seanpistol's 01 Tundra

seanpistol

Explorer
"New" flange was better, but still had a runout of .010", almost 3x what it is allowed to be. Turns out the pinion itself is bad. In the shop for a regear of the front end.

Last time I bought a used diff it came with a burned up ring gear and I swore I wouldn't do it again. I did it again and it bit me in the ***!

I swear the truck is mad at me. I found a torn inner CV boot a couple days ago.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Because if you from your last experience. I wouldn't buy any used diffs but you go and break your rule

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanpistol

Explorer
Final outcome for the front diff was that the where the race for the pinion bearing sat was somehow egg shaped. The race is supposed to be hammered in and it could very easily be installed and uninstalled with your fingers. It was allowing the pinion to wobble. Got a new clamshell and the problem is completely gone. Truck drives 90 mph vibration free.

Motivated to sell and dropped the price on the truck $1000 today- see page 1.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Glad it was fixed. Never would have figure it was the pinion to cause the vibration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

seanpistol

Explorer
Not sure how it happened, but I was sold that it was something in the front diff from the start. The gears I bought were claimed to have been set up 3000 miles prior by ECGS, who you think knows what they're doing. I wonder if it happened in the wreck- maybe when the truck flipped it landed on the front driveshaft? Regardless, nice to have the problem fixed! Once again, I'd advise against buying used gears...

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Yeah. I need to start shopping for gears and harrop locker.

Why you close your IG?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

seanpistol

Explorer
Ehhh I just don't know that I feel that social media is healthy. Instagram was all I had, not a Facebook user. A lot better things to do with my limited time!

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Ehhh I just don't know that I feel that social media is healthy. Instagram was all I had, not a Facebook user. A lot better things to do with my limited time!

Haha. Yeah it's pretty time consuming but it allows me to share my builds without having to add them in FB.

seanpistol

Explorer
Well... truck is no longer for sale! Some people may have expected this from me.

I was going to sell it so that I could afford to purchase a diesel. I want to start a little side gig with a gooseneck dump trailer hauling gravel, topsoil, bark chips, and landscaping materials... Eventually get a skidsteer and mini excavator.

My old lady was not happy to see the Tundra go from the beginning and I'm not going to lie... she's pretty much the boss. We decided to keep the Toyota and purchase a diesel anyway. Woo! Snowmobile is on the chopping block, though- so if anyone wants a 2015 Pro Rmk 800 155"... :friday:

tyv12

Adventurer
I was waiting for this:) you won't regret keeping it! You were just angry at your front diff haha

seanpistol

Explorer
Haha, I wasn't mad at the truck- the truck was mad at me! There were a handful of things that needed to suddenly be fixed as soon as I started cleaning her up to sell. One fog light stopped working. The next day one of the HIDs went out. The next day a CV boot tore. The fan clutch started to get really noisy. Then the front diff issue... The same thing happened last time... she was throwing a fit!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94