Pure speculation: 4.5L diesel Hummer H2

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Ryanmb21 said:
..put the engine from my 4runner (or a diesel) in an H3, i'd give it a look.

Save the diesel, why hate on the GM I5; it is a great engine? I've never owned one but have been very impressed by their design and drivability.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I think the whole "soccer mom" H2 Fad is pretty much over with, they've since stepped up to their CLS Benz or Chrysler 300. There's always one "gotta have it" vehicle on the market that burns out quick. I've seen a few H2's off road, they actually do pretty good as long as they aren't running anything larger than a 35" tire. I'm super excited about all of the smaller diesels coming out!!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
ujointclothing said:
I think the whole "soccer mom" H2 Fad is pretty much over with...

There's always one "gotta have it" vehicle on the market that burns out quick.

:iagree:

What I've seen in my area is that the H2 has come and gone quicker than a hiccup.

The new Mom-mobile....? Sorry fellas, but around here the FJ Cruiser is the new Mom Cruiser. That really surprised me.

It really chaps my derriere that the one black TRD edition FJ we have in town is owned and driven by a Mom with two kids. It looks sweet at the grocery store parking lot.....:rolleyes:

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Yeah, seems like GM went the soccer mom route w/the H2 and that has bled over to the H3. It sucks for aftermarket parts - try finding an aftermarket winch bumper?? yeah, for the 1st year or two there was nothing but homebrew stuff. It's getting a little better, but there's still only about 3 or 4 major manufacturers. 90% of aftermarket is chrome, yuck! And because it's a hummer, everything is ridiculously overpriced - nevermind that my brother's '07 1500 was $5k more than my H3, he can still get a winch bumper for 1/2 the price it costs me :(

And if you look at the recent union contracts & talk on Hummer forums, there is plan for a diesel in the H2, but no plans whatsoever in the H3. With the new Alpha (V8, cast iron front dif), that's gonna hit 99% of the H3 market. Hearing about some of the design issues with fitting the V8, and the small market for diesel, it's probably not worth the effort for GM. Bummer :(

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Did I here "smaller diesel?" Perhaps in the new Power Wagons??? Music to my ears... :) Oh ya, that's too bad about the FJ's. Haven't seen that too much around these parts yet though.

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
ridefruita said:
The 4.5 Dmax is going to be a 2010 model. Released in 2009. Here is a great place with all kind of discussion about the new engine. Even a few mentions of use in Hummer. Personally I am way more interested in the development of a 1500 with the diesel. Ummm 30mpg in a full size pick up.

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Here is a thread about Hummers wheeling from Pirate. Lots of H2's and H3's.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=583602

What is sad is they will likely detune it to get 23-25 mpg more likely... It probably could get 30 mpg with a tune designed for mileage but they tune for power...

kbellve

Observer
Those soccer mom SUVs are eventually sold...to people like us. Hate them all you want, but they provide a steady source of great used 4WDs..

I drive a Lexus LX450 owned previously by a soccer mom that is no longer mall parking lot limited.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles