seanpistol's 01 Tundra

seanpistol

Explorer
Glad to see people referencing my old build thread for ideas.

Here's the build thread on this board, thought it may make obtaining info a little easier for anyone who may wants it -

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/18722-Petersons-Ultimate-Adventure-Tundra

Yes sir, your truck was awesome and inspirational. I liked it even before it was solid axle-

tundra.jpg
0e3aac1dc328af2d158479cd8a230cf4_3327.jpg

I am talking to a guy about a used ARB Sahara bar for cheap, we'll see if that works out or not since it's not real close.

Last edited:

seanpistol

Explorer
Well, I've saved a few bucks for the truck fund and am trying to prioritize my large list of wants. This is what I'm thinking about doing in the very near future-

- a 30" LED combo spot/flood light bar to light up the woods, mounted on top of the bumper in front of the grille.

- ARB air locker for the rear. I entertain the idea of re-gearing at this time. A new front and rear third with 4.56 Nitro gears and the ARB in the rear- completely set up and shipped for $2600. I should be able to easily install myself. If I just do the ARB in my current rear end with 3.91s, I have to pull the third member, take it to the shop and then wait a few days without a vehicle before I can re-install. This would still cost me about $1500 in parts/labor. So do I suck it up and fork out the extra $1000 to have a much nicer gear ratio, plus have the gears set up by a place that really knows what they're doing? Hmm..

- My flimsy rear bumper is nicely dented from a tree that jumped out of nowhere, so a custom replacement is high on my list of wants. I'm also tired of dragging that thing and the hitch that hangs below it. I should be able to loose 7" with a new one and trim the quarter panel to give me a much better departure angle. I'd like an integrated hitch receiver, shackle mounts, and some rear quarter panel protection. Simple. I talked with a few local fab shops and it seems they could whip up something pretty easily.

make this-

more like this-

seanpistol

Explorer
Also in my plans for the fall are to upgrade from 199mm calipers to the larger 231mm 13wl Tundra calipers and replace the rotors while I'm at it. Not sure which rotors to go with yet- maybe just a new set of stock rotors.

I would also like to replace my electric fan controller with a variable-speed controller from Flex-a-lite that also comes with an override toggle switch to manually turn the fans on or off.

Derek24

Explorer
All sounds good! I like the way our trucks look with the quarter panel cut off and a custom rear bumper. I'd like to do that as well. The cheapest I got quoted for a gear change was $500 front and rear with me taking both 3rds out, so add a couple more 100's if you take the whole truck in. We talked, you know what I would do...

BrianTN

Adventurer
I'm a big fan of trimming the rear quarter panel with a new bumper. I plan on trimming mine level with the side molding straight back. I just haven't come up with a design yet. I wish Addicted made one similar to their front bumper.

Which light bar are you going with? I'm thinking of getting one of those Sniper 4 row 20" light bars.

seanpistol

Explorer
I'm a big fan of trimming the rear quarter panel with a new bumper. I plan on trimming mine level with the side molding straight back. I just haven't come up with a design yet. I wish Addicted made one similar to their front bumper.

Which light bar are you going with? I'm thinking of getting one of those Sniper 4 row 20" light bars.

Those quad row bars put out a ton of light. I'm going to stick with one of the double rows, most likely a 30" and most likely a Sniper because it's $300 shipped.

Nobody makes a good rear bumper for our trucks, gotta have one made! I have gotten quotes for between $350 and $450. Unless you have the skills and tools to do it yourself.

MobTuff

Observer
Those quad row bars put out a ton of light. I'm going to stick with one of the double rows, most likely a 30" and most likely a Sniper because it's $300 shipped.

Nobody makes a good rear bumper for our trucks, gotta have one made! I have gotten quotes for between $350 and $450. Unless you have the skills and tools to do it yourself.

I'm really bummed about the aftermarket bumper availability for our trucks. There are so many great front and rear bumpers for the newer toyotas. I'm itching to get a new front and rear bumper for mine. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

I am talking to a guy about a used ARB Sahara bar for cheap, we'll see if that works out or not since it's not real close.

Any luck with getting the Sahara bumper? I really wish they would change the chrome to black and add some more protection to the lights...

Clutch

<---Pass
I'm really bummed about the aftermarket bumper availability for our trucks. There are so many great front and rear bumpers for the newer toyotas. I'm itching to get a new front and rear bumper for mine. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

couple ideas

tundrabuild-28.jpg

tundrabuild-21.jpg

BUMPER014.jpg

toyotech

Expedition Leader
love what you done to your truck so far. i have a question about your upper control arms. do they allow more clearance between the arm and spring? i just picked up a 04 tundra that came with a spacer lift kit up front. at full droop i can see the stock upper arm hit the stock spring. it doesnt make any noise or anything but i think i could get more droop if there was room. if new upper arms will give me that clearance i want it

seanpistol

Explorer
Camburg says their upper A arms with uniballs give 4" of additional droop over stock with the swaybar removed :)

seanpistol

Explorer
Any luck with getting the Sahara bumper? I really wish they would change the chrome to black and add some more protection to the lights...

No luck on the Sahara bumper. A guy told me he wanted $400 for it, hasn't responded since I said I wanted it. Maybe he realized he could get more.

The chrome piece is removable and has been painted black before. And headlight protection added, kind of like this?

newbarfront.jpg
siderearsiderail.jpg

pulled those off of http://www.teddnet.com

Derek24

Explorer
You should pull the trigger on the 100 series land cruiser ARB bumper! Look so much better I think! Not so big....

seanpistol

Explorer
I have around 3" of lift. Not entirely sure because I didn't measure how it sat stock.

I popped the mirror covers off and painted them with Rustoleum bedliner. The first time I taped it all off and painted them that way... was more work and didn't turn out as nice as just popping them off.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
You should pull the trigger on the 100 series land cruiser ARB bumper! Look so much better I think! Not so big....

is that a direct bolt on? i havent seen anyone do this before but i do want the "normal" arb bumper that allows a winch to be installed as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles