XP Camper

DirtyDog

Adventurer
Well I can tell you we were all pretty impressed with the XP Camper. Marc has really raised the bar for lightweight popup camping in comfort.

dzzz

Mid-size trucks aren't stout enough to meet the 2000 lb carrying capacity recommendation. So we're talking full size trucks here.

The 2010 crew cab 2500 pickups come in two wheelbases: Short (about 150) and long (about 165). The exact numbers vary with the manufacturer.

For the short wheelbase trucks, the distance from the back of the crew cab to the axle is about 40 inches. Long wheelbase cab to axle is 55 inches, more or less.

The flatbed on the XPCamper prototype is about 100 inches in length. The Hemi powered Dodge Power Wagon is available only with the short wheelbase, 149 inches, and cab-to-axle of 40 inches. Personally, I'd choose the longer wheelbase to reduce the rear overhang (and to be able to have the Cummins diesel).

I hope people put these on one ton SRW pickups. The numbers will say a 3/4 ton should be enough. But, well, we know how THAT goes.

Having owned a dodge pickup I can recommend a 2011 Ford diesel one ton SRW without hesitation. :)

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I hope people put these on one ton SRW pickups. The numbers will say a 3/4 ton should be enough. But, well, we know how THAT goes.

Having owned a dodge pickup I can recommend a 2011 Ford diesel one ton SRW without hesitation. :)
After almost being bankrupted by the 6.0 engine and owner's complaining of the abysmal 6.4 fuel economy,I hope Ford's in-house 6.7 works out well for them. The 5.5' reduction in turning diameter thanks to coils up front, along with the build quality and huge cab makes it a winner. Just don't pop the hood.

thecarman

After almost being bankrupted by the 6.0 engine and owner's complaining of the abysmal 6.4 fuel economy,I hope Ford's in-house 6.7 works out well for them... Just don't pop the hood.

You don't have to pop the hood when the dealer pulls the body off the chassis for engine repairs, right? :Wow1: Or has that changed since 2005 with the newest body/chassis?

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Noises Heard ?

I heard some noises today that Marc might be working on a non-cabover prototype design for a smaller vehicle, such as a LR D130 or similar size. I really like the idea of a non-cabover, hard-side, composite construction, pop-up cabin.

Hooray! Marc Wassmann is now taking orders for the production version of the XPCamper. The web site has been updated with photos, options and prices. See http://www.xpcamper.com

The web site shows several sample configurations, ranging from $23.5K for the unfinished shell (including the pop-up roof, entry door, windows, bathroom and pre-wiring for lights) up to $59K "fully loaded." These prices do not include the truck or the flatbed (tray) that the camper rests on.

The production schedule takes 3 to 5 months. 20% down is required to secure your spot in the schedule. See the web site for more details.

If you can't wait this long, the XPCamper prototype is for sale. Update: The Prototype 1.1, shell only, is for sale for $14,500.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Univers,San-Serif]

[/FONT]

I heard some noises today that Marc might be working on a non-cabover prototype design for a smaller vehicle, such as a LR D130 or similar size. I really like the idea of a non-cabover, hard-side, composite construction, pop-up cabin.

Very interesting... Now what would prevent somebody for fitting this one onto a flatbed trailer like a Foldable Kendon or any 5x8 landscape trailer?

I would be all for it (and talked to Marc :)...

Just wondering if I have a crazy idea or if I am not alone.

Thanks
Christian

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Christian, I've thought about the "slide-in on a trailer" idea as well, but I'd still go with a cabover. My plan would be to go that route to initially save the expense of buying a truck, but still have a kicka$$ camper. Then when more funds became available, I would buy an appropriate truck to mount the flatbed and camper to.
The camper is so light, it could be pulled by most any vehicle, even my minivan!

Christian, I've thought about the "slide-in on a trailer" idea as well, but I'd still go with a cabover. My plan would be to go that route to initially save the expense of buying a truck, but still have a kicka$$ camper. Then when more funds became available, I would buy an appropriate truck to mount the flatbed and camper to.
The camper is so light, it could be pulled by most any vehicle, even my minivan!

exactly my thinking.
Have a good affordable camper, on the trailer.
The camper can be the same as the one for the Pickup truck. Maybe just at the design phase a few things need to be planned for it. but at least have 1 base for both. With maybe added accessories for the Trailer part or vice versa.

Christian

Accrete

Explorer
Great work on the build Marc!

A couple of questions on the XP. I've read the updated website and specs.
If the base rig were a 2011 F350 Chassis Crew Cab 176" wheel base what modifications are made to the flat bed to accomodate the higher cab of the superduty? Is there more "basement" with the extra 4" needed to lift the camper off the deck?

Are there alternatives for flat beds? There is an oregon builder that does amazing work near Medford and there is no sales tax for oregon residence on vehicles/upfitments or RVs. I can PM you their info if you wish.

thx for any reply,
Thom

haven

Expedition Leader
The XPCamper is designed to be mounted on a flatbed. One reason
why the flatbed was chosen over a chassis-mounted design is that
the camper can be easily removed from the truck. That lets you
use the truck for other purposes.

Here's a series of photos that show the XPCamper prototype being
used as a truck, without the camper on board:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3738/

Accrete

Explorer
thanks you two. i did find the other forum that he seems to frequent on the XPC side of things.

thx for the additional thoughts on the flat bed...i am totally sold on the idea. just trying to find any options and refrain from paying needless sales tax.

: )

Accrete

Explorer
just a ramble...

My wife is gaga over the XPCamper : )
As mentioned elsewhere we are trying to replace her daily driver that we sold (in my sig links) and off road trailer, and we both see many things about the XPC to get excited about.

An XPCamper as a Daily Driver? Are you crazy? Well, maybe. BUT we are also spontanious, live on the beautifuly WET! Oregon Coast, have places to explore right down the road. So yea, XPCDD : )

I am enjoying my communique' with XPC-Marc and look forward to the possibility that his creation will be sitting in our driveway! And the hope that my dearly beloved will let me drive it now and again.

Cheers,
Thom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94