95 Chev Tahoe build

RussellZ

I love this truck too!

I have an 03 Tahoe 4dr as well but I don't like driving it nearly as much as the 2dr. The newer Tahoe strikes me as a real soccer mom type of a car more than a truck. There are hundreds of them roaming around up here driven by yuppies and it just feels totally cookie cutter to me. The 2dr truck was more unique even when it was bone stock. The fact that it has always been diesel powered is something that makes it far cooler in my mind too.

Once I get the 95 geared for the highway and get the steering / suspension dialed in for street use I will probably start driving it on a daily basis vs my 2012 Sierra 2500HD Duramax.

Now, some of you are probably wondering why I have an 03 Tahoe and a 2012 Sierra registered and insured in addition to my 95? Its actually because my Sierra is such a bloody unreliable truck, LOL! My Sierra has yet to go more than 6 weeks without a trip to the dealership for a few days since I bought it last Feb. My 95 isn't a good winter driver with it's large offroad tires so I picked up something to drive when my truck was down.

A few weeks ago my Sierra's air intake heater relay fused itself together and the heating element got stuck on as a result. It heat soaked the part so much that the plastic parts on it melted and burst into flames so it is at the dealership getting fixed up yet again right now. They also have to replace at least one head gasket due to an internal coolant leak (common failure on the 2011 - 2012 LML Duramax engines of similar mileage to mine). It's been at the dealership for a little over 2 weeks now, parts should be here for the intake heater this coming Monday. The head gaskets will be another week or two of time at the dealership as well. I'm hoping that eventually the Sierra will quit having major mechanical failures (transmission twice, rear diff once, head gaskets, engine fire and countless DPF / DEF system failures) so I can sell the 4dr hoe and get back to just two vehicles on the road.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
awesome build. Ive thought about swapping a Dmax in place of my 6.5 in my suburban, doesnt look like u ran into too many issues with the swap.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Wow on the Dmax!!! Are you able to Lemon Law it? It is absolutely ridiculous what the new emission stuff does to diesels. I would not own a new one even if I could afford it.

RussellZ

awesome build. Ive thought about swapping a Dmax in place of my 6.5 in my suburban, doesnt look like u ran into too many issues with the swap.

Thanks! If you do decide to do a swap, go with an 01/02 LB7. They are the simplest to wire up! Wiring was genuinely a weekend deal for me... Spent more time installing everything than hooking wires up. I personally need to do a 2" body lift on my truck to alleviate some hood clearance issues and transmission tunnel clearance issues. An Allison wouldn't have this issue and it seems to be hit or miss if the hood hits the air I take ducting or not on different people's trucks.

RussellZ

Wow on the Dmax!!! Are you able to Lemon Law it? It is absolutely ridiculous what the new emission stuff does to diesels. I would not own a new one even if I could afford it.

Unfortunately not. While it is textbook lemon law material in the us, no such legislation exists in Canada. There is an arbitration process that you can enter and potentially wind up with a buy back, but I am beyond the mileage limit to be considered for the arbitration purpose already (I have 77000km on my truck, the limit is 60000km for a 50% buy back and last change to file a complaint.

If I pull the DPF out, I will have a lot less trouble with the truck. If I buy a Tech 2, then I can fully service the truck myself without any dealer assistance required anymore.

bfdiesel

Explorer
Efi Live lets you sevrice a lot too. at least the motor and tranny. Should also be able to tune out your the emissions pop with it.

Last edited:

RussellZ

I wish that was the case! EFI Live hasn't come out with any support for the 2011+ LML engines, and based on what I've read online they don't have any plans to do so in the future either =/ Something about some legal liability from the EPA and GM.

bfdiesel

Explorer
Wow. Just read up a little on the ol' lml all I can say is #$%^ GM. Sell that pile and look for a LBZ. A tech 2 is just a bandaid on a slit throut. http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?22146-LML-Flashing-Support

I liked LB7's power and no emmisions, just hated the going through injectors like candy thing. Then I bought a 07 5.9 cummins and found I have been ruined from the CR system on the LB7, everytime it hiccup'd or anything I jumped like a scared mouse. Sold it too now. I would have looked for a LBZ, but feel I would have the same feelings. The ford I just bought cost less than the injection system for any of these CR diesels and can easily be worked on. I have much more piece of mind now.

If a tech 2 can give you piece of mind then go for it.

RussellZ

Thanks!

And I actually had a really nice 07 LBZ before this truck. I never had a single problem with it and really do regret having sold it every time I take this LML in to the dealership. Great to see that EFI live has made at least some progress with the LML's PCM. I suspect that within a few years someone somewhere will have come up with a way to force the PCM to spit out it's tune for your average DIYer to do their own tuning. People are pretty persistent, anything can be hacked with enough knowledge and determination.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles