMHO.

Gasoline and Propane are the most dangerous stuff that you can carry around, a gas explosion can easily destroy a whole house (always depending on the critical mixture of propane and oxygen). A cut in the tank and a simple spark can change everything. Mounted on the back someone does not even need to crash into the car but just swipe the back of it for a cut in the tank.
Having the tank inside the car, maybe between the rails of the frame is the most safest part of the car. Even just inside the car will make a huge difference, remember pictures of car crashes and crash-test dummies sitting inside the car. Image what would happen if they would sit on a bumper. This definitely makes a difference.
In Germany and also in the whole European union, as they have similar laws regarding safety, every police car would stop a car with a tank mounted on the back and would not let the car go further.

A cool solution is e.g. are propane alu bottles that can be filled like a normal tank. Due to Alu the weight is half that much + anywhere "fixed" mounted they can be filled via a stud at the end of a pipe, maybe at the back or the side of the car. + you can fill what you need at any gas station that serves LPG. Cost are around 250€ for the small and light 6kg bottle.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
So, Justin.

When will we be seeing a Ford E-Series line of products on the Shrockworks site? :sombrero:

Brad

hobietony

Explorer
Been through a bit of a roller coaster on this one - First, I'm thinking "cute kid!", and then I'm thinking that dog is beautiful, and then I get to your lady... high point here, beautiful people doing cool stuff in beautiful places.

Then I see the shrockwork note in the footer, and remember that it took FOREVER to get the sliders for my Tacoma.

Then this -

Very concerned comments

=

naderunsafespeed.cov2.gif

This thread has it all!

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I'm sorry - but I don't get it? How is having a propane tank mounted on the back any different than having gas cans mounted back there? Seems every Sportmobile I see has the Aluminess bumper with 4 gas cans (20 gallons) of gas back there? And every Jeep seems to have one or two gas cans having off the back?

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
Justin, you've got the family quality time in the outdoors down to a tee!

Great pic's of lovely people enjoying their beautiful country, it doesn't get better than that.

Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94