2001 R50 Pathfinder Build-up.

XPLORx4

Adventurer
OK, not to threadjack, but I thought I'd give you my take on this. You have an awesome base from which to build a highly-competent, comfortable, and reliable expedition rig.

I recently went wheeling with a guy who has the 4" subframe drop and the 2" lift (for a total of 6") and is running 33" tires. While it looks cool and has better ground clearance than my rig, he commented that his MPG was down, handling was worse, and that he felt the overall lift was a little bit excessive, especially for daily use.

Given that I have been wheeling my Pathy since 1999, and it still only has a 2" lift today, I don't think you should get the subframe drop. Excessive suspension modifications aren't needed for expedition wheeling, where reliability and long-distance comfort are crucial.

I recently watched a very cool "Overland adventuring" video series made by the folks over at xoverland.com. Watching the videos reminded me of past "expedition"-style trips I've taken in my Pathy, which motivated me to find a place to host the numerous photos I took from those trips.

At this link (scroll all the way to the bottom) you will find some examples of previous overland trips I've taken in my Pathy, over 10 years ago. Namely, from California to Ouray, Colorado (2002) and to Moab, Utah (2003). At the time, its major modifications (for off-road performance) were rear ARB locker, 2" AC lift, rock sliders, manual hubs, and a winch+bumper. I believe I was running only 31" tires back then, too.

Since that time, the only major off-road-oriented modifications I've made have been a front ARB locker, 3.7:1 crawler gears in the transfer case, and a custom rear bumper. Even before I added those goodies in 2007, it would have been considered 100% expedition-ready.

stioc

Expedition Leader
x2 on everything Xplorx4 said. Think about the Camel Trophy trucks- they were mostly stock with some basic armor and 31" tires. Remember the Dakar rallys where the 1st gen stock Monteros dominated their class? It's easy to become tempted after seeing the well built rigs on the Internet but everything comes at a price.

BTW, you asked me about the locker...wish I could tell you because I have yet to really use it. I used it once and it was great but 3 out of 5 trucks didn't have a locker and they got through just fine using a slightly different line. Here's the funny part...they were impressed and wanted the locker and here I was thinking man that $2k spent on the locker could've bought me a lot of fuel. Now there're a few friends that I like to go out with and they usually run pretty tough trails, it's the only reason I've considered higher lift, larger tires, armor and locker. Read the Detslider's thread in this section, he built a really nice Frontier and recently removed all the heavy, bulky armor, winch etc after finding out how much over the GVWR he was and how little (if) he used any of that stuff.

The point being don't over do it especially if you're building an expedition rig :)

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
OK, not to threadjack, ... I don't think you should get the subframe drop. Excessive suspension modifications aren't needed for expedition wheeling, where reliability and long-distance comfort are crucial.

At the time, its major modifications (for off-road performance) were rear ARB locker, 2" AC lift, rock sliders, manual hubs, and a winch+bumper. I believe I was running only 31" tires back then, too.

... Even before I added those goodies in 2007, it would have been considered 100% expedition-ready.

by all means no worries. the reliability is something I should probably maintain to the fullest. After going more into the expo rigs on here has shifted some views of mine. While more clearance would be nice, the girlfriend and myself decided on some things to focus on... this includes better way for storage, making sure all maintenance is taken care of, adding some simple outfitter stuff to camp better... This build thread probably should be moved to 'looking for expo ideas' place but idk how to do that. Anyways I appreciate the info and will check out those links. Thank you

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
x2 on everything Xplorx4 said. ... Read the Detslider's thread in this section, he built a really nice Frontier and recently removed all the heavy, bulky armor, winch etc after finding out how much over the GVWR he was and how little (if) he used any of that stuff.

The point being don't over do it especially if you're building an expedition rig :)

Yeah lol I guess you could say that seeing all the internet rigs and looking at the funds I saved up became very tempting. The winch bumper/winch combo is because I tend to break the #1 rule and ill hit some trails by myself out in the boondocks so that is more of a security reason. The rear bumper is because my buddy has to make a "large scale" project for his certification anyways and so I said why not? It's free and if it works out, great! if not, oh well haha. After my discussion with the gf today we are now looking at finding better ways of storage and camping so this build up is going to take a slight shift into interior mods here shortly. I have kept close look to the things I will use... hopefully nothing will be wasted.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Thank you for all the input. Theres a bit more research im going to have to do about making the good expo rigs. Any good links you guys know or any gear that will help out making this pathfinder solid for trails and long journeys cross country make sure to fill me in. Ill be checking this regularly but ill also be scouring all the other threads I can find. Safe travels all.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Nice little rig you have there!!

A little north of Cheyenne. Sometimes in Laramie and Torrington.

My wife has family all over eastern WY (Glendo, torrington, Douglas, etc etc etc) I would love to find some trails on one of my trips up there!

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
My wife has family all over eastern WY (Glendo, torrington, Douglas, etc etc etc) I would love to find some trails on one of my trips up there!

Ha-ha yeah medicine bow has a lot of trails that open up in late June but usually I just call the forest service and tell them I am going on this trail and they clear it. All through the vedauwoo area the trails get extensive. Most are mislabeled but you could spend a could weeks up there and still not hit them all. Medicine bow has some great trails that lead to different lakes in the summer time. Some trails begin as well managed dirt roads and two minutes later you find yourself in 1-2 mph creeping through washed out areas. I love camping there.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Check in in the wyoming head if ou haven't already

I have glanced at that I do believe, With 37 pages it's a lot to go through but it seems like there are a lot more jeeping rigs around than I thought. Sadly I can never get the same times off as my buds so I end up in Colorado with some friends to run trails. Would be great on gas if more people in SE WY were on the trails.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Okay so I have not been updating this recently due to the very high amount of snow mother nature deposited.
View attachment 156675
View attachment 156676
Luckily I believe it has made it's last dash for a good while and snow now I can continue the build up.
Well I was wrong, it snowed for like 3 days straight but the radar is clear as of the last two days and so I will continue.
View attachment 156677

Well the Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch and cover came in, sadly these will just stay in the garage until I can set up an appointment with Armorology in Colorado Springs to make a front bumper. It has a synthetic cable and aluminum fairlead that will be installed once it gets mounted to the bumper.
View attachment 156678

On ExPo, there is a tundra build that gave me a spark of an idea and since it is wood working, I was all for it. The idea for me is to build a unit that will be semi permanent in the cargo area that will have two pull out drawers and a shelf over the RR tire because it sits lower than the LR tire. The unit will only come up to the window in the back. Using these special clips gotten from the tundra thread, I can securely mount a first aid kit, flash lights, small shovel possibly more onto the actual wood face. A net will be clipped across the opening of the shelf to secure those items. I can add anchor points or eyelets above the drawers to put a net over any gear that will sit on top. The entire unit will be coated with Ameraguard once nearly finalized to have it match my charcoal interior. I am no CADD professional but here is a mockup of the base unit without the drawers.
The left edge will come snugly up against the LR wheel well. Material will be 23/32 Plywood, varnished and then coated with Ameraguard. inside the drawers will have nonslip surface mats and a custom cut rubber floor will be placed on top of the unit.
View attachment 156679
This will all begin to take place tomorrow morning once lowes opens up.

I have a center skid on its way from AC as well.

Trying to save up the money for the bumper will take a couple paychecks due to college. Unfortunately this bumper is lower on the totem pole than the new combat boots and camelbak I ordered for when I go to Army Air Assault in the end of May. The boots I was originally issued finally met their final resting place. After three years of hard service and many miles of all types of terrains from streets to desert, they hit the back closet. May they rest well :/

Haha anyways that is where I am at. Tomorrow the base and design for the drawers will be done, they will be coated as soon as the weather hits 60. I think it almost hit 45F today so its getting there! After they are completely coated, the clips for the exposed gear and the anchors will be mounted and the nets will go up.

Oh and I did order a ROLA cargo net to fit the roof rack. $10 with free shipping on Ebay.

It is coming more towards the direction I want it to. After the bumper goes in, HD springs or the AC lift and some different bulbs for the interior and things will slow way way down. All in all, tomorrow will be a great day! :sombrero:

Happy travels everyone!
Weber

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Well the kinda warm weather didn't last long. It is right now 24 with wind so the trutemp is 13. Awesome. Anyways the drawer system is coming together little by little. I am getting excited for it. Sadly everything is easy except getting it coated. Im still not sure how I will go about doing that. Anyways all the pieces are cut, I am now drilling the holes to first glue and then screw them together. Here is a couple sample photos. My apologies for the very poor camera photos. Snow makes a lot of glare.
Here is a shot after the first hour and a half of snow
View attachment 156964
All except the tops all mocked up, everything is just sitting there. Still looking for easy ways to make the shelf fit but I think I have an idea. Any input or advice is welcome!
View attachment 156965
If only there was an easier way to match the curves of the panels and recreate that onto the wood. Anyways here is what eye-balling it did for me.

Over the wheel well
View attachment 156967
It fits together nice, im still deciding if I want the nice ball bearing slides or just the simple center rail slide. I did pick out the handles and latches I might be using, they were lying around so why not.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Nice job and I can't wait to see how it looks when finished. Good call on the center skid plate.

If you go the OME route I'd suggest the HDs for a bit more height. BTW, you asked about the Nitrocharger shocks- I'm sure you know they're made by OME so they can advise you whether they'll work with the springs you want or not- just a thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94